Bug ID help? what next?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
steg
USDA Zone: 5

Bug ID help? what next?

Post by steg »

I saw this bug today on one of my hostas and am not sure what it is or if it is a problem. If it's a problem, how do I get rid of it. Thanks for the help. Sorry for the blurry picture, I tried. Jumpy little suckers too.

Thanks again.

Mike
Kas

Post by Kas »

Mealy bugs! A good stiff spray with the hose should work, but it will probably do a job on the plant as well. Hold the stem when you spray it, I guess. Those little fuzzies are sucking the sap from your babies! We had them on our spruce trees at our old house. The hose was the only thing that worked.

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Although they look similar to mealybugs, these are actually wooly aphids.

I'm not sure how much damage they do, but they aren't something you really want around. Aphids have been getting really bad in some parts of the country, and they can do a lot of damage plus they can spread disease, so I recommend using an insecticide to get rid of them, but a good spray with the hose tends to wash them off temporarily.
steg
USDA Zone: 5

Post by steg »

Thanks Chris...

I had looked up aphids a little before my post but didn't find it. Never heard of a woolly aphid but that's it (searched a little more now)

Will take the hose to it later and then look for an insecticide.
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

I've seen these. They are big enough to squish, and the abundant fuzz on the plant makes them early to identify, but camouflages them. Then they hop pretty far to get away from you when you try to squish them.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

So it looks like you're chasing a piece of white fluff thru the garden. :wink: :lol:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
greenguy

Post by greenguy »

lady bugs love to eat them :eek:
New Topic Post Reply