Summer Hallson's Trade RECEIVED!

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

twoblackdogs
USDA Zone: 5

Post by twoblackdogs »

I just got home to find a big box on my steps. I am doing the happy hosta dance for sure!
I opened it - and one big hosta was peaking through the paper - Jade Cascade - one on my wish list for a longggg time, which I actually meant to order from Chris this week!
Also great divisions of:
Moonlight Sonata
Popo
Golden Scepter

A BIG BIG thanks to Mike - aka Steg!!
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I need to get busy and finish my new bed for everyone, and their new friends still on my potting bench.
Last edited by twoblackdogs on Jul 23, 2008 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steg

Post by steg »

Glad you like them! I had a great time picking them out. When I saw Jade Cascade on your list and that Chris had it, I was pretty sure that would be included. Then came you birthday post and I was worried you would get to it before I went to Hallsons.

All in all, I hope you enjoy them and any new addition with your GC. Happy belated birthday.
steg

Post by steg »

Now for the other post ------ THANKS SCOOTERSBEAR!!!

I got my package today. The mailman came by, I looked outside and saw nothing. Oh well. Then he came back with his truck after he finished our street. What a great surprise.

Scootersbear sent me a very big division of Buzzards Bay and Double Dutch. I knew exactly where to place them when I saw them. What a great selection.

Thank you so much.....this was a blast once again.

Mike
toymr2mk2

Post by toymr2mk2 »

Today was one of those days when I just wanted to get home and chill. The traffic was a mess and it was pouring and thundering and lightening something terrible. When I pulled in the driveway I saw a package on the porch and figured it was the hosta I ordered recently, and it was. But there was also a nice big fat box next to it. Of course I grabbed em up and carried em into the house dodging big and little dogs. I opened the package I wasn't expecting first and man it was crammed full! I pulled out HUGE divisions of:
Sea Fire
Pearl Lake
Sparkling Burgundy
Spring Fling
I actually lost my Spring Fling this year and had just gotten a replacement. It is one of my favorite hostas so having more than one is even better! The others I do not have but after seeing these wish I had. The Pearl Lake is gorgeous! Sparkling Burgundy and Sea Fire are 2 that have been on my want list forever. Thank you so much Mary (Pandora). You did real well with these and absoultely brought sunshine to a dreary day. And thanks so much Scrappinmusicmommy for organizing the trade. This has been so much fun as it always is.
Art
scootersbear

Post by scootersbear »

First. Steg glad you got them OK and enjoy, we had a big hail storm so my options were small so I tried picking hostas most people don't have.
PS...I've gotten streaked sports from Buzzards Bay..unfortunitely they haven't been fertile, but they look good in the garden.

But the best part received mine today from Caliloo , Alexa.

Radiant Edger
Yellow Boa
Little Doll
and Mayan Moon (which I'm still trying to figure out how you fit that 1 in the box)

PS..someday I'll get my list current, but I'm not holding my breath getting it done anytime soon
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

I'm so glad they got there safe and sound! It has been hotter than heck here for the last 10 days.

I hope you like them, that Mayan Moon is one of my all time favs and your right - getting it in the box was a bit of a trick! :lol:

Enjoy and happy planting!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

toymr2mk2 (Art)
Your post made me smile. I laughed when you said you opened the "unknown" one first. I can see all of us doing the same thing.

I am thrilled that you like the hostas! Panic struck me when I first saw your list of hundreds :eek: . Luckily, our lists were a little different. I had just ordered Spring Fling from Chris this year and he was so generous, there was enough to share.

Mary
LisaO

Post by LisaO »

YEAH, I got mine today from Nathalie23...Thanks so much for the variety of hostas...I got

Flower Power
Fantabulous
Geisha
Amber Tiara
Torchlight

All new to my garden...have them soaking and will go in the garden tomorrow.

Thanks again Nathalie and thanks Aundrea for putting this all together.
"Busy Mom" from son up to son down :)
Lisa

Lisa's Hosta List
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

Yippee.....I got my package today and did I ever need the boost! Kids not behaving while I try to take care of a few things with/for my Mom at her Independent Living (or NOT :lol: )apartment, had me worn to a frazzle. It's like I have to sets of kids on opposite sides of the spectrum. Anyway, ZZTOPSOIL comes to the rescue!! Wow, did I get spoiled. 8, yes 8 hostas to add to my gardens.
Birchwood Parky's Gold
Bright Lights
Deane's Dream
Gold Drop
Lakeside Rocky Top
September Sun
Toy Soldier
Undulata Albomarginata
I cannot thank you enough Lelan, for making my day!! I will take good care of them!
Jo
The Garden is a Mirror of the Heart
scootersbear

Post by scootersbear »

I have no clue where I'm going to Put Mayan Moon definitely deserves a place up front and seen. Bought Empress Wu and I think the combination of the 2 full grown next to each other would make a great pair. I got the others in the ground late tonight and have to say getting dirt under my fingernails might be the one of the best parts of these trades.
Nathalie23

Post by Nathalie23 »

Lisa, I'm glad you like your hostas. :cool: Now, I will wait my trade! I guess it's you who got my name because I think we are the only canadians in this trade but maybe, I'm wrong... :roll:
Nathalie

I usually speak french so sorry for my mistakes in english
Nathalie23 Hosta List
Margery

