Vole protection and special thanks to Tundra Queen!

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
addieotto
Location: Southern NJ Lat: 39° 47' 17.916" Lon: -74° 59' 13.56"

Vole protection and special thanks to Tundra Queen!

Post by addieotto »

I need to say a very public THANKS to Tundra Queen whose beautiful hosta in raised beds gave my brain the kick start to start raising all of my beds to protect them from voles. I had made one raised bed from stone last month but this was a much bigger project and hopefully will prevent future hosta carnage.

We built three raised beds this weekend using 4X4's and lined/sealed the bottom of them with 1/4" hardware cloth to deter the voles. We made them in funky shapes to make them interesting. It was incredibly hard work and I need a least another three-five beds ASAP. Despite the buckets of sweat, the challenging math for the corner angles and the sore backs, it was well worth the effort!!!

This photo is kinda dark but you can see the three beds:

You can see that the hosta are jam packed but since so many were destroyed and set back to almost nothing, it's like I'm starting from scratch with first and second year plants in some cases! Going forward I'll need MANY more beds but I'd rather do this than watch all of my hosta become vole food.

I've had this vole eaten Sagae for FIVE years! Doesn't look it, does it? Teeny little thing.

And... so much around the pond is in bloom it's looking great on the other side of the yard. Ok, so it's not a raised bed and has nothing to do with this post but there IS a hosta (or two) in this photo somewhere :lol: :lol:

Edited to add the photo of my original raised bed with a view of the hardware cloth that lines the bottom. The same stuff is attached to the bottom of the wooden ones too!

SUE
My hosta blog: http://myhostagardens.com
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Lots of work, Sue - but it sounds like it will be worth all of the hard work. :)
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Oh, what a lot of work! I put hardware cloth in the bottom of my raised seedling beds, and it has kept out the voles and moles as well. I hope it works as well for you.
That pond pic is gorgeous...thanks for sharing it.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Sue, glad I could help, even though I didn't know I was. :lol:
Did u put any alfalfa in the planting holes? That's what I did and banana peels too... :lol: seriously and lots of sheep manuare. I sure hope the raised beds help keep away those nasty critters!! If you hostas grow as fast as mine u will have to be moving them in a couple of years. So be prepared! :lol:

Debbie

addieotto
Location: Southern NJ Lat: 39° 47' 17.916" Lon: -74° 59' 13.56"

Post by addieotto »

Linda, I am soooo glad to hear that you actually did have success in deterring voles with hardware cloth. My biggest fear was that we would go through all of this work .. and STILL have voles! :o

Debbie, I didn't do alfalfa ... or banana peels :lol: ... but I did mix a lot of half baked compost and a few bags of super good garden soil then topped it off with a layer of my rotted wood chips :D Compared to what they were growing in before they must think they have gone from rags to riches!

I have lots of room for more raised beds and will need to get the rest of the hosta moved (at least one of each variety) pretty darn quick. I wish I could pull an "I dream of Jeanie" and blink a few more beds into place. :wink:

I will have a heck of a time selling this house if the time ever comes! People will think this yard is insane but I'm so happy - that's what matters most.
SUE
My hosta blog: http://myhostagardens.com
woodthrush

Post by woodthrush »

The voles here dig in from the top of the soil. I just moved every hosta from a raised bed. There was a vole or voles in the bed and they were eating every hosta. But the entry holes were on top of the soil, so hardware cloth wouldn't do any good.
Pam
New Topic Post Reply