How do I save this hosta?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
weed30

How do I save this hosta?

Post by weed30 »

I went to dig up my Niagra Falls, which wasn't looking so great. Now I know why. It has no roots! Not sure what got to it, but all I have is one fat little eye with some possible new baby roots growing. How do I save it? I put it in a glass of water for now. Here are some pics:

Roxanne

Re: How do I save this hosta?

Post by Roxanne »

Try to save it if you must. I would buy a new one, and wait to see later if this one makes it.
Sorry
Rox
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

You'll be further ahead doing as Roxanne suggested. This will really set it back.

If you want to try, I'd dust the crown area with rooting hormone. That will encourage faster rooting, plus it usually has a fungicide to help ward off rot. Then pot it in soil-less potting media, keep it damp and out of direct sun. It will either root or rot in a couple weeks.
weed30

Post by weed30 »

Thanks to both of you for answering. I will just order another one. Poor hosta :(
Carol W
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Carol W »

weed30 wrote:Thanks to both of you for answering. I will just order another one. Poor hosta :(
Yes order another, but also I would give it a chance using Josh suggestion as I notice an eye bud on the crown which looks heathy.
Carol
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

A new one is a good idea, but try the old one too...dry it out a few days in the shade before you plant it, it will help it fight rot

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

It looks like something was chewing on your hosta. I'd be on the lookout for voles, too.
Once they get a taste of your hostas, they'll be back for more.
I would probably get a new plant, also, but would still try to save the old one.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
weed30

Post by weed30 »

I'd be on the lookout for voles, too.
Once they get a taste of your hostas, they'll be back for more.
Well PFFFFFFFFTTT to those voles! I am in the process of digging out all of my hostas, so when the voles come back, the buffet will be closed. :cool:
NancyL

Post by NancyL »

When you plant your new hosta you might want to invest in a protective nest for it. I use the pond plant baskets to plant my hostas into the ground, keeps the voles from hitting them from below. If they hit the hosta from the top, they expose themselves to predators and usually do less damage. Enclosed is a tiny picture of a Krossa Regal that I moved a few weeks ago. It is hard to see but the main body of roots are in the basket, protecting them, but look at all of the roots extending out of the basket. This is about the only way I have been able to save my hostas from vole damage. That basket was probably 14x14" square.

Try to give the piece a shot, use the root product, keep it moist and it will probably come back. I am amazed the number of hostas that I have thought were completely decimated by vole damage in the past that have resurrected themselves from little pieces left in the ground.
Attachments
hosta basket.jpg
hosta basket.jpg (2.5 KiB) Viewed 997 times
The kiss of the sun for pardon
The song of the birds for mirth
One is nearer God's heart in the garden
Than anywhere on earth
Doris Frances Gurney "Garden Thoughts"
New Topic Post Reply