fertilize?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
django

fertilize?

Post by django »

What suggestions do you have for fertilizing your hostas? My hostas look great, but maybe they could look even better! Except for that hadspen heron....

I'm not new to the forum, just a silent participant! I read it every night and recently received my first-ever order from Hallson Gardens. My old and new hostas are enjoying this rainy weekend.

Elaine
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Glad you 'de-lurked', Elaine!! :D Welcome to the forums.

I'm planning to use some Osmocote-type time release fertilizer around my hostas eventually. Just work it into the soil above the top of the roots a little. And water or let nature water for you.

I also plan to get some alfalfa pellets if I can find any. I looked a couple of weeks ago where I had gotten some several years ago & they were out. None at the farm supply store either. Guess it wasn't meant to be that weekend...

If I'm planting a new hosta or replanting, I mix the alfalfa pellets into the soil I'm mixing to plant in. And I put the time release fertilizer into the hole I dig along with the water-absorbing crystals. Then I fill the hole with water a couple of times & let it slowly drain. If the soil is dry & draining fast then I fill the hole a 3rd time. Then I plant the hosta & water again once it's firmed into the ground. By then I figure that both fertilizers & the crystals have been activated.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Lessadragon
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by Lessadragon »

All I use is Alfalfa pellets. I find that they like it just fine and I have too many to do more than that with. :roll: :lol:

Lynn
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

I also use alfalfa pellets when planting and some alfalfa tea later in the season. You want to avoid too much, too early in the season as it can certainly increase your risk of drawstring effect on some varieties. I learned that the hard way one year.

Ann
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
NancyL

Post by NancyL »

Since I have a constant vole problem I have to fertilize my hostas. They either dig them up and lay them on their sides or defoliate them. I use Algoflash either the Flowering Plant or All-Purpose formulas. The Flowering plant formula is 4-6-7. The P and K build big roots so that if the plant is attacked they always come back although smaller and sometimes the next year. That way it helps me protect the nice varieties that I have. It is much cheaper than replacing them. I also use it on my daylilies and irises. Since I like to provide plants for our Master Gardener plant sale it gives me lots of new growth to share every year.
The kiss of the sun for pardon
The song of the birds for mirth
One is nearer God's heart in the garden
Than anywhere on earth
Doris Frances Gurney "Garden Thoughts"
Tkzone7

Post by Tkzone7 »

Another Alfalfa user here.

If you go to the journal's section you can see my garden first planted. And a few weeks later after 2 days of Alfalfa being worked in. A big difference already.
greenguy

Post by greenguy »

I like to use all organic whenever i can.

once (heavy) in spring then maybe again one more time if i get around to it
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

Milorganite is good for them and deer don't like the smell. Cheap too.
Osmocote type of slow release fertilizer is real good and pretty expensive.
I rarely fertilize mine. Probably should this year in the new place.
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

I use plain ole Miracle Grow on mine :D

Ginger
addieotto
Location: Southern NJ Lat: 39° 47' 17.916" Lon: -74° 59' 13.56"

Post by addieotto »

I remember someone - and for some reason I think it was Chris here at Hallson but I'm sure he will correct me if I'm wrong - say he uses Hollytone when he plants as well as Milorganite and some type of alfalfa fertilizer (can't remember what). Since reading that, I use Hollytone when I plant and as a part of my regular schedule but I can't get Milorganite around here.

I start the season out with a light broadcast of Hollytone on the hosta beds, then layer 1/2 cooked leaf compost from the winter and aged wood chip mulch on top which is usually chock full of worm castings :D . Then I use a sprinkle of Osmocote after about one month to six weeks later mixed into the mulch. This year I am going to fertilize a third time with some sort of alfalfa based fertilizer and I'm thinking of a foliar fertilizer I saw this year that is something like a worm casting tea (assuming I can find it again).

Although it seems like a lot, all of my fertilizer applications are pretty minimal in amounts. Also I live in a sand pit so I'm sure it disolves away quicker than I can apply it. I think if I had better soil that retained moisture I probably wouldn't be so fertilizer happy. Despite this... I seem to be on a trend of using more every year which is probably just the OCD kicking in!!!! :roll:

Maybe in about 10 years the decomposing leaves and wood will help create some real soil around here :lol:

Fertilized photo from last year: Gold Standard in the center, Big Daddy at 12:00, clockwise to Carnival, a leaf of Taiwan, Paradise Joyce, Yellow River streaked eye plus others here and there in the background.

SUE
My hosta blog: http://myhostagardens.com
New Topic Post Reply