Hosta Recommendation

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
dian57

Hosta Recommendation

Post by dian57 »

A good friend has fibromyalgia, two weedy beds in front of her raised porch (4 steps), limited funds and loves my yard full of plants.

Getting the picture here?

Now you would think with close to 100 different hostas and lots of other assorted perennials I could offer her a satisfactory start for these beds, My first thought was a Krossa Regal on each side of the stairs.

She wants ginormous variegated, doesn't care which colors. Those big ones sure do appeal to people, don't they? However, the tallest I have are Krossa Regal, Blue Angel and Elegans.

Any suggestions? Is there a variegated Krossa Regal or other tall hosta with variegation?
Becoming a grandmother is wonderful. One moment you're just a mother. The next you are all-wise and prehistoric. ~Pam Brown
steg
USDA Zone: 5

Post by steg »

How about a Regal Splendor?

Or Earth Angel, Guardian Angel, Victory or Sagae...

I might mix in an Astilbe Montgomery too for more color - we have one that is getting to be a pretty good size.

Just a couple thoughts. Depends on how limited the funds are but you might be able to find some deals closer to the fall. Get the beds ready now and wait for some fall sales?

Good luck.
Kent

Post by Kent »

Victory....big and fast growing...Also Bobbie Sue.

Kent
dhaven

Post by dhaven »

How about one of the Sum and Substance offspring? Sum of All, Sum It Up, Parhelion, and several others will all meet her specifications, and all are good growers that will also take quite a lot of sun. If she likes ruffled edges, either of the sports of Choo Choo Train would be great--American Icon is green with a gold edge, and Journey's End is gold with a green edge.

Other possibilities would be Frosted Jade, Great Expectations, Jewel of the Nile, Garden Treasure, Montana Aureomarginata (one of my absolute favorites), and Silk Kimono.
addieotto
Location: Southern NJ Lat: 39° 47' 17.916" Lon: -74° 59' 13.56"

Post by addieotto »

I really think that Regal Splendor is right on target!
SUE
My hosta blog: http://myhostagardens.com
dian57

Post by dian57 »

I had my friend and her husband over last night for coffee and dessert and we did the garden tour. I managed to convince her against variegated when she saw Krossa Regal. Big, tall beautifull and free from my garden. It was a no-brainer.

I did get a little put off by her husband saying, "No lilies, they fall into the walkway," because she so loves all the colors of mine. Few of my other perennials provide much color as I have mostly hostas.

I showed him all my daylilies and not one is leaning over, all standing straight up like proud soldiers. I'll have to plant something in front of the daylilies to keep them upright, or choose shorter plants that won't reach to the walkway.

She's excited and he's agreed to contribute some manpower. So this fall she'll finally have something pretty to see in front of her porch.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I'll keep you posted.
Becoming a grandmother is wonderful. One moment you're just a mother. The next you are all-wise and prehistoric. ~Pam Brown
John

Post by John »

Are you planning to plant the hostas and daylilies together? Just thinking about how much sun she has, while choosing plants for that area...

Sum and Substance or Bressingham Blue are nice bold colors on giant plants!
dian57

Post by dian57 »

Yes, I'm going to plant everything together. The house faces east and each bed is about 7' x 3'. She wants lots of different colors.

I have three Krossa Regals in different areas. The one in the sunniest location is smaller than the others, but maintains its color and form without burning.

She already has two lancifolias in the beds that she can't bear to part with. They're doing fine.

I've told her to start putting as much organic matter in the beds as possible in preparation for fall planting.

Am I doing okay with this plan so far?
steg
USDA Zone: 5

Post by steg »

sounds good to me.....
New Topic Post Reply