good thing hostas like water -flooding pic

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

markluvskathy

good thing hostas like water -flooding pic

Post by markluvskathy »

two miles from my house

chelielynn

Post by chelielynn »

Ouch...thats now good. I know Iowa's getting hit with alot of flooding this year...Hope is stays away for ya.
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

:o
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

That's pretty high!! Which river is that - the Cedar?? I lived in Cedar Rapids from '75-'81 so I was curious. Also what's the big building in the center of the pic?

No flooding here where I am in hilly SW IA, but we've sure had plenty of rain. Getting more tonite with a bit of hail & a bunch of tornados all around us this evening.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
markluvskathy

Post by markluvskathy »

this is just outside of Tama
Arlene

Post by Arlene »

Oh dear. Can you teach them the backstroke? Hope it goes down soon.
myskyblue2

Post by myskyblue2 »

:o ditto :o I hope you guys will be ok.
Good luck,
LauraImage
hostaaddict

Post by hostaaddict »

We're practically neighbors! We live probably 20 miles or less from Tama. As I am sitting here on the computer, I am again watching Tama get hit by storms. There are more heading towards us too within next half hour or so.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

It sounds like there's more rain coming in the next couple of days. No flooding here on my hilltop (unless you count the water running across the basement floor to the drain after a big rainfall) but weeding is almost effortless.
My hostas are loving all the rain.
Hope that doesn't get anywhere close to your home!
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
chelielynn

Post by chelielynn »

Sounds like I'm not far from you either about an hour. I'm in Cedar Rapids and it seem like the Cedar is constantly over it's banks this year so far. We just got another 1.2 of rain since Midnight and more still coming. Hopefully this slows down some for all of us. Keep us posted.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Plenty more rain here last nite - at least 3 different storms although the last 2 were technically the same one. I don't know how much - will have to ask my neighbor. Tornadoes all around the area too. Sara & I were in the basement for at least an hour & a half after the 1st sirens went off. And I believe they went off 5 times before the nite was over. We lost power and/or phone numerous times. She finally went to spend the rest of the nite at a friend's with a nicer basement. [Ours is pretty much like Linda P's - only probly in worse condition...] She called me after she got there to say that there was a tornado that did damage just south of town about a mile. I don't know any more yet. It was a long nite, and tonite is gonna be a repeat from what the weather man was saying on the news last nite... :roll:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Trudy

Post by Trudy »

Can you believe that water.....Is it closer to your house now,after all the rain you may have had the past two days?

What a year for rain and storms! For some reason I am fearing another 91 and 93, the news says not, but I am not so sure. Flash Flood warnings are everyday now.

Renaldo I thought of you while watching the weather radar, off and on during the night. After the storms that destroyed many homes in the Parkersburg and Attica areas, we do need to take those warnings seriously.

We had somewhere around another 1 1/2 inches again last night. It's getting to be an everyday chore to put mulch back in the beds, and scoop mud off the patio. Could be worse, that mud could be in the basement!

Linda, I'm with you on the weed problems, the clover is loving the moisture.

Like Renaldo says, more storms predicted for today and tonight!

Everyone take care, and heed those storm warnings and sirens.
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Thinking of You

Post by Marlys »

Redon,

We too, were thinking of you last evening while listening to Ed Wilson warning of tornado, tornado, tornado! And taling about severe weather headed towards Corning. Scary weather. Poor folks at Parkersburg. Did that town, Kent get hit last night? Hostas seem so minimal when others are loosing everything.

They were talking golf ball size hail in one area last night. We feel blessed so far not to get major damage. We did loose the top out of another birch tree early Monday morning. Life without a chain saw would be difficult in our neighborhood this year.

MM
markluvskathy

Post by markluvskathy »

from what I heard at work last night while we were all taking shelter from the tornado warnings, that tonight is suppose to be worse weather wise!

