A couple more from today

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
fenceberry

A couple more from today

Post by fenceberry »

This is the back edge of my yard. In the spring of 2006 we had to have two large spruce trees removed because of disease. Then I hired a landscaper to haul in some rock and soil to build up the wall in the previous pictures and also this area where my brother-in-law built us an arbor.
That's Ringtail, Academy Verdant Verge, and Hacksaw trying to escape the sedum. Brother Stefan is faring better and T Rex is flowering on the other side. All planted in 2006. I can't remember what the vine is called. It is supposed to have those grape-style clusters of flowers.

Same area but taken from under the arbor.
You can see how Blue Angel is getting burned alive. I have a Sweet Autumn Clematis growing up the old tv antenae and the Service Berry tree was also planted in 2006. I'm hoping in a couple of more years my BA will be more protected.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Looks like a very inviting spot. I like the arbor. Very nice. :D
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

I love that sedum as a ground cover! Is that the rcommon one that blooms yellow? I am going to have to give that a try... it is REALLY neat looking! Oh, and does it cut down on the weed growth? Sort of like a green mulch?

And that BA is impressive! I bet by the time the shade grows over it the BA will be of historic proportions.... all that sun right now is creating a massive plant I bet!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

The vine is Wisteria.
Looks very nice!
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Alexa - I'd be glad to ship you a box of the sedum. It does have yellow blooms. Mine will be blooming shortly. It's very prolific, but easily pulled. I believe it's Sedum 'Acre'.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
fenceberry

Post by fenceberry »

Wisteria! I couldn't for the life of me think of the name. And yes that is a very common yellow flowering sedum. Mine has finished flowering. It does cut down on weeds and I've been pulling up bits of it here and there to throw around other garden areas. I don't know if it will do too well in the more shady spots but I'm going to find out.
Thanks for looking.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

What a gorgeous garden! It's so serene and inviting. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

Love the arbor and the big rocks. I am impressed that you have a useful brother in law. I didn't think that existed outside in the real world :lol:
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
greenguy

Post by greenguy »

fence i see a lot of room for more hostas :wink:
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Terrific garden, I love the space and the way you've laid it out. And what a creative way to make shade for your BA.

Your sedum is a nice bright touch, I'll bet it helps keep the moisture in the soil.

Thanks for sharing your pics, they're inspirational!
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
New Topic Post Reply