Potted hosta overwintering advice?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Quiet Storm

Potted hosta overwintering advice?

Post by Quiet Storm »

Does anyone leave hostas in pots outdoors over the winter? I have several that I've potted, some following heat treatment for nematodes, some fairly good sized ones that have been growing in pots for years, and some newbies for which I haven't decided on a permanent home. I usually put the potted ones under a stand of hemlock trees in the shade border or under the forsythia hedge for the winter, and so far I have had good luck. I have a Komodo Dragon seedling that I really don't want to lose, though, and was wondering if I should put it in the ground since it is so small. The potted hostas that have survived several winters in pots all have some size to them. I haven't tried overwintering a seedling in a pot outdoors. I'd also like to keep the ones being treated for nematodes in pots until I know it the treatment was successful. Are they more susceptible to winter damage in pots once they've been heat treated?

Thanks for any advice.
Gloria

I will breathe after my own fashion...
Henry David Thoreau, Civil Disobedience

My Hosta List
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Potted hosta overwintering advice?

Post by thy »

Thin k it is a clima thing

I'm in zone 7/8 and even tiny seedlings do fine in pots

The zone 4/5 peple have big troubles with pots

Hope someone in your area or with the same conditions can guide you...

A very protected area/shed or in the ground may be your task

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Quiet Storm

Post by Quiet Storm »

Thanks Pia. I don't have a shed, but I can keep the smaller potted hostas in the bulkhead over the winter. The bigger ones I will keep under the hemlocks, which is a fairly sheltered area.
Gloria

I will breathe after my own fashion...
Henry David Thoreau, Civil Disobedience

My Hosta List
mooie

Post by mooie »

Last year, I overwintered a lot of pots by taking them to an unused area and digging a hole for each one and 'burying them'. They all came back in good shape. Different story this year. I will be moving and altho I'm not taking 100% of my hosta with me, it's not a stretch of the imagination to say that there will be over 300 pots to find a spot for. Luckily I'm just moving across the street to a smaller home and yard!! I'm not putting this house on the market until I've moved and either replaced the plant or reseeded the area back to grass. I have lots of seedlings to replace with and we'll see how far they go. :D

mooie
~Imagine~
Wheasie

Post by Wheasie »

From a reply I left on another post:

Here is what I've done for success with my "small" ones. First, they need to be in an appropriate size pot for their roots - plastic. Then inset the small pot into a larger one with dirt on the bottom and sides - helps to insulate the smaller potted plant. Once dormant, do not water anymore and move to a protected area on the north side of the house - this way it doesn't get sun that might create a freeze/thaw cycle that can cause it to rot. I put them together touching and then loosely pack pine needles around the perimeter and tops of the pots - pine needles stay a dryer than leaves which harbor a lot of microorganisms.

I uncover them in the first part of March and play-it-by-ear from here - moving select pots that are making progress out into the garden a few weeks later once the eyes start to show. Too soon might cause them to break domancy sooner than they might in the ground, but a hard freeze will set them back. Fertilize lightly once the eyes show - more regularly once leaves start to unfurl.

For my established potted hostas - pretty much the same - north side of the house (or whatever), no sun that would promote a freeze/thaw cycle, no water that might predispose them to rot. Cover/protect with a nice layer of pine straw - pull 'em out in March and let them go.

Lousie
New Topic Post Reply