I just got home, and I just don't even want to go downstairs to check the basement! At least highway 30 was fine and I didnt' have any problems getting home :)

I just have to tell this story........ two days ago, my 6 year old daughter and my hubby went to check out the creek that is 6ish blocks away from our house, to see how bad it is over the banks. There must be a nice "created pond" from the overflow, and they saw bluegills swimming around in it. My daughter wanted daddy to catch some so she could put them in her aquarium! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Trudy

Post by Trudy »

Here is a good website to watch the radar. If you are not in the area, you can scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on your state.

To get a close up of you town, click around your town and drag your curser in a square in your towns vicinity.

You can also scroll down and see the possible hail size (not always true) and you can see the wind speed.

Click Here

Funny about the chain saw Marlys....someone was here this weekend and looked at our wood pile, and said "You must use a lot of firewood"......we dont use any except for the bonfires. That is all just wood from tree damage.

Like Marlys said, gardens are the least of our worries, when others loss their lifes and homes!
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Today was just wild all day at work [convenience store] due to Hwy 148 [N-S] being closed thru town most of the day. Most of Corning sits on hills except for the 2 blocks on the east side which is about 1/4 mile from the river at the closest spot. And all of the farmland east of town along the river is flat. It's all one huge lake now. The local racetrack is part of that lake which isn't unusual. The local pizza hut had water up to the roof. [They get a remodel out of flood damage every 10-15 years so I hope their flood insurance was paid up this year.] Water was coming up into the Hy-Vee [grocery store] parking lot which is on the west side of the street & the store was evacuated for a while. I don't believe that even happened in 1993. Some homes in that area were evacuated. Along with 15-20 cattle that wouldn't get out of a barn in the worst flooded area. 2 guys had to take a boat in and rope each cow individually to get them out. :o The people who saw it said it was pretty amazing.

Another local highway coming in to the NE side of town was covered with water in a couple of low spots & closed earlier in the afternoon, but open again when Sara & I went 'sightseeing' after I got off work. Another street is flooded just a few blocks south & east of where I live. I don't remember it being flooded in the last 20 years either. There was talk earlier in the day of Hwy 148 being closed from Corning to Hwy 92 which is 20 miles north due to rivers and streams being out of their banks & threatening the highway. Part of Hwy 34 east of town is closed 9 miles east of town.

We didn't go down by where the tornado did damage.

Dave - the cemetary we were in looking for Erin's family stones would have been directly in line with the tornado. The little vineyard on the NE side of the cemetary had damage & a house & barn SW of the cemetary did also. It's where the uncle of the kid I worked with today lives.

Fortunately the water is going down somewhat, but we're still under tornado & flash flood warnings thru the nite again & into tomorrow. And radar is showing a narrow but very long band of a storm stretching from northern TX up thru NW IA. With more storms farther west in Nebraska.

I heard 5" in town and 5" to 7.5" to 9" in areas north and east of here. And we're down stream of those areas. It will only get worse with what we get tonite.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Still here. Although we had more rain most of the evening/night, overall it was a quieter nite. And the sun is shining this morning. :) There were 2 possible tornadoes near us [in our county] last nite, but not real close. Sirens only went off twice. Thankfully. I'm sure the waters are higher again this morning. No way they couldn't be.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Whew...thanks for checking in, Reldon. I was thinking about you again last night when they had all the tornado warnings out. We got some wind damage early this morning, but not a lot, more branches down. I borrowed my dad's little battery powered chain-saw-on-a-stick this spring to clean up some of the ice storm damage, and it's still here. More branches to chop out today!
Every time it clears up for a sec and I get ready to head out the door, another cloud lets loose and dumps some more rain. I can work in the rain, but not the wind and lightning. We've taken a couple strikes so far this year, and I don't want to be out there when it's close by!
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Arlene

Post by Arlene »

Glad to hear from you this morning, Reldon . . . glad you weren't in harm's way last night.

Don't we wish we could store all that extra water for August, when we'll be gasping for it?
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

my goodness! Everyone stay safe...
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
New Topic Post Reply