Speaking of Getting High

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
addieotto
Location: Southern NJ Lat: 39° 47' 17.916" Lon: -74° 59' 13.56"

Speaking of Getting High

Post by addieotto »

I'm referencing the recent NPOTD of course!

I need some help :-? :-?

My wonderful man just installed a long desired privacy fence to block off the view of the foreclosed house next door. The section that runs along the hosta gardens is 92 feet long and there has been NO hosta there at all.

Amazing, eh? Somewhere that has no hosta :lol: :lol:

I'm thrilled with the shade it will provide and the backdrop that it creates for the gardens. It also creates an amazing spot for tall hosta to tower over the foreground plants.

I'm wondering if I could get some recommendations or suggestions for hostas that are wonderfully tall in their gardens. I have a mature Sum and Substance and just got an Empress Wu for the spot. I also have a young Komodo Dragon that I can't wait to move over there plus a young Blue Umbrellas that has been set back from vole damage.

I still have plenty of room for more tall ones! Please give me suggestions!!! Thanks so much
SUE
My hosta blog: http://myhostagardens.com
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

Do you want tall or big N Tall too????
What fun. What choices.
I would start the list with gold regal,alex summers, regal splendor, krossa regal, nicgrescens and that whole group.
There is a list somewhere of the big hostas. I can't think of where I saw it at though. Give me a little coffee and I will think of the link :lol:
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Cheryl named all of the ones I would have except one: Eola Sapphire. Tall and huge!! :cool: One in a SL garden won best individual clump at the convention. If mine ever approaches that size, my house won't be on its foundation anymore. :eek: :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Jade Cascade, Ultramarine and/or Tidewater, and an oldie that I am partial to, Snowden.
Any of the Sum and Substance sports if you can use big'n'tall. Lady Isobell Barnett, Bottom Line, Titanic, Parhelion. If you have time to wait for it to grow, T Rex is a monster. It's been really slow for me, though.
Any of the montanas can get quite large. Mira is a big one, one I don't have but would love to run across.
Big John (which is one of the parents of Empress Wu if I'm not mistaken) is another big'un.
And plant some seeds from that Empress Wu when you get some. You'll no doubt get some enormous babies.
Finally, how about a good old Royal Standard? I have a couple of clumps that rival any other hosta in my garden for size, perhaps not quite as tall as some, but definitely very large!
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

There is a list somewhere of the big hostas. I can't think of where I saw it at though. Give me a little coffee and I will think of the link
Cheryl,

Had your coffee yet? Would this be the link you were thinking of :D
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Cheryl,
You could pot some of the smaller ones and use structure to lift them up above the others. Hosta in pots lifted up by placing them on shelves, hangers etc really make a great focal point. I have an old step ladder that I set some of my small but pretty hosta on so they get noticed :lol: :lol:

Ginger
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

Thanks for the link. I need it too. We are limbing up some old white pines and I am going to plant a bunch of the big fellas along the drip line where the ground might not be too dense with shade. My DH even suggested that it would be really cool to have a line of the big ones along the pines. I would say that is a green flag to order some more this summer/fall if you ask me.
Now my only dilemna is if I go with a "theme" or not like I do with all of my beds. I was thinking of doing a Creature Feature theme bed with the likes of komodo dragon, swamp thing, etc.
Of course, a theme bed could also just be "big ones".
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

Five O'clock Somewhere is quite tall and upright.

Lakeside Surfrider gets enormous, as does Nancy Gill.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Other thoughts: Niagara Falls, Lakeside Ripples, Mississippi Delta, Old Faithful, and isn't Millenium a really tall one?

I need to get a picture of Old Faithful, but here are some pictures of some already mentioned.
Attachments
Hosta 'Niagara Falls'
Hosta 'Niagara Falls'
Hosta 'Nancy Gill'
Hosta 'Nancy Gill'
Hosta 'Lakeside Surf Rider'
Hosta 'Lakeside Surf Rider'
Hosta 'Alex Summers'
Hosta 'Alex Summers'
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

BIG / Tall

Post by Marlys »

Elegans was my largest hosta until it got frosted & frozen & trompled.

Blue Angle is huge in my garden / largest right now. And Mira as Linda P mentioned is reaaly big.

Blue Umbrella is getting larger this year.

Sagae, Gunther's Prize, Leather Neck, Komodo Dragon (getting pretty big), Millennium, Northern Exposure, Rascal, Green Piecrust, Band of Gold, Abiqua Drinking Gourd, Sugar & Cream, Regal Splendor, Leading Lady, & Moonlight Sonata.

MM
Wanda
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Wanda »

Mary Chastain told me her Lakeside Maverick is her tallest hosta.

wanda
addieotto

Post by addieotto »

Can't thank you guys enough and duh - I should have remembered the list because I just added it as a reference for myself on my blog page. Double duh.

