what did you not do?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
vawildflower

what did you not do?

Post by vawildflower »

After reading Chris's post about what are we doing in the garden now, I realized that most of my thoughts were more about what I didnt get done this year. I started with great intentions this year, but as usual some hosta site, hosta picture, or hosta sale got me a little distracted!

here a few things that I will focus on next year...
...take a picture of each hosta (for my own reference..cause sometimes I just cant remember)
....making sure each is labeled and figuring out my NO NAMERS
...make a current list of hosta ..remove the names of all the ones that died
....take care of my hosta by treating for slugs, crown rot, etc
....clean up my holding bed area
....finish my new bed that I started
...plant my whiskey barrels (after I figure out what hosta should go where)
....rip out any perennial that struggles around here and replace with something tried and true!
...plant all the shrubs I have bought ( i must have thought I owned 5 acres) lol
....and water water water!!!

It just amazes me how I try so hard to stay focus but something always gets in my way. Maybe one day, I will just watch this garden come up, I will take care of it, NOT move any hosta or perennials,and lastly not buy any plants!! I would just like to enjoy all the hard work and frustrations that I have given to this wonderful little garden of mine. I can dream ...lololol

I sure hope that you all had better results then I. I would love to hear either...or!

wild
chevy

Re: what did you not do?

Post by chevy »

I have been pondering that subject for weeks wild...
For those of us that live in the much shorter summers than others, there are a few things I did not get done.
I have been planning on making some hyper troughs for 2 years now.. not done
I have been planning on ordering some agro bags all summer, just did that yesterday..
Still don't know what to do in the back of the house, maybe next year?
Have a memory garden to lay out and to finish the playground garden..
And I also have to update my list and take off the plants that died...

But it sure seems like I have worked my butt off this year!!

ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

wild - try to do one better and take REGULAR pictures of each Hosta during the season. It DOES take time, but I frequently refer back to those pics to see how they change during the season and if you manage to name the pics, you also have a valuable record that will help you identify plants, should the marker go missing, by the surrounding plants - assuming, of course, that you don't move too many now.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Yes, I also didn't get as many pictures as I would like. Luckily the hostas here still look really good, and I can photoshop out slug holes pretty easily, though they haven't been bad this year ;)
Noreaster

Post by Noreaster »

In the early Spring, I bought a roll of copper foil that I intended to craft into 3" high collars for about a dozen or more hosta. I thought I'd test the theory about slugs not wanting to cross copper. Well, somehow, I only got to two of them, and I seriously regret not taking the time to make more of them. The two I made collars for are in exceptionally good shape. Especially Diana Remembered, which got shredded last year. I did pluck some baby slugs off DR in the early part of the season, so the copper isn't foolproof, but it certainly seems to be a decent deterrent, based on my experiment this year. Most of the rest of my hosta are in ruins from the slug attacks. So over the winter I will definitely be making more collars for use next year. And I will try to get around to doing the ammonia drench thing, too. I will also take a master photograph of all the beds at the very end of the year, print it out, and label it. I use that instead of plant markers to keep track of everything. I kind of wanted to take a count of number of eyes in the Spring to get a sense of how fast a hosta increases, but I didn't do that either.

I wish I could stop moving stuff around and just let it be, but I just can't. I feel like I'm never satisfied with the way stuff looks...or I get bored, and want to change it up.
jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

Post by jobranch »

What I did not do was take proper care of my hosta as it relates to slugs, rabbit, bees, etc. I will apply the Bayer All-In-One stuff early next season, followed closely by some deer/rabbit repellant, and then put out slug bait. I was amazed how quickly my hosta were attacked this year. I will baby them more in 2009. I will also expand my 3rd hosta bed which now has only four hosta in it.
Shade Tolerant

Post by Shade Tolerant »

Great thread loulou!
Didn't take enough pix here either but that's another story.
Have not redone my maps in awhile and that is something I better do since I don't use labels.
Never got around to hooking up a small fountain I have.
Never got that load of mulch delivered I desperately needed. Or the compost for that matter.
Never transplanted the huge undulata erromena that has prime real estate.
Didn't make the new rose bed I wanted to do. Too many roses scattered hither and thither.
Maybe next year. Everything is starting to wind down now, too dry and hot to think about more projects.
Cool trucks and bike in the garden Chevy!
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

What did I not do? I bought Striptease, then aparently didn't water it in well enough, didn't notice for 3 days. Striptease is now a nice golden brown. :( It has 3 leaves with enough green to carry on. It has a nice root system though, and I promtly took it into the bathtub and sprayed it down. I let it sit in it's puddle for 3 days. So now hopefully it's not too wet! :lol: Totally my fault. Some of Chris' plants are a bit burnt, but overall they are doing great and sending up new eyes. I need to water tonight.
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I didn't WEED!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

I didn't get nearly as much "garden time" as I would have liked. There was so much to do INSIDE the new house that I didn't ge OUTSIDE as much as I would have liked.
Helen
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
loisf

Post by loisf »

What I did not do... was buy another six hostas this afternoon. I had them in my wagon (they were all half price), and I actually used my willpower and put them all back on the shelves (except a little Fireworks which I couldn't resist). I have absolutely no place to put them, and leaving them in pots over the winter is too much work here in Minnesota. I am alternately very pleased with myself and then sad that I left them on the shelf. My problem is that I attribute human traits to them. Intelluctually, I know that they really don't care if they spend their lives with me or someone else, but emotionally, I know they would be happier with me.
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I did not:
make as many trips to local nurseries as usual.
get my beds enlarged or new ones started.
plant any of the hostas that I've accumulated since the middle of July
finish the pruning I was going to do this summer
paint the front porch
lay my patio
clean my garden shed

But I did help my brother through a really tough 9 weeks of hospitalization, and the rest can wait.

Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I sure hope hostas don't have emotions. The way I beat them up and neglect them I'm sure mine would all be pretty emotionally disturbed :eek:

Or do we just call that "tough love" :lol:
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

As it relates to Hostas in particular, what I did NOT do is Rossize some cultivars I had plans for. That may prove to be a blessing in disguise however, since the room on the rack and bench they would have taken up is now showing off some of this year's acquisitions, and I probably wouldn't have had room for those with these extra divisions. Who am I kidding, I DON'T have room for more Hostas, and I'm supposedly getting some more this afternoon as a result of a trade..... I NEED A LARGER YARD!!!!
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply