The winner, my favorite of all, Thunderbolt

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Ed_B
USDA Zone: 4b

The winner, my favorite of all, Thunderbolt

Post by Ed_B »

I am fairly new to the world of Hosta, but by far Thunderbolt is the nicest, best looking, stylish hosta I have ever seen in person.
Thunderbolt is the stand out plant in two different beds.
It's got the "kick it up a notch" factor going for it, and is the plant that grabs the eye for a better look.
I like Liberty a lot in the spring, but Thunderbolt never stops looking good all season while Liberty fades somewhat as the season passes on.

In time maybe something else may win me over, but for now
The winner Thunderbolt

Ed
Attachments
Hosta Thunderbolt (13) [].JPG
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

And a fantastic Thunderbolt it is! Seems to be very happy where you have it. This can be a problematic hosta, growing in some gardens but not others, but when it does grow it is a beauty. Thanks for sharing :)
Libby

Post by Libby »

That is a gorgeous speciman you're growing! I'm sure I'll have to come back and look at this photo many times just for the pleasure of it :D
ccayton
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by ccayton »

Yes--that one is looking incredible! I thought I was craving a nice Paul's Glory, but maybe Thunderbolt wins out. (Or let's be honest, maybe I'll get both :oops: :wink: :lol: :lol: )
I've only seen photos of this type, and none have been this lovely. Have you done anything special with it?
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

THat is a beauty!

Mine is being odd this year - it is only two eyes, but they are like small tree trunks and the bigger leaves are easily a foot across (each leaf that is). I hope it starts increasing in number of eyes and not just size! :lol:

Alexa

Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Just gorgeous, Ed!! 8-) :D 8-)
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Ed_B

Post by Ed_B »

Thank you all
I am glad that you like it, sure is a beauty

Maintenance
Every spring I walk around with a 5 gallon pail of Milorganite, every Hosta, Daylily, Clematis, Rose, etc gets the treatment.
I very liberal dose around the base of each plant hopefully before the spring rains come.
The rest is up to the plant itself, with the help of a wood mulch that I try to maintain, try being key word here.
Ed
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Lovely example of Thunderbolt.

Chris, do you have any idea what conditions give some people difficulty growing it? I'm seriously thinking I may add it to the wish list although I think it gets a bit larger than ideal for my garden.

Ann
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Great looking Thunderbolt, Ed. Good growing! :D
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
Carol W
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Carol W »

Lovely picture! Thunderbolt is one of my top favorites. I love the rich blue large thick leaves with the creamy centers. Mine is 34" tall this year. It so full I couldn't even tell how many eyes there are. Every one needs one in there garden but due to there slow growth I wouldn't suggest starting with a TC.
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Nice looking specimen you got there, Ed. I have the look-a-likes: Dream Queen and Dreamweaver, though neither is anywhere near the size of your TB. Like Alexa, mine this year had massive shoots on them and while the fattest one of them only had the one shoot, it also has the largest leaves. All of them are in bloom now and it's a toss-up in my garden which gets the most 'wows', them or my June. The blue these show on their leaves, particularly when they get a bit of sun, is something to behold.
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

Post by jobranch »

Wish I could grow them 'cause yours looks great. Bought two last year because they have such an unusual verigation and the leaves are like rubber. Both died :cry:
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

It's stunning Ed!!! Mine was great last year, this year it's just a tiny thing. :cry:
Ed_B

Post by Ed_B »

Picture of my other one in bloom
Attachments
Hosta Thunderbolt (2) [].JPG
Hosta Thunderbolt (2) [].JPG (47.97 KiB) Viewed 1444 times
Hosta Thunderbolt [].JPG
Arlene

Post by Arlene »

I'm curious, too, about the conditions Thunderbolt likes. Ed's fabulous plant is in Wisconsin; Carol's is in central Illinois. The two people who reported losses are in Oklahoma and Alabama . . .

This is probably not a big enough sample from which to make generalizations . . . so maybe more people could weigh in!

I'm still trying to shift my gears from Northern Indiana to central Tennessee, so all information is appreciated!!

Thunderbolt sure is a beauty.
Carol W

Post by Carol W »

I'm actually in Northern IL about 20 mile south of WI.

It would be interesting to know if colder longer winters are better for Thunderbolt's, such as Great Explectations seem to grow better with a longer dormant. Both are sports of 'Elegans'.
http://www.hostalibrary.org/e/e.html
Ed_B

Post by Ed_B »

Not to throw a rock or anything, but my Great Expectations
took a major downturn for the worse this year.
In fact I would be really surprised if it comes back at all next year.
The limited experience I have with hosta's, seems that once they hit that downward spiral, it's all but over.
Don't know that for fact, just what I have seen so far here.
Ed
Becky in TN

Post by Becky in TN »

Had three nice Thunderbolds last year. Each were at least 4 or 5 eyes. This spring only one came back. Don't know if it was because of our very dry year last year!
Also lost my only Dreamwaver overwinter. In all I lost about 40-50 hostas overwinter.
Am presently digging all my hostas in the lovely bed under the giant pin oak. They have been invaded by feeder roots from the oak. The oak must have been in search of water last summer and came to my hostas because they were watered last summer during our prolonged drought. Had our second driest June on record this summer but have had abour 1 1/2 inches of rain in July!
Will not be replacing any hostas this year as I just trying to rethink my addiction, this drought, and the harder it seems to just keep everything going as I age.
Becky in TN
Carol W

Post by Carol W »

Becky that is so sad to lose so many at once! I know it hurts. So sorry to hear this. My friend whom lives in TN was so afraid last summer with the prolonged drought that her well my dry up because others in her area were. Her is deeper then most in the area by 100 feet thank goodness the builders went down deeper.
New Topic Post Reply