Rainforest Sunrise vs Little Sunspot

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Rainforest Sunrise vs Little Sunspot

Post by caliloo »

I can't see much (if any) difference between these two. I have both and if someone swapped their positions in my garden, I'm not sure I would ever notice.

Have you seen any difference bewteen these two?

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

My Rainforest Sunrise still being alive is the biggest difference... :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I'm not quite in the same boat as Renaldo, my Little Sunspot is still alive, but here's the story. I got a really nice sized Little Sunspot in one of the secret trades in 02. I planted it out where I put all my hostas to get some good growth, and it got smaller instead. I finally moved it a couple years ago, and now it's almost back up to the size it was when I got it.
A tiny piece of Rainforest Sunrise that I got in 05 is a monster now, and one leaf is probably nearly as large as the entire plant of Little Sunspot.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
jgh

Post by jgh »

yup... the main difference in my garden is that RS grows rapidly and LS grows sometimes. Leaves are a little larger on RS.

Zilis described Little Sunspot as spectacular, which encouraged me to stick with it way too long. I've got several around the gardens and a couple are nice, but none have lived up to the original hype.

There is a plant that grows even slower for me than LS... its Little Aurora, the all yellow parent of LS. Don't know why two other sports of LA, Sultana and Tattoo, grow well for me.

People who like the looks would do well with RS and its parent, the all-yellow Maui Buttercups...

or from Little Aurora heritage, there is Just So, a favorite of mine...

and another LA cross resulted in Vanilla Cream and its family Wylde Green Cream and Ice Cream and Peppermint Cream and Pistachio Cream and the inexplicably-named Heart and Soul
jgh

Post by jgh »

I just looked at two RS and two LS in different spots in my garden. The leaves on RS are at least twice as long and twice as wide as those on LS. They are also kind of cupped, which LS aren't. I wouldn't have ever described them as similar...

how big are the leaves on your plants? I wonder if you might have two of the same thing.
Kent

Post by Kent »

Alexa,

I wish I had seen your post before returning from the Dalton's today. They have the best RS I have ever seen. It's much bigger than LS and deeply cupped. I'll see if I can get meg to send a pic so I can show you. It's a 10 in my opinion. while LS rates a three to me.

Kent
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Little Sunspot vs Rainforest Sunrise

Post by Marlys »

Ditto!!! What Reldon Said!!! - report from Marlys' Garden

MM
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Thanks everyone.

I guess I'm not too surprised by the reports.... my RS is potted and is every bit as big as the LS that I have had growing in the ground for 2 years. I guess that shoudl have given me a hint.

If it ever stop raining I will try to get a photo of them side by side - they look almost identical right now. Given time I will expect RS to outperform LS.

Thanks again!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
whamadiddle
USDA Zone: 5

Post by whamadiddle »

hi alexa - i am in agreement with jim on this one. there is little or no similarity between these two at 5 years old. i finally got a couple pics between raindrops for you.
Attachments
rainforest-sunrise-640.jpg
little-sunspot-640.jpg
Ken
New Topic Post Reply