Not Pic of the Day 6-25-08 Move over, Mowgli!

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
jgh

Not Pic of the Day 6-25-08 Move over, Mowgli!

Post by jgh »

So I was looking up Rudyard Kipling… I’m not sure why… I know I started out looking for something else entirely, I think about Boy Scouts… I love Google!

Quite an interesting fellow, was our Mr. Kipling!

I studied literature and none of my professors ever mentioned him except maybe in passing as a minor writer of the British colonial era. I tend to think of him in Walt Disney terms - as the guy who wrote Jungle Book.

The real story is considerably more interesting. This is a guy who was born in India in 1865 but was sent back to England to an abusive boarding school when he was six. He did poorly in prep school and was considered to have such a poor intellect that he was unsuitable for college.

His father got him a job and at age 16 he was sent off alone to Lahore (in what is now Pakistan) to work as an assistant editor for a newspaper. He worked a variety of jobs and developed something of a reputation as a writer in India.

At age 23 he got fired and decided to take the long way home back to England, visiting San Francisco, Omaha, Chicago and Pennsylvania. He got to meet one of his idols, Mark Twain, in New York. He even went to Yellowstone National Park – remarkable, since it was the first park of its kind in the world, and had only been in existence for twenty years.

Kipling’s connections with America didn’t end with that trip. After becoming a significant literary figure in London and getting married, he ended up living in a cabin in Vermont. The young couple lived in rustic bliss and their first two children were born there. Kipling did some of his most prolific writing in Vermont, including both Jungle Books and “Captains Courageous.” Arthur Conan Doyle (of Sherlock Holmes fame) visited and got Kipling hooked on golf.

Politics and family squabbles sent the Kiplings back to England. They also established a yearly habit of wintering in South Africa. By this time, he was one of the most popular writers in the world. Henry James said of him "Kipling strikes me personally as the most complete man of genius (as distinct from fine intelligence) that I have ever known."[ He was the first English-writing recipient of the Nobel Prize for Literature (in 1907) and is still the youngest writer to have ever received that honor.

In his lifetime, Kipling saw his fame slip away. Tastes changed. He was seen as a spokesman for the English Empire, with all the glory and arrogance associated with “Rule Britannia.” He wrote about “The White Man’s Burden” and some see his descriptions of other cultures racist. His poetry was strictly metered and rhymed and was falling out of fashion. World War I made it difficult to talk about glory and honor in the old ways – and Kipling experienced considerable guilt after pulling strings to get his son a commission in the Irish Guard only to see him killed in the Battle of Loos. He later wrote "If any question why we died/ Tell them, because our fathers lied."

More recently, Kipling’s place in literature has been reassessed. He is now considered to have significantly contributed to the development of the modern short story, pioneering a style in which character and language and events carry the story rather than direct narration. In 1995 his poem “If –“ won a BBC poll as Britain’s favourite poem. He is even considered to have significantly affected the development of modern science fiction, especially through his influence on John Campbell and Robert Heinlein.

But Kipling is still best known for his works for children. The Jungle Books have remained popular, but one of his best collections is his “Just So Stories.” These are “pourquoi stories” - fables created for his children that explain the origins of things like “How the camel got his hump” and “How the rhinoceros got his skin.” The title comes out of a process every story-telling parent will understand. When you tell a story to your child, it takes on a life of its own. If you alter it when re-telling… change any details or even sometimes just a word… the child will complain that you are telling it wrong. You must tell it “just so.”

I don’t know if Paul Aden had Kipling in mind when he named H. ‘Just So’ in 1986. Maybe he meant to refer to the neatness of the leaves… that they are “just so.” Or maybe there is a missing word, like “this hosta is just so xxx.” I do know that if we were going to write a story “How The Hosta Got Its Popularity” we might write it about Paul Aden. Tony Avent describes Aden as “the king of commercial hostas.” He put together a listing of Aden introductions and some comments – you can find it at
http://www.plantdelights.com/Tony/aden.html

Just So is a member of a distinguished hosta family. The parent plant, Little Aurora, has proven to be a disappointment to most of us over the years. It has been a poor grower for me. But it has given us lots of interesting sports and seedlings. Little Sunspot is a sport of LA… and is also not much of a grower for me. Sultana, on the other hand, is a great green-centered, yellow-margined sport that grows well. Tattoo is another sport from this family and the object of lots of differences of opinion on how well it grows – it has done well for me, but not so much for many of us.

Aden registered Just So as “Aden 421 X ‘Little Aurora’” and Zillis likes it enough to give it its own page in the Handbook and remarks that it grows like a sport of LA. Some people seem to assume that it is a mini or a small hosta, but it actually makes an attractive medium-sized clump given enough time. My clump, left undisturbed, is about 30” in diameter. One of the “errors” I would describe in Zillis book is that he gives Little Aurora a diameter of 40”, then in two places describes how much Just So resembles the growth pattern of LA – then gives a maximum diameter for JS of 23”.

You can tell that I’m not the only one making the connection between Kipling and this hosta – Zillis named two Just So sports ‘Puck’ and ‘Shere Khan’ – both Kipling characters.

jgh

Post by jgh »

If-

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
If you can dream--and not make dreams your master,
If you can think--and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breath a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings--nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
If all men count with you, but none too much,
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

--Rudyard Kipling
Diana
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Diana »

I don't have hosta Just So, but we do have Kipling's book. We've been reading the Just So Stories to our grandchildren and they love them. "How the Leopard got his spots" is a favorite". And yes, if you skip a word, they remind you.
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Great thread Jim. I was not aware of Kipling's background, or the tie of one of his works to the name of the hosta 'Just So'. Very interesting! Thanks!
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

A favorite "joke" (note the quotes) during the era of Kipling's popularity was:
1st man: Do you like Kipling?
2nd man: I don't know -- I've never kippled.
(I TOLD you it was a " " kind of a joke!

I think of lines of Kipling's every so often -- things like watching a sunrise and thinking "when the dawn comes up like thunder/ Out of China, 'cross the bay." Phyllis
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Fascinating history on Kipling!

My DH was looking at the side flowerbed which is full of daylily's and lilies. He calls it the jungle and said he expected to see Khan to come strolling out any minute. :roll: :lol:
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Interesting background on Kipling. I've only known the Disney version of The Jungle Book. I would never have made the connection to 'Just So'.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
thehostagourmet
USDA Zone: 5b

Just So

Post by thehostagourmet »

Another brilliant story, like the best mysteries. In the end it all comes together.
George
FreakyCola
USDA Zone: 5

Post by FreakyCola »

Well, I must've missed something. I still don't see the conntection to Just So! Guess I'm still thinking of the 60's thread Jim mislead me on.
Semi stoned Cola
New Topic Post Reply