Post by Margery »

My trade has arrived!! The mail came and no box, oh well, maybe tomorrow...then the UPS truck pulled in while I was checking my hosta along the driveway and he handed me a box! Yay, it's my secret trade!!! Hostahavum sent me 4 wonderful plants, all new to me.
Amber Maiden
First Mate
Christmas Candy and...
X-ray! I finally have an X on my list! :D

She knew I like the little ones so she and her hubby found these just for me. But, I think I started something, now she wants to start a new "little" garden. Thanks so much, it was perfect timing. My son has a new job in Florida and they are leaving today so I was feeling pretty down. I'm really going to miss those grandkids. Finding the perfect spot and putting these new plants in the ground will be good therapy.
ZZTOPSOIL
Location: Oregon(O.S.U.~Go Beavers!)...In the Beautiful Willamette Valley!

Post by ZZTOPSOIL »

Hi There Jo.
You are so Welcome!
Sounds Like the Box was a Wonderful Break in Your Day.
Glad I Could Surprise You with I Hope...
Some New Varieties in Your Garden of Joy.
I am Glad that They All Arrived and Now Have a New Home in Iowa.

With My Blessings...
All the Best to You...My New Hosta Friend.

Lelan.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

My wonderful surprise box came today from spencer1400.
Inside was a lovely division of Gene's Joy, originally purchased here in Illinois and grown in her Indiana garden;
Leola Fraim, one that's been on my wish list for some time now, and Gay Blade, also one that I had been looking for.
As a bonus, there was a start of a hardy begonia. I had it in my garden for years, and lost it one particularly cold open winter. This one will get some mulch this fall!
Thanks so very much, Jane, for the beautiful plants, and thanks scrapinmusicmommy for organizing the trade.
Now, off to add 3 more new ones to my list!!!! :D
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
myskyblue2

Post by myskyblue2 »

ImageDoin the Happy Hosta Dance!!
On Friday, I came home to find a "Box" on my stoopImage
Margery sent me:
Geisha
Chinese Sunrise
Gosan Gold Midget
Lemon Lime

All new to my gardens, and super NICE divisions :o I put them all in water to soak, got realy busy, was going to plant them Saturday morning, got super busy, and a good thing too because around 6:00pm, a hail storm came through with golf ball & large marble size hail :eek: So..... my hosta trade, are nearly the only hosta's that aren't shredded!!
I just cant thank you enough Margery for your trade :D

LauraImage
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

I am sure having a good day today!!! Yesterday DH and I spent the day at the zoo. Came home rather late and I was thinking about hostas on the way home. (what else)

There was no box at the garage ,,,, darn. BUT there was a card with the mail that said there was a box on the porch.

Yesssireeeee! I got a large triangle box from Twoblackdogs.

I got
Choo Choo Train - love the wavy leaves
Manhattan - must have fell off my wish list
Mardi Gras - never been, even though brother lived there
and
Lakeside Hula Hoop - did I say I love wavy leaves :lol:

They were are very large and roots to die for. How do you guys get those roots? I am thrilled! I really like bumpily leaves and wavy leaves. Manhattan and Mardi Gras came from Olga's sale.

Wow! Thanks Lela and thanks to Aundrea for hosting this.
twoblackdogs

Post by twoblackdogs »

Mary

I am glad they arrived safely. Give them some room! They'll grow into those roots in no time!

Lela
hostasandpapillons

Post by hostasandpapillons »

Today I arrived home from work after a typical Monday :???:
And there was a package waiting for me :P
It came from newhostaaddict (Jill) and had some wonderful divisions!! I got hostas Blue Dimples, Pearl Lake, Stiletto (which I had my eye on) and Tokudama Aureonebulosa. Three were new to me, and one can always use a double of one! Also included was some Ladie's Mantle, Astilbe and Lamium. Nice companion plants :P :P Then there is the cutest little plant stake, a smiling turtle - it is adorable!!
Thank you so much newhostaaddict; everything is getting a nice drink of water and will probably find new homes yet this evening.
Thanks to Aundrea for hosting all the fun!!!
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

HOORAY!!!! There is nothing better than pulling up to the garage after work and seeing a Box of Hostas :wink:
And a fine box of hostas it is!! :D :D
First of all my trader Jon (I am assuming JJR--played a little Sherlock Holmes cause you didn't write your forum name) I hope I have guessed right :oops: sent me 7 wonderful plants.
Dress Blues--I was just thinking of splitting mine but didn't have the heart, I love this one
Blue Mammoth--Another I would have bought but now don't have to.
So Sweet another Favorite!
Orange Marmalade--Put this one back earlier this year, I am trying to be more sensible :-?
And 3 Great Little Ones!!
Kabitan
Munchkin
and Cat's Eyes
They arrived in Great Shape and are getting a well deserved drink right now (kinda like the gardener) :lol:
I just love them. Thank you for the Great Hostas. I know where a couple of them will go right away but will pot up the others and try to do some artful placement instead of what I do sometimes..."OH Look there is a spot!" :roll: :o
Thanks again, well worth the wait :D I just love these trades!
Cheryl
JJR

Post by JJR »

Sorry I forgot to put my forum name on there. I was trying to include hosta that were not already on your list, but I included a few of my favorites as well... I'm glad you like them, hope they all grow well for you.
New Topic Post Reply