H. Li'l Abner

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

H. Li'l Abner

Post by jobranch »

Below is the bonus hosta that Chris sent with my recent order. I ordered Raspberry Sorbet, Yesterday's Memories and Beckoning. I like all of them, in particular Raspberry Sorbet, but the Li'l Abner was the best of all. Li'l Abner made this a memorable order. I had never noticed this hosta before, but it has great color and is very upright. Great selection Chris!

Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Re: H. Li'l Abner

Post by Spider »

Ooooo, that's nice! What size is it? Is it a mini?
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
jobranch

Post by jobranch »

It is a medium - 30 x 18.
jgh

Post by jgh »

It appears to have that "third color" affect... the light line between the margins and center... like Toy Soldier. I like that look...
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Glad you enjoy it! L'il Abner does have a unique look to it. The margin goes through some neat color changes, but always seems to look best in our shady growing area. I've noticed that it isn't all that sun tolerant, so keep it in some dappled to full shade.

As it grows up it will be more mounding and won't actually be upright later on. We tend to grow things pretty close together so they start to all "stretch out" as they compete for light. So far these have grown pretty quickly. I just wonder how it came about getting this name :hmm:
jgh

Post by jgh »

I read that this is a sport of Rosedale ' Daisy Mae' which helps explain the name... though it begs the question of why Daisy Mae.

And just in case any one is too young to have even heard of Al Capp and one of the most popular comic strips in newspaper history, running from 1934.

Li'l Abner was about the various goings on in Dogpatch, USA, a hillbilly enclave. Li'l Abner wooed, and eventually married (OK,it took almost 20 years of public courtship!), Daisy Mae, a voluptuous beauty in very short cutoffs and plunging neckline blouse, with a physique even less physically plausible than a Barbie doll.

Capp used the column to satirize the foibles of humans, and especially politicians. He was a cantakerous and difficult man, so he often ran contrary to popular opinion. He was a liberal during the conservative 50s and was a darling of the Left, then turned around and became very right-wing conservative during the liberal sixties and seventies. If you lived long enough, you both loved and hated Al Capp and Li'l Abner.

Capp gave us the lovable Schmoos. He also invented an entirely implausible character, Sadie Hawkins, who gave us Sadie Hawkins Day - the one day each year in Dogpatch when a woman could get a man to marry her by catching him in the Sadie Hawkins day race. This became a cultural event, with most high schools having a Sadie Hawkins Dance, the one time each year when a girl could ask a guy for a date.
Last edited by jgh on Aug 17, 2008 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willowy

Post by Willowy »

I really like Li'l Abner too - it might be my favorite purchase of 2008 (I also bought it from Hallsons). I selected it for the two tone edge which looks to be more prominent than the edge of Deja Vu. Thanks for the tip on the planting site Chris. I might just move it to a shadier area.
a.k.a. hostabuff
My Hosta List & My Blog
jobranch

Post by jobranch »

I don't want to steal and of Spider's thunder, but check out the link below to one of the best Saturday Night Live skits of all time. I got a fever!

www.metacafe.com/watch/1017105/more_cowbell
jgh

Post by jgh »

Daisy Mae sells war bonds and the original Li'l Abner.
daisymae_warbonds_poster_sm.jpg
daisymae_warbonds_poster_sm.jpg (35.33 KiB) Viewed 3497 times
lil abner.gif
lil abner.gif (18.14 KiB) Viewed 3496 times
Diana
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Diana »

Oh jgh, you manage to trigger some way-back-when memories. I really liked the Schmoos. Also, the Li'l Abner character Joe Blfphstk (there's no way I can spell that). He was the poor fellow who went around with a black cloud always hanging over his head. You pronounced his name by sticking out your tongue and blowing.

I might have to get this hosta to remind me of Al Capp, and the Sunday Funnies.

-Diana
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

Hosta Registry - http://hostaregistrar.org/detail.php?id ... 'l%20Abner
MyHostas Database - http://myhostas.be/db/hostas/Li'l+Abner
Hosta Library - http://www.hostalibrary.org/l/lilabner.html

Here is my Li'l Abner today.
Li'l Abner - July 8, 2013
And here it is earlier in the season.
Li'l Abner - May 9, 2013
Li'l Abner - May 9, 2013
Here is a photo from last season.
Li'l Abner - June 8, 2012
And a leaf showing the the "glow" between the center and margin colors.
Last edited by redcrx on Jul 08, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
hippieindenial
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by hippieindenial »

Great pics, redcrx. L'il Abner always catches my eye. Yours is a beauty.
Vanessa
New Topic Post Reply