Summer Hallson's Trade RECEIVED!

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

JJR

Post by JJR »

I have to give a great big THANK YOU to Linda. She sent me 6 really nice sized hosta that arrived last Wednesday. (The future wife and I have been quite busy finishing up plans and I have had little time to sign on and write.)

I was quite happy when I got home from work and there was a nice big box waiting for me. Linda sent:
Guardian Angel
Blue Umbrellas
Love Pat
Potomac Pride
Hoosier Harmony
Faithful Heart

They are all new to my garden... I had to do a little bit of work moving some things around, but they have all found spots in the garden. THANK YOU!!!

Jon
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Jon, glad that you received the box, and you are most welcome. I was hoping that you were just really busy and didn't have time to post, but the way my life has been lately I seem to always think the worst! I had visions of you having had some horrible accident or something..you know, stabbing yourself whilst opening the box...
Here's to a great future for you and the soon-to-be Mrs. JJR. :beer:
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Hostahaveum

Post by Hostahaveum »

Hi Marge , I am so glad you like the plants ! Sorry to hear of your son & grandchildren leaving the state. Our oldest son is married one state over, no grandkids for us yet, but I can just imagine how much you will miss them! But w/ all the computer technology these days you can hear from them often if not daily :) ~ Dot
Hostahaveum
Margery
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Margery »

Thanks, Dot. I've discovered that letting your kids go is an ongoing process. And then the grandkids are another story! We've had daily phone calls keeping us updated and I see frequent trips to FL in our future. :)

Laura, Mybluesky2, I'm happy to hear you liked your plants. It was tough finding some unmunched nice ones after the deer had their buffet in my gardens. Why do they always go for the nicer ones??? Do they taste better too???
mjjones453

hosta received

Post by mjjones453 »

I squealed when I got home from work today, happy to see a package at my door! I am thrilled to have my first streaker! Savannah Supreme! I can't wait to see her grow! and also one that I haven't heard of "Swirls". Looks like a cute one! I am off to check the Library and books to find out what I can about them.Thank you so much Cindy, AKA "vawildflower"! and also the bonus Is it Daylillies? I am so excited! What color? I love everything you sent thank you so so much! I just love the trades, something to look forward to watching the next several years grow! Mary
grdnnkd

Post by grdnnkd »

I would like to thank Always Weeding for her generous trade of 6 hosta :o . All of the plants were beautiful and huge. I can say I only wish that my plants would grow as large.

This thank-you post is a bit overdue, just got back from vacation and forgot that 4-H fair judging was today. Kids were finishing projects in the fair parking lot!!

I received:

Blue Cadet
Ginko Craig
Green Piecrust - on my wish list!!
Honeybells
nigrescens
So Sweet

Thank you so much!
grdnnkd's Hosta List
Latitude: 46° 78' N; Longitude: -92° 12' W
AlwaysWeeding

Post by AlwaysWeeding »

Glad I could find some that you didn't have on your "have" list, and that Green Pie Crust and So Sweet were on the wish list, too.
You will enjoy the others that weren't on the wish list also. They pass the 20 ft. rule and are great growers.
AlwaysWeeding
My Hallsons Page -- viewtopic.php?t=44071&highlight=alwaysweeding
grdnnkd

Post by grdnnkd »

Yep. In my haste, I forgot to note that So Sweet was on my want list.

I sure can tell that they all will be beauties. You must have a beautiful garden AlwaysWeeding.

My 6yo saw Ginko Kraig and said, "That's a cute "little one"". I laughed, and told her there were smaller ones. She looked at me and rolled her eyes. "I know dad we got you Baby Bunting a few years ago before Zaidie was born".

I guess the little buggers do pay attention :wink:

Thanks again.
grdnnkd's Hosta List
Latitude: 46° 78' N; Longitude: -92° 12' W
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Yep - That me doin the happy hosta dance! I got my box today and I am THRILLED! Jo did a wonderful job and found some beauties to add to my garden.

First I opened Lakeside Downsized. I love Lakeside hostas and this one is adorable and will fit in nicely in my small/mini section.

