No seeds this year?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
mooie

No seeds this year?

Post by mooie »

You'd think that with all the extra rain and cooler temps this year, that the seed production on the hostas would be very high. I am finding less and less seed pods on the plants as time goes by! :( Even my most reliable self pollinators are sparsely podded.

I wonder if the timing of the mosquito fogging throughout town this year has anything to do with it. It could have knocked down the bee population also. My 3 favs for seed have so far produced nothing. Delta Pride, Breeder's Choice and Diana Gray Dalton. I used up all my old Delta Pride seeds last year after the squirrels ate my pods last year. :oops:

Anyone else seeing a shortage of pods?

mooie
~Imagine~
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Re: No seeds this year?

Post by caliloo »

Not me! I was walking through the garden last night thinking it is a bumper crop this year. Even plants I have never had set seed are now ripe with pods.

It was hotter and wetter here than usual this summer and I saw TONS of bees out doing their thing.

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
woodthrush

Post by woodthrush »

Just the opposite here. I have an extraordinary amount of pods. Mostly carpenter bees and they are working hard.
Pam
Pods on Komodo Dragon
Attachments
komodo dragon pods.JPG
mooie

Post by mooie »

I'm guessing that the mosquito spraying is the culprit in the lack of bee pollination then. :( O well, guess there's always next year eh? :???:

mooie
~Imagine~
baja220
USDA Zone: 6

Post by baja220 »

I have pods on everything except what I pollinated and labled. And now it's way tooooooo hot to set pods. :roll:
New Topic Post Reply