Deja Blu & Eskimo Pie....HELP

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
k9clipper

Deja Blu & Eskimo Pie....HELP

Post by k9clipper »

These 2 hostas are really struggling this year, I didnt think they were coming back at all, but now they are and they are teeny tiny. Would it be a good idea to dig them up and pot them and see if they make it through next winter better in a pot? or just leave them in the ground and see what happens?
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

I would pot them up

Lost Eskimo Pie in my problematic dry edge... not the first one lost there.. took me some time to learn :roll:

Deja Blu is in a pot here and growing fine... ordinary potting soil wit some grit for drainage and some alfalfa.
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

Deja Blu is very slow to come up. Eskimo Pie is just very slow. A pot might help the latter so you can water it more often/keep an eye on the moisture level. Deja Blu might just be taking its time?
Rookie_Green_Thumb

Post by Rookie_Green_Thumb »

I've had the same problem with about three of my hosta....coming back teeny weenie....so I went ahead and potted them with some good soil and intend to baby them this summer and keep a closer eye on them rather than be in the garden.

Good luck!
Jaime
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

My Deja Blu just started to poke thru a couple days ago and everything else is up and unfurling or is already leafed out completely. It looks to be only one little eye... :???:
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
jgh

Post by jgh »

Sometimes a hosta coming back teeny weenie is an indication that it was planted too deep.

I've done this more than once... planted the crown deep because I knew it was a difficult place, like very dry... then the hosta comes back really tiny. What happens is the crown actually rots and then the remaining roots try to send up some tiny eyes... almost like starting back over with a seedling.

Not saying this is what happened for you, but check them out if you dig them for potting. I understand hostas being slow - like Eskimo Pie - but if they go backward there is usually something wrong...
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

While this is my first spring for "Deja Blu" I must concur though it is slow as molasses, easily the slowest one I have.
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I'm happy to hear that Deja Blu is slow to appear, because I was getting worried that I lost mine! Maybe there is still hope for it. :???:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
addieotto
Location: Southern NJ Lat: 39° 47' 17.916" Lon: -74° 59' 13.56"

Post by addieotto »

Well just to show you that hosta will always do something wacky, my Deja Blu is all up and out, waving his leaves around like a crazy plant while some of my others still aren't even up. One year you wait forever on a plant ... the next year he does something silly like pop up early.

Eskimo Pie .. now that's one slow hosta. Pretty enough, but slow.

Sue
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

My Deja Blu is not up yet either; I was worried too, Joan!
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

My Deja Blu was just little nubs above the soil the other day when I was covering. I had to get my bifocals the right distance from it to even see them so I could put the extra soil in the right spot. :wink:

My Eskimo Pie may go into a pot this year. It can't hurt it...
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Well....I went out this afternoon to check on my Deja Blu again and ,lo and behold, I did find two small eyes peeking up out of the ground!! Yahoo!!

I'm not so sure about my Eskimo Pie. I think I've found the spot it's planted in, but it's hard to tell so early. Whatever is there has two teeny tiny things that might be eyes, but it just doesn't look right, so whatever it is might need to be potted up to help it along. I'll wait a few weeks to give more of my hostas a chance to appear and unfurl. Then I can identify them better. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
New Topic Post Reply