Then I opened Grand Slam. I think she saw that I am into the ruffly edges and this one is just gorgeous.

The third one was Eskimo Pie. This has been on my wish list since it first became available, and now it is all mine!

And finally another Lakeside little guy - Lakeside Zinger. What a great looking hosta that is.

She also included a lovely note pad with an A on it so there can be no doubt who the "to do" list belongs to. :lol:

Thanks so much Jo - I love everything and will treasure the new garden additions. They are all super looking divisions and are getting a little soak before i go out to plant them.

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Nathalie23

Post by Nathalie23 »

It's my turn! It's my turn! I was right, we were only two canadians in this trade so LisaO was my trader like I was for her :wink:

Thank you LisaO, !!!! I received my trade today Wow! A really big box. Like a kid, I tried to open it in the car but there was too much tape...

Thanks a lot for all the hostas (huge by the way) that you sent to me! I love when I get new ones to have a bigger collection!!! Don't worry for the ratted leaves... that's the roots who are important and yours are very bigs!

The other perennial, columbine and pasque, had a little problem with the lack of water.... They are soaking right now. Maybe, I will lose the foliage but save the roots. Sedum are fine but losed its lower foliage In the last trade, your sent me hemerocallis and pulmonaria so thanks for the new perennials!

My daughter was jalous because it was my gift but she found a way to be happy because she got a worm from Alberta! She took it in a bowl and put some soil for him!

Thank also for the misc goodies! Lollipop are already eaten

Thanks again and have a good night!

Nathalie
Nathalie

I usually speak french so sorry for my mistakes in english
Nathalie23 Hosta List
Nathalie23

Post by Nathalie23 »

:oops: :oops: :oops: I forgot to tell what hostas I've got :-? :-? :-?

Canadian Blue
Blue Boy
Christmas Tree
Toy Soldier
Serenpidity
Valentine Lace

Thanks again LisaO! And by the way, the body cream smell awesome :D
Nathalie

I usually speak french so sorry for my mistakes in english
Nathalie23 Hosta List
jgh

Post by jgh »

The postman brought the big triangle box to the door... and what a treat!

Robyn (Willowy) sent three perfectly packaged large divisions - all new to me. They already have three places of honor in the gardens.

Golden Prayers - this is the infamous hosta Zillis talks about... Paul Aden registered it way back in 1976 and somehow there got to be two completely different hostas in the trade labeled this way. One is a golden Tokudama, the other a small yellow one that Zillis says is really Little Aurora. It will be fun to watch to see which I have.

Neptune - a newish one , medium to large green-blue with great ruffling... rave reviews for this one.

and a huge, double eyed mature division of Lakeside Cha Cha... I think this will be a real eye-catcher.

Got all three into the garden shortly after delivery - and can now almost type as my shovel pierced a yellowjacket nest in the ground and they rose up and hit my left side multiple times. Man those suckers hurt!

Thanks Robyn... very thoughtful choices, beautifully divided and perfectly packed... hope I can do as well by my trader!
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

I didn't sign up for the summer trade because I haven't been at home enough in the past month and a half to even plant the hostas I received in the first trade. I've been following the thread and have really enjoyed reading about all of the great hostas everyone received. :cool:

jgh, you poor thing! I sympathize with you. I've been stung by yellowjackets twice (without provocation) since we've lived in Indiana. Hurt is putting it mildly.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

Glad you liked them, Alexa!! And glad they arrived okay. Now, you know, the letter on the notepad COULD be so everyone else knew who they needed to do the "to do" list for! :D
Jo
The Garden is a Mirror of the Heart
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

I bought Neptune from Bob Solberg in Chicago, and It's really a cool looking one. It's flowering and I have a few crosses on it that look successful.
I put sevin powder on two jellow jacket ground nests this morning at dawn, a little later than recommended. Best done at night. Probably missed a few but can always repeat it another day.
LisaO

Post by LisaO »

You are welcome Nathalie...hopefully they do as well for you as they have for me. Crossing my fingers that the other perennials are okay.
"Busy Mom" from son up to son down :)
Lisa

Lisa's Hosta List
hostanquilts

Re: Summer Hallson's Trade RECEIVED!

