good thing hostas like water -flooding pic

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Amazing how much difference there can be from one day to the next. This afternoon I was on the street/hwy that was closed yesterday. Still plenty of water in places but the Pizza Hut that had water up to the roof yesterday had a dry parking lot today. Pretty sure it'll be a good while before it's open for business again though. I hadn't thought about it until today when the Coke salesman was in the store, but all of the concession business for the race track was underwater too. That'll be one BIG mess. And the school bus barn is in the flooded area. I heard tonite that the water was 1/2way up the bus windows. :o That'd be a sight...

Dry & sunny today, but I think there was a chance of rain in 3 of the next 5 days in the forecast I saw earlier. I hope it misses us - here & upstream.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Justme

Post by Justme »

My neighborhood is now flooded, I have a hosta bed that is now in a running stream. :eek:

Tami
My Hosta List
It is always something
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

That doesn't sound good!! Is your basement flooded, Tami?
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
markluvskathy

Post by markluvskathy »

63 looks like a river is over it now, and they were pumping water off of 30 last night. Hopefully they don't close it, or I won't make it to work!

We had a slight amount of water in our basement, but sump pump kicked in. The high winds tore off our downspouts. We were under a tornado watch, so was not going to run outside to hook em back up! LOL.....

Our ground is saturated, but not flooded. Makes it real easy to dig!!! We are going to be digging our pond alot sooner than we thought this year! Now I just gotta move the hostas to the fenceline and clear out the area for the pond. NO ONE TOLD ME Pineapple Poll gets that big! But gosh it's pretty!

Hopefully it will dry up soon. Hubbys parents are coming back from vacation a wee bit early, but I have a feeling they won't be able to get home. I heard (someone chime in here?!) Evansdale was evacuated? They live right by there. I know my hosta partner was sandbagging the other day. She lives a couple blocks from my inlaws.

what a mess!
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Eastern IA sounds like a real mess right now. More rain here tonite, but fortunately it wasn't real heavy & hasn't lasted too long. But there's more yet to come. :???: Tornado watch again, but no sirens thankfully. After we survived the flood last week, I hope that upstream isn't getting much rain tonite or we may have it all again... :roll:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
AlwaysWeeding

Post by AlwaysWeeding »

Cedar Rapids, IOWA flooding youtube video link:

[HYPERLINK@youtube.com]
AlwaysWeeding
My Hallsons Page -- viewtopic.php?t=44071&highlight=alwaysweeding
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

I was wondering how our Cedar Rapids people are fairing. Let us know when you can.
Jo
The Garden is a Mirror of the Heart
AlwaysWeeding

Post by AlwaysWeeding »

Judi_P has her kids staying with her. They will be going by to check on the house today. She expects basement flooding only for them, but who knows. She has some flooding in the basement herself, but isn't inside the flood zone itself.

Chellilyn can tell you herself, but so far so good.

I am on a hillside and only have a trickle going to a drain so far. Am more worried about idiot people not cutting down on water consumption and losing it and/or power.

No one in the disaster category that I know of.
AlwaysWeeding
My Hallsons Page -- viewtopic.php?t=44071&highlight=alwaysweeding
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

Glad to hear! With all the records broken, I am sure people have been surprised that they ended up having trouble. Like the channel 7 guy said...we know where the water will go when water is at a certain point, but when records are broken, there is no way to tell.
Jo
The Garden is a Mirror of the Heart
markluvskathy

Post by markluvskathy »

My hosta partner is in Waterloo, and they were evacuated the other day.
She said all of her hostas are underwater - she can't see a one of them. She has a mature blue angel right next to her house, so if she can't see that one, I don't even want to know how high the water is!
She said as they were being evacuated, she could see some of her daylilies floating away. But she is a sport about it - she said - well at least they will beautify someone else's yard(s) where ever they may land!
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Ohhh my... they are showing pics here now... horrible...take care all of you

Whole country was muddy last year, but it is flat with no real rivers, so floodings are see pressed by the wind...

I can't imagine flodings AND tornadoes... think I would run away/ round screaming :eek:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

Egads! I don't know how I missed this thread. Or maybe I just didn't put the name with the topic.

That is an awful lot of flooding. I'm glad everyone is OK.
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Has everything dried out yet (or at least subsided?)
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
New Topic Post Reply