Not Pic of the Day 6-21-08 What does a guy have to do...

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
jgh

Not Pic of the Day 6-21-08 What does a guy have to do...

Post by jgh »

to get a little respect around here?!

As a young man, I wanted to be an artist. I proved to have no talent for drawing or painting. I stumbled on a book of Albrecht Durer’s woodcuts and was wowed. The only art works I was ever able to sell were some carved wood plaques based on Durer’s work. There is a real value in trying to copy an artist's work. It allows you to appreciate the excellence of the original work – and it teaches humility as you realize just how far short of the original your poor efforts fall.

You’d think Durer would be able to get all the attention he deserves without people creating a myth about him. What Michaelangelo was to the Italian Renaissance and Rembrandt was to the Dutch masters, Durer was to the Northern Renaissance. Many scholars describe him as the most important figure of that era.

The term “Renaissance Man” is thrown around today for anybody who can walk and chew gum at the same time, but Durer qualifies under the traditional definition. He was an artist in many different mediums. He was a writer, an inventor, a religious scholar, a politician… even a mathematician. His influence has affected the world for centuries, even unto this day.

Born in Nuremburg in 1471, the son of a wealthy goldsmith, Durer’s talents were recognized early and he was apprenticed both to his father and to a painter whose studio produced woodcuts to illustrate books. Gutenberg had revolutionized printing one generation earlier, so books were being produced in increasing numbers.
Durer’s woodcuts and metal plate engravings took the illustration of books to new artistic heights.

He was also a painter in oils and watercolors. Though he painted many sacred and secular subjects, including creating many famous altarpieces in central Europe, he complained that oil painting took lots of time and didn’t pay very well. It was his woodcuts and engravings that made him famous throughout Europe and influenced artists everywhere.

Part of Durer’s gift to us today is that he wrote a lot, with much of his writing still preserved… and that he took care to make sure his art works would survive. We have a huge selection of his work available. Three examples for you – a woodcut of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (not Notre Dame football, the real end-of-the-world Revelations guys!), an oil of Jesus as a young boy confounding the “doctors” in the Temple in Jerusalem, and an amazing self-portrait.

BTW, if you think the picture looks arrogant, like AD was illustrating himself as looking Christ-like… well, Durer was a friend of Martin Luther and believed that the Christ could be found in each one of us – so he quite consciously painted himself looking Christ-like. Still… doesn’t look like this was an artist who suffered too much from a lack of self-esteem!

So it might be considered ironic that Durer’s best known “work” was actually just a sketch he did for the hands of a character he was painting in an altarpiece in Vienna. The sketch was originally called just “Hands” or sometimes, “Hands of the Apostle.” But today we know it as “Praying Hands.” The original is a brush and ink drawing, highlighted with white, on blue-tinted paper. It is about 8” by 12” and is currently held by the Graphische Sammlung Albertina, Vienna.

The art should speak for itself… but no… somebody had to turn it into a saccharine sermon on how none of us get through life on our own. There is a story about “Praying Hands” that used to get printed in Christian magazines every now and then. It is now eternal as it gets circulated as fact around the internet. In this version, Albrecht is one of 18 children (true… though only three survived to adulthood) in a poor family (false – they were really quite wealthy) and his brother Albert makes a great sacrifice to allow Albrecht to study art, going down into the mines to support his brother and suffering, as a consequence, the destruction of his own artistic hands. As a testimonial, Albrecht supposedly painted his brother’ crushed and damaged hands. Of course, the hands in Praying Hands are not broken and distorted, but the attenuated devout hands of an apostle in rapture - but why let facts interfere with a story???

Christians use the two hands held together and clasped over the heart as a gesture of prayer. The Hindu gesture of prayer, the anjali mudra, is identical… and in Buddhist traditions the same gesture is used as a sign of greeting, respect, and veneration.

Enter a hosta… H. ‘Praying Hands’ – perhaps the oddest hosta ever. It was registered in 1996 by G. Williams and is listed as “parentage unknown.” It makes an upright clump of narrow green leaves with white margins that stay very tightly rolled up. It must have reminded someone of the hands held together and pointing upward as illustrated in the picture of praying hands.