Post by hostanquilts »

The mail lady came & delivered a Blue & White box from toymr2mk2... Art sent 4 great hosta that I didn't have... he really had to work there.
He sent:
Korean Minor
Dust Devil - I almost bought this one several years ago, but had to keep within my budget
Rootin Tootin
Streaked Ventricosa
I'm not familiar with the other 3 hosta & am really glad to get them.

He also sent 3 companion plants:
Ajuga 'Chocolate Chip'
Carex Morrowii 'Evergold'
Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola'.

The Ajuga was the only 1 that I had some of & I was wanting more... it is really a nice ground cover. I have other ajuga, but really like the Chocolate chip.
Thank you Art very much.... you have made my day, it was really worth waiting for. Have a great weekend!!
Jan

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble
remembering how to fly."

My Hosta List
toymr2mk2

Post by toymr2mk2 »

Jan,
You aren't kidding I had to work to find things you didn't have. That's one reason I was so late as I couldn't decide what to send. I am so glad you liked them. And again I do apologize for the package being so late. Did the scape on Dust devil survive? I was really surprised to see it set seed and did not know if you do any seed growing but thought it might be cool to try them. The streaked ventricosa is a division of a small seedling that is about 3 years old. I think it is going to stay rather small but I like that and the light green color it has. Korean minor or minor korean is a dwarf Korean species I believe. It has a very nice bloom and I believe is capable of rebloom though I haven't noticed mine doing it. I tend to like the small greenies because they seem to bloom so heavily that they really stand out. Rootin Tootin is probably about 2 yrs old from a first year tc plant. It is very vigorous for me and seems to do quite well for a white centered hosta. The companion plants are three of my favorites. I love the small ajuga as it isn't quite as vigorous as the larger ones and has great blue blooms. The Carex is a beautiful very graceful grassy plant. The Hakonechloa is one I had wanted for years and this year ended up getting two of them of which you got one. I love the pics I have seen of it and think it will look great in with the other shade plants.
I hope they grow well for you and give you as much enjoyment as they have given me! Take care and you too enjoy your weekend!
Art
Hostahaveum

Post by Hostahaveum »

Me too! Me too ! I received my trade today :bd: Judi sent a big box full of hosta & a Brunera :snow: I was so amazed at how healthy & great looking they were as the box was kinda beat up. But they made the trip & look so fresh ; as if newly dug! Thanks to everyone here that has made this a great swap & Thank you very much Judi :beer: I absolutely love all the ones you sent !!
Birchwood Parkys Gold - a stunning gold much needed here w/ all the blues.
Christmas Tree - Been eyeballin' this all summer my GF got the last one when we went shopping ..... love it !
Lakeside Down Sized - Yay ! Just started w/ the minis , this makes # 4 & now enough for a new mini garden.
Risky Business- Love the name & the plant .
My hubby has claimed the Brunnera , he is totally amazed at this his very own "Spotted Hosta " :lol:
I had great fun reading all the posts , & the anticipation was killing me these last few days :blush: I had already mixed up a batch of good soil & had the pot waiting :lol: Every much appreciated new plant will be tucked into their new homes before nightfall ! Thanks again Judi you really made my day :bd: ~ Dot
Hostahaveum
hostanquilts

Post by hostanquilts »

Yes, Art, the scape on Dust Devil survived the trip. I even left it on. :D I have them all potted up, waiting for their new home. I have several different areas to put them in. I got some compost to add to the soil when I plant them & 12 other hosta & plants that I've had sitting here a couple weeks. I've been busy pulling weeds. We were gone most of June & the weeds really took advantage of that, but I almost have them eradicated from the beds, only have 3 more areas to do & then I can start planting. My DH tilled an area in our natural tree area that we've slowly been clearing the last couple of years & I have a few hosta, a jacobs ladder & silver beacon in there. I'll need to amend that soil too I think. Thanks again for all the work in sending me hosta that I didn't have. I wouldn't have minded receiving hosta that I already have.
Jan

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble
remembering how to fly."

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply