Secret Trade Received!

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

AlwaysWeeding

Post by AlwaysWeeding »

Thanks Cheryl!
Attachments
The group
The group
AlwaysWeeding
My Hallsons Page -- viewtopic.php?t=44071&highlight=alwaysweeding
AlwaysWeeding

Post by AlwaysWeeding »

and the Feeder
Attachments
HummingbirdFeeder.JPG
AlwaysWeeding
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

WOW....I love seeing people having fun in the trades!! :cool:
allhuskrred

Post by allhuskrred »

WOW!!! I was extremely surprised when I looked out the door today and saw what looked like a box and thought that the secret trade wouldn't be here yet but sure enough there it sat but not for long as I grab it and dashed indoors ripping my shirt on the way in ,

So I started to rip open the box( because I should have experience ripping things right :D )And there lies 6 beautiful plants, All wrapped in a little evening reading, Boy no wonder we love the Secret Trade

Audrey, (party-music50) sent me:
Cherry Berry- one I lost and am glad to have
Christmas -One that did NOT want to leave
Allen P, McConnell- don't know much about,
Wylde Green Cream-very nice
Montana Aureo marginata
and companion plant:
Pulmanaria'Diane Claire -looks awesome

And to think that Audrey's first ever Hallson's trade is so well liked. Thanks alot Audrey they are beautiful and well taken care of
Last edited by allhuskrred on May 30, 2008 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

Hey :D Colette, Always Weeding, I think I am about as happy as you are getting them reading your nice note and pictures too! Now I know that they made it ok. I just love to figure out what someone else might like. I have the little hummingbird feeders right outside my computer window and the orioles have figured out how to hang onto the shepards hook and stretch around to drink from them. When I filled them the other day a hummer surprised me and if I didn't move so fast, I think he would have drank from it as I was holding it. Enjoy your hostas. :bd: Glad you didn't buy June Fever the other day--it is a fav of mine.

Happy Planting !!
Cheryl
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

Allen, I am still cracking up about the shirt ripping--not too excited were you :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like something I would do!
AlwaysWeeding

Post by AlwaysWeeding »

And I thought it was just me. I went back to work with a little bit of dirt on my nice clean shirt cause I had to pot stuff right away!
AlwaysWeeding
Tkzone7

Post by Tkzone7 »

Woohoo, I'm next!

Thank you so much whitewater176, aka Steve and Deb.
I got 3 amazing plants.

Tiny Tears ~ I have wanted this for a while. It's my first mini!
Minuteman ~ Another want.
Fried Green Tomatoes ~ Another want!

Thank you so very much. It was great coming home to my new hosta babies. My niece is spending some time with us and she was just as into it as I was.
whitewater176

Post by whitewater176 »

so glad we could pick hostas you didn't have and saw that you were interested in minis in your journal so thought tiny tears would be perfect as it grows like a weed around here.
Deb
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

I hope that everything was in good condition when it arrived, Allen! Allan P. McConnell is one of my favorite small hostas... it's always neat and perfect, so reminds me of a man in a tux. :) The Wylde Green Cream hasn't "colored up" for the season yet, but when it does it always draws my garden visitors to it -- it likes a little sun here. And, don't tell the others, but montana Aureomarginata is my fav. lol!

Thanks for being such a nice first-time secret trade partner.
:)
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
digs57

Post by digs57 »

Me too, me too, me too!!! I got mine this afternoon - and it was posted only yesterday! Hahahah, and guess who was my ST? None other but our very own organizer, Nathalie! Merci beaucoups, ma chere! Tous les plantes sont merveilleuses, elles sont arrivees en tres bonne forme, et je suis completement enchantee avec ce cadeau!

I got five gorgeous healthy & big plants, including Praying Hands (probably one of the most unique hostas in hostadom), plus four others: Flower Power, Carnival, Abiqua Moonbeam, and El Capitan, all new to my garden. I'm going to have a very busy weekend, what with moving things around to make appropriate space for these new little darlings!

Thank you again, Nathalie!
[/img]
...greening up the Great White North!!!

Digs' hosta list
45° 22' N 75° 43' W, 114 metres (374 ') above sea level.
jgh

Post by jgh »

Mine just arrived - wow! (I'm a little red-faced :oops: as I just today started walking around the garden with a list to choose something to send to my secret trade recipient... I will get it out before the deadline!)

"John" (strange handle... how did you come up with it?! :wink: ) from New Jersey sent a package with five lovely hostas. He was kind enough to go through my long list to find things I don't have - and then sent five of the nicest-looking divisions I've ever seen in a secret trade.

H. clausa this is the species named for its flower buds, which don't open (clausa = closed). Zillis says it is a small plant but, as it is rhyzomatous, can form huge colonies... Zillis describes one as 103" across and still growing!

H. Gum Drop One of the oldest "families", and one that I have quite a few members of, is Gold Drop and its sports. I have GD, Abby, Amy Elizabeth, Crown Jewel, Dew Drop, and Forest Shadows all planted together - but somehow never added Gum Drop to the family - until now! Zillis calls it green, but John describes it as blue, and that's what I'd call it.

H. Little Wonder This is a very sharp little plant from the Lachman breeding program

H. Maraschino Cherry This is the all green sport of Cherry Berry. It retains the red petioles and descriptions suggest it is very vigorous - I believe it based on the giant division John sent.

H. Royalty I know the least about this one... a nice small-medium gold one with nice leaf form... Zillis only mentions it in a list of "similar to" so I don't know the heritage.

thank you, John, for your generosity and hard work - they will go into pots in the morning!
Tkzone7

Post by Tkzone7 »

whitewater176 wrote:so glad we could pick hostas you didn't have and saw that you were interested in minis in your journal so thought tiny tears would be perfect as it grows like a weed around here.
Deb
Again, thank you! You did great! I can't wait to get them in the ground. I have them soaking now.
fenceberry

Post by fenceberry »

A big thanks to MrHeinz77 for the box chock full of hostas I found on my doorstep after work today.

I got Ophir, the bright yellow color almost blinded me. I didn't even know I wanted this one till I saw it. I love when that happens.
Cinnamon Sticks, the red pets look great and it's another new one to me.
Alligator Shoes, already large and bumpily. I've been thinking of this one for quite sometime and just hadn't gotten around to getting it.
And Spilt Milk. I am glad to get this one to replace the one I lost last year. I was just talking to a co-worker today about replacing it.

Thanks Jim, I really appreciate it.
hostamom

Post by hostamom »

I got my secret trade yesterday-didn't get home from work until early eve, so they are not planted yet. Hopefully that will happen this eve. All the plants that Mikky sent to me are new to my garden, and I couldn't be more thrilled!! I received: Galaxy, Kabitan, Torchlight & Candy Dish (love those ruffles!) along with a lovely division of sedum 'Frosty Morn'. Thank you SO much, Mikky. How thoughtful you were to check my list and try to find some hostas I did not have. I think what makes this almost better than Xmas is-NO SNOW!! What a long winter we had here in NW OH.
Thanks Nathalie for organizing this!! My trade is going out on Monday, and will head West.
Marsha aka hostamom
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Secret Trade

Post by Marlys »

I saw the mailman's vehicle then heard a car door, my heart began to pump a little faster, I peeked out the screen door and here the mailman came with a long rectangle box in his hand. I pushed open the door then realizing I hadn't even stopped to put down the laundry in my arms. The mm handed me the pkg then he asked, "How do you get your hostas so big." I got my shoes on and went out to talk with him. He likes hostas!

I didn't want to be rude but all I could think about was the box he brought. As soon as he went on his way I was in the kitchen, knife in hand, cutting the pkg tape.

I actually read the letter first from grdnnkid and what a really nice letter it was. Thank you so much, Brian. I enjoyed getting to know you from your letter.

And I love the plants you sent me. They are all new to my garden - Abby, Dance With Me, & Dancing Queen. I really appreciate the information you wrote on each plant.

And I have wanted 'Dance with Me' for the longest time & I am so excited to have Kent's 'Dancing Queen'. I am into yellow and rippled, waving edges. And I like the hosta 'Abby' too. Believe it or not, Gold Drop hostas line my pathway (well partially).

Thank you again, Brian. You done GOOD!

MM
John

Post by John »

Glad you liked them, jgh! I looked at your list and realized it would be a challenge to find anything not on it already... made it a lot of fun! Hope they all grow and do well for you.
steg
USDA Zone: 5

Me too!

Post by steg »

A little (OK, big) box arrived this morning...........thank you so much Hostahaveum!

All arrived in wonderful condition - nice roots!

Guacamole, Blue Blazes, Pineapple Upside Down Cake....all are awesome additions to our collection here. FYI - Pineapple Upside Down Cake is in the front bed so that I can see it every time I come home.

:P
morgansrgr8
USDA Zone: 5

Post by morgansrgr8 »

Well imagine my surprise when I go to the mailbox and a large package is sticking out of it! :o I didn't sign up for the trade but there in the mail was a box from Whitewater176 with 4 beautiful hosta and the cutiest name tags I have ever seen.
Sent were
Guacamole-one of my favs
Fried Green Tomatoes-Can't wait to smell the flowers
X-ray-really cute
Minuteman-one for the sex theme bed? :eek:
They are planted beside the window where I sit and have coffee every morning and I can't wait till the sweet scent comes in the window from them.
The folks in this forum are the greatest bunch I am proud to know.
Thankyou so very much. I am going to try to make the same kind of tags with who they are from
Linda
I know I am past the point of no return but what a way to go.

My Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Awwwww, Linda....How cool!! That was so nice/sweet of Whitewater to do that!! Yep, Hallson's rocks!!! :P
New Topic Post Reply