Zilis Talk this weekend

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

steg
USDA Zone: 5

Zilis Talk this weekend

Post by steg »

Anyone else headed to hear Zillis talk this weekend?
Last edited by steg on Jun 22, 2008 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

I hope to! Wish the book was done, tho!
greenguy

Post by greenguy »

i was planning on sunday but that is out - maybe saturday

also, disappointed about the book - kind of makes me want to skip it
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I have too much going on this weekend , so it's out for me too. :(
Please do give us a report next week. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
steg

Post by steg »

My wife and I are planning on Sat.

I too am disappointed about the book, but that's how it goes sometimes. I'm sure the book will be worth the wait, but it's always nice to hear someone talk too. Not to mention being able to look around as well. Nice place.

We'll let you know how it goes......hope to see some of you there.
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

I'll be there at least Sunday at 1 pm. I might come out Saturday too (11 am). I can't stick around long Saturday. If you see me be sure to introduce yourself.
Attachments
Dave.jpg
Dave.jpg (7.94 KiB) Viewed 2141 times
greenguy

Post by greenguy »

Dr. Dave, you know you kind of look like mark?

it must be your fault the book isn't ready :lol:
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

Zilis talk

Post by thehostagourmet »

Mark is also speaking at First Look. I'll see him there.
George
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

You can come say hi to me too, on Saturday! I am usually the only grey haired lady wearing a skirt. DH has white hair.
steg

see some of you there..

Post by steg »

Feel free to yell out "Steg"....I'm sure I'll be the only one to answer. (If you prefer - Mike is fine too)

Shorts and a blue t-shirt that says GAP - that'll be me
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

Not going to make it after all. :( Enjoy!
spencer1400

We'll Be Threr!

Post by spencer1400 »

We are spending the day at our lake cottage in northern Indiana today and plan to leave for Chesterland early in the morning. We are about 4 hrs away. This is our 30th wedding anniversary weekend and DH is taking me over there as a present. I am sorry about the book not being done, but have never been to Homestead, so this will be a treat.
I hope this storm that just went through here does not get them over there. We have trees down in the front yard!
Hope to see some of you tomorrow. :D

Jane
greenguy

Post by greenguy »

did anyone make it? how was it?
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

I met steg and wife, but didn't get to chat, so I am going back Sunday (today), later in the day to spend some time talking to Mark and any forum members that I meet.
The talk was very good, talking about how Mark got started in the hosta business, then most of it reviewing the history of the books written about hostas, and then talking about a list of the best and worst hostas to own, with examples from the hoop house to show. The talk finished about 12:45 (1.75 hours) but I had to leave a couple minutes early so I could get the food order for my son's graduation party.
steg

awesome...

Post by steg »

As Dave mentioned, we got to meet but unfortunately we didn't get a chance to talk. Maybe next time we're up there?

The talk we great. I really enjoyed learning the history of hostas pretty much from the beginning. Starting from the first books published up through the latest.

It's just nice to get a chance to hear someone talk about something they are passionate about. Way cool. Not to mentioned we now have a few more hosta's that we should somehow find room for. We did pick up a couple hostas and some ferns, not to mention some European Ginger (hard to find that little thing).

All in all, my wife and I spent about 4 hours just looking around and listening. We stuck around for part of the tour afterwards and I enjoyed that as well. Lots of old beautiful trees that I had hardly noticed before. The number of "older" hostas varieties they have is incredible - well worth the trip anytime you're nearby.

I know we'll probably be back there over the 4th of July. Can't wait.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Glad you had a good time! One of these days I'll make it up there to see him talk. I've been up there once and loved it! :)
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

On Sunday I got to meet Spencer1400, who may have traveled the furthest to attend. (Farthest? OK Most far) It thunderstormed right at the end of Mark Zilis's talk, so we spent a lot of time in the hoop house talking.
I tried to get two plants ID'ed that were on the property when I bought it. One probably successful as Rohdeifolia; the other is real big, sort of blue, thought it was Elegans but it is domed and a mild piecrust edge. We decided it is not Blue Mammoth, Green Piecrust or Grey Piecrust, based on looking at Peter Ruh's specimens.
I talked Mark Zilis into coming to visit my garden, and that was a lot of fun to get his impression of my hybridizing efforts. He took tons of pictures. It was still sprinkling off and on, so umbrellas were required. One of these days I hope to get the Ruh's to visit.
steg

Post by steg »

Wow...got the man himself to come see you garden. I'd be a nervous wreck, but that's fantastic. I'm glad you got the chance to visit with him.

Was the talk on Sunday the same as on Sat? Just curious.
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

Pretty sure it was, but I didn't sit through it. I was looking at some of Pete's plants to see if I could ID my leaf.
Guess I better post a pic here.
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

Here is a pic during Saturday's talk.
Note the pile of books on the chair covered due to sprinkles of rain.
Attachments
zilis.JPG
New Topic Post Reply