Thanks for the pix Chris - I hope this means I can buy some of your recommendations here :wink:

I have a few of these already that are young or vole damaged but not so big at the moment. My Krossa Regal is big but not that tall. My tenryu (nigrescens) is hidden in a corner (vole eaten) so didn't even think about it.

Don't have Eola Sapphire! Looks very tall on Hosta Library! I've got to look some of these others up as well.

Flowerchild - a theme bed of "big ones" might eat the house! LOL!!!

Ginger - love the idea of the stepladder. I do have a few potted hosta that I moved over there to create some instant height and I built a raised bed for Empress Wu to really give her some extra punch.

You guys are the best, thanks!
SUE
addieotto

Post by addieotto »

I've been looking up these hosta to check on the sizes and to see if I liked any of them enough to add them. Some on the list were from the list link page.

I thought I would share the sizes that I found listed so that other folks could benefit. Keep in mind - I was looking for height rather than just size of clump. I can also assume that these measurements tend to vary on garden conditions. There were also some I couldn't find heights for...

Here ya go!

40 inches Jade Cascade
40 inches Leatherneck
38-48 inches Eola Sapphire
38 inches Lakeside Surf Rider
36-42 inches City Lights
36 inches Regal Splendor
36 inches Krossa Regal
36 inches Parhelion
36 inches Millenium
36 inches Blue Angel
36 inches Blue Umbrellas
36 inches Northern Exposure
36 inches Lakeside Maverick
36 inches Behemoth
35 inches Bottom Line
32 inches Five O'Clock Somewhere
32 inches Mississippi Delta
32 inches Duke
30 inches Lady Isobell Barnett
30 inches T Rex
30 inches Big John
30 inches Green Piecrust
30 inches Flower Power
30 inches Golden Sculpture
30 inches Victory
29 inches Tenryu (nigrescens)
28 inches Komodo Dragon
28 inches Mount Fuji
27 inches Deluxe Edition
27 inches Fluted Fountain
26 inches Grand Canyon
24-26 inches Moonlight Sonata
24 inches Gold Regal
24 inches Royal Standard
24 inches Sagae
24 inches Lakeside Ripples
24 inches Brigadier
24 inches Climax
23 inches Leading Lady
23 inches Old Faithful
20 inches Alex Summers
20 inches Snowden
20 inches Mira
20 inches Niagra Falls
18 inches Ultramarine
18 inches Tidewater
18 inches Rascal
18 inches Sugar and Cream
18 inches Clifford's Forest Fire
16 inches Abiqua Drinking Gourd
15 inches Titanic
SUE
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I thought of some more yesterday:
Gold Regal
High Noon
Unchained Melody
Sun Power...very tall once it gets some age on it.
Elatior
Did we mention Liberty?
Abba Dabba Do?
I could walk around my yard and add more to the list, I'm sure. Maybe after I have another cup of coffee.... :)
Also, I think some of those heights mentioned are a little on the low side. I'll go out and measure the ones I have on that list when I get a chance. For example, I'm pretty sure that Ultramarine is way taller than 18".
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Sue,

Many of those sizes sound like registered sizes, others real life sizes.

The registered size is just that - the size at the time of registration. I didn't know this until recently, but it is not intended to be considered the full grown size, but sometimes we just don't have anything else to go on.

I thought of another too: Krugerrand!
Attachments
Hosta 'Krugerrand'
Hosta 'Krugerrand'
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Here is a picture of Old Faithful. It is now standing about 24" high, and I've only had it a couple years (thanks Lucygoose ;) )

The scapes are quite tall on this one, with very large fragrant flowers, so it definitely has a vertical appearance to it.
Attachments
oldfaithful.jpg
oldfaithful.jpg (40.08 KiB) Viewed 1500 times
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Looks like the one under it is trying to escape!

That Niagara Falls is gorgeous!
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
addieotto

Post by addieotto »

Seriously, Chris. Old Faithful IS trying to eat that poor hosta. It's cannibalism I tell you!!

Good to know about the registration size. I definitely am looking for the super tall so you are right - it is something to work with to start but I'll still keep in mind people's garden experiences. Either I get super tall hosta or something other than hosta ... and that just won't work for me right now :lol:

Does anyone have Chodai Ginyo?? Pix on hosta library look real tall and I do have that one already although young and vole eaten (bonus :roll: ). Perhaps that's another candidate.

I have so many great suggestions now - thanks everyone! You guys are the best and this is THE BEST forum for information, suggestions and support. :D

Unfortunately if I can't beat these voles, no matter how big my dreams of height, I may always have stunted hosta :cry:
SUE
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

After seeing Chris's pics, a couple of thoughts came to mind for tall/big hostas. I think it'd be fairly safe to say that any hosta that Olga Petyraszyn and Bob Balietiwitz [sp?] [Indiana Bob] introduce for sale are gonna be what you're looking for. [ :idea: Old Faithful is Olga's and Krugerrand is Indiana Bob's.] :wink:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
New Topic Post Reply