Hosta (still) in need of an ID

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Hosta (still) in need of an ID

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

A few years ago Mike (seedseller1) was trying to ID a plant but we didn't have any luck. He sent me a piece to see if I could help, but this one has me stumped... After growing it I can tell you a few things:

1) This plant is clearly related to Hosta 'Undulata Albomarginata' and Hosta 'Erromena' as the flowers and bloom time are identical

2) This plant is most likely a sport of one of those plants.

3) The edge of this plant starts out creamy yellow and slowly darkens to a light green but is visible most of the season.

I've been waiting for Mark Zilis' book so that we can look to see if he mentions any Undulata sports like this one.

Does anyone know this plant? I have a feeling that if it is registered it is listed as "unknown parentage".
Attachments
mikeunknown1.jpg
mikeunknown1.jpg (37.54 KiB) Viewed 820 times
mikeunknown.jpg
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Can't help you there, but definately a cool leaf. :)
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Well, Henk Hooijer's undulata page lists an 'Undulata kifukurin' that would apply, but I've not found a picture. I'd say yours qualifies. If anything, the name is generic enough.
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

It sure looks like a plant that ought to be on the market if it is indeed a gold edged Undulata. And I agree that it does look like it is.
I remember that post, we were all stumped. But looking at the inflorescence is the best method to sort it out!
Kent

Post by Kent »

Maybe Fools Gold? or Brass Horn.

Kent
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Thanks for the input. I think years ago it was suggested as possibly Fool's Gold, and after growing it I think that could seriously be the correct ID. This was a totally different looking plant in the spring, with the margins being a bright golden yellow, but then those margins slowly greened up. Also the flowers on Fool's Gold look more like Undulata and nothing like Fortunei, so I think that could complete the ID even better.

Undulata Kifukurin also sounds like a viable alternative. I'll let Mike know about this thread.

Thanks again!

Chris
Seedseller1

Post by Seedseller1 »

Don't know how I missed this thread, I've been lurking heavily here lately :lol: :lol:

If planted in a place where it will get sun till noon or so, it will retain that yellow edge but it never looks as good this late in the year as it does earlier. If planted in full sun, the edge will bleach out to white. Mine planted in filtered shade looks just like the one I sent Chris.

Chris, I know I sent you a nice sized division, but wouldn't you agree this one would fall in the "good grower" list?

Kent, for some reason I think we ruled out Brass Horn and Fool's Gold last time we kicked this thing around but I don't remember why.

I have a ton of it around here and have givin a ton of it away. Works excellent around trees so you don't have to trim around them after circleing them with the rider. :D

Thanks for bringing this up again, Chris. Someday will get to the bottom of it.
KatailS

Re: Hosta (still) in need of an ID

Post by KatailS »

Hi All~
The first hosta that came to mind when I saw it was Fool's Gold.... and after reading the replies I see I am not alone. I realize you ruled it out, but it looks just like mine. Just my 2 cents.
Good luck with the ID.
Cheers~
Kathie
KatailS
New Topic Post Reply