New "companion" plant for hosta - LOL

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
twoblackdogs
USDA Zone: 5

New "companion" plant for hosta - LOL

Post by twoblackdogs »

My apologies in advance to those of you who like this plant... but this made me laugh today, so I thought I would share.

I got an email this morning from a friend. She was forwarding a picture from another friend of an unknown new plant that had somehow appeared in her hosta plantings. The email went on & on about what a neat plant it was, and she didn't know how it got there and how pretty the flowers were and as a bonus the deer didn't like it.
My friend forwarded it to me, as she knows I have hosta and thought I would know what it is and maybe I would want one.

Intrigued, I opened the email......to see a picture of a giant Pokeweed standing in a huge clump of Royal Standard.
I cracked up as I'd just been weeding small ones by the dozens out of my beds this morning - it's a bumper crop this year. I politely declined the plant offer, but ID'd it for them.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

:lol:

I had to google it to see what it was...we have them, too, I just didn't ever know what they were called. 'Hard to pull out' is what I remember about them. :lol:
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ginger
Arlene

Post by Arlene »

Been there, done that! In my early gardening years, I carefully tended a pokeweed clear through the growing season . . . I'd put in several new perennials the previous fall and assumed this was just a very successful one! When it outgrew everything else, I finally did some checking . . . my green thumb contrasted nicely with my red face.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I've been doing battle with those gorgeous plants too. And I need to get my pruning spade in action soon for a couple of the tall ones. :x The berries are beautiful. Just don't let even one of them fall to the ground. :eek:
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Annie

Post by Annie »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :lol:
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
hostanquilts

Post by hostanquilts »

If anyone wants any, I have lots of them here. I had read that the birds like the berries, so I let them grow a couple years & now I have tooooo many, so I've been pulling or digging them up as I find them. Never did see the birds eating them.
Jan

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble
remembering how to fly."

My Hosta List
Annie

Post by Annie »

Oh they eat them alright. Then they poop on your car!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
New Topic Post Reply