Would the real Little Wonder please stand up?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Would the real Little Wonder please stand up?

Post by caliloo »

Here are some photos of my Little Wonder that came from the same pot. The leaves and bloom time look identical except one is MUCH smaller than the other.

The larger one is maybe 6 inches tall with 10" scapes, the smaller one is truly half that size with maybe 4 - 5 inch scapes. The last photo shows the little one next to Popo for a size comparison.

What do you think is going on with these two plants? Are they both Little Wonder and one is just bigger than the other? Is one a sport? If it sported which is the correct size?

Any ideas are appreciated!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

I think one is bigger than the other because it has a bigger root system. I have seen Little wonder in different gardens get a lot bigger than I expected.
hostanquilts
USDA Zone: 5

Post by hostanquilts »

I have Little Wonder/Little Wonder Supreme that is streaked. It's raining out & dark right now, but I'll try to remember to take a picture tomorrow & post it for you. I got it at Soules Gardens in Indianapolis several years ago before the original owners sold the business. I just looked at their cataloge & they aren't offering it this year. I've only been there once since the new owers took it over. My DD lives just south of there about 15 miles, guess the next time I go over, I'll have to stop in.
Jan

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble
remembering how to fly."

My Hosta List
hostanquilts
USDA Zone: 5

'Little Wonder'

Post by hostanquilts »

Here is a picture of my 'Little Wonder', I call it Little Wonder Supreme because it has some streaking on it.

Hosta Registry - http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.ph ... e%20Wonder
MyHostas Database - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Little+Wonder
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/l/littlewonder.html
Little Wonder 7-30-08.jpg
Jan

"Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble
remembering how to fly."

My Hosta List
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Jan, look for streaked pods on that, you may have some really good-looking babies from it.
I don't have a pic of my Little Wonder...it's quite a bit larger than I thought it would be, but still a very nice-looking smaller hosta. I got mine from Marita in one of the secret trades several years ago.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
DryGulch

Re: Would the real Little Wonder please stand up?

Post by DryGulch »

My Little Wonder is a fairly evenly concentric circle maybe 8" wide by 3" tall, with scapes 6" to 8" tall with darker purple flowers.
New Topic Post Reply