From here it gets odd. The parentage is unknown, but Zillis speculates anyway. He says “but most likely a sport of some Fortunei.” He goes on to suggest planting it with other weird, distorted hostas such as Embroidery and Tortifrons and other oddballs. As I walk around my garden, I can’t help but wonder about the Fortunei connection. It sure looks more like it has rectifolia or Tardflora in its heritage… I don’t see any Fortunei in it.

I think sometimes I pay too much attention to Zillis. I put off adding Praying Hands to my collection, thinking it was an expensive folly – like Embroidery, an expensive hosta with uncertain growth potential, planted just for converstational purposes.
How wrong I was! When I finally put in a small plant, it immediately grabbed my attention. It has grown well, reasonably vigorous, no pest concerns… and it just gets better looking every year. It has so impressed me that I have started to agitate for its selection for Hosta of the Year 2011!

So please… check out my main man, AD. It is possible to still buy woodcut prints made from his original blocks. Check out his self-portrait at the Louvre, if it happens to be one of the rare hours that those responsible for the gallery are not standing out back smoking evil-smelling cigarettes and making rude comments about Americans. You can even check out his Praying Hands sketch. Just please, please, please don’t send out the tacky, sappy story – I think it cheapens the work of this consummate artist.

And check out the hosta, too… I think it belongs in every garden!
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

“Praying Hands”

Post by thehostagourmet »

Didn't know where you were going until I saw the “Praying Hands” sketch. Another great, informative, and pertinent NOPD. I too like the plant and promote it.
George
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Another very interesting/entertaining NPOTD, Jim. I happened to close the store last nite so I read it after I got home. I was too tired to make a comment then though. :wink:

From what Bob Solberg said at one talk in St. Louis, it sounds like Praying Hands has a good shot to be Hosta of the Year in the next year or 2. He said something like, 'you wouldn't believe how close Praying Hands was to being HOTY for 2010.' The way he said it gave me the impression that he couldn't quite believe it.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

Sounds like I need to get it for my "religious theme" hosta bed, heh????
Thanks for another great post Jim.
And if you aren't compiling these for a book someday, you are crazier than I thought :cool:
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
addieotto
Location: Southern NJ Lat: 39° 47' 17.916" Lon: -74° 59' 13.56"

Post by addieotto »

I really like Praying Hands. I feel my greatest challenge is to find a way to integrate such a unique look with in the rest of the hosta. On its own, it's amazing and everything you said about it is right on from my perspective. Someday I'll figure it out.

If anyone thinks they have a great bed that they think features PH in a way that shows off it's unique style, I would love to see it. I've seen it look good in a pot but that's easy - buy a cool pot! :P
SUE
My hosta blog: http://myhostagardens.com
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Loved all the onfo on Druer. I agree totallt about the sappy story. But I just have to pass on Praying Hands hosta. Just does not appeal to me in any way!

Please do be saving these writings!
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Gosh Jim! You could write a book about hostas and have these entertaining and informative stories with each pic! What a great idea! Loved this post and I guess I'm going to have to add Praying Hands to my wish list. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Willowy

Post by Willowy »

Thank you Jim, I really look forward to your culturally enlightening posts. Praying Hands was a gift three years ago and you are right! It gets better and better each year. I think I was most impressed by a photo someone posted from one of the convention gardens a couple of years ago. They had this huge, gorgeous praying hands and at that point I knew I had something to look forward to!
a.k.a. hostabuff
My Hosta List & My Blog
Carol W
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Carol W »

Really enjoy your stories along with the pictures of the hostas and yes I agree you should do a book! I now know I'll be adding this one on my wish list!
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Nice stories. The first pic you posted kind of looks streaked (especially the 1:00 leaves). Is that my eyes playing tricks?
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
Kent

Post by Kent »

Jim....I agree with Joan, make a book of these wonderful stories you write.

Thay are so interseting and wonderfully told!

Thanks for sharing.

Kent
Arlene

Post by Arlene »

I suspect there won't be a book . . . although I think it's a great idea . . . so I'm just saving them in a file of their own and can print out my own little notebook full of NPODs . . . again, thanks, Jim, for an interesting essay.

I've only had PH for a couple years, but I enjoy the contrast it provides in the garden -- and it's the one hosta that visitors DON'T say, "Oh, yes, I have that one . . . "
New Topic Post Reply