I got it!!

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

I got it!!

Post by Spider »

I just won the Hosta Handbook for $55 on Ebay! You guys were sleeping. :) There's another one listed for $110.
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
newtohosta-no more

Re: I got it!!

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Congrats! That's an excellent price! I remember seeing several listed for over $200 once.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
steg
USDA Zone: 5

Post by steg »

Nicely done....

How come you didn't mention the auction before now?? :lol:

We pickup one up off ebay last year the same way....kinda squeezed through at about that price. Good deal. :beer:
hummingbird
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by hummingbird »

WTG! I just listed my handbook on Ebay today since I no longer have use for it. My hostas don't thrive here in Colorado like they did in Canada...so my garden will be changing and I'll be digging frantically come spring ....ahhh. :???:

Opps... edited to add I forgot to add the auction url http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0316545108
"Friends are as elusive as rainbows"
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

Hummingbird,
why are your hostas not thriving in CO????
are you in the drier parts of colorado?

cheryl
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
hummingbird
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by hummingbird »

Hi Cheryl,

Yes dry for sure, I'm in the burbs of Denver. The hostas emerge here very early with such warm late winter days, but temps dip too much at night. So the young ones really suffer the wrath of that and look pukey all season. Very dry and 'tiger sh*t' soil as my father-in-law puts it. I took alot of my hostas from back home to CO and they didn't like the change from comfort, easy living to working hard and struggling. I never lost hostas from spring rot before until moving here either. We made new raised beds to help fight some of the hard clay issues, but they all still had a huge challenge and they just don't have the ummmph and beauty here that they used to have, or that I'm used too back home.
So with the majority of the gardens filled with hostas the gardens look terrible, cuz they're just not happy. Not sure if the Altitude is an extra issue too. Now I know why I seldom see a hosta around here and far and few between in the nurseries. Just dang succulents and cactus plants ahhhhhhhhhhhh! :x I'm frustrated and sad to see it all go, but I'm tired of fighting it. My heart was into the crossing and breeding of hostas for several years and that fell apart too, they struggle so much they barely make seed. We have an irrigation sytem, just not doing what needs to be done apparently.
Some in the deep shade are holding up ok, but thriving, no. Even the typical fast growers are in a turtle race .
So we decided to plant herbs and more fitting plants to the area and perhaps make things with them. So come spring out with the old and in with the new. I will keep a few hostas I can't part with no matter how ugly duckling they are, but things have to change, just like the last few years everything else has.
"Friends are as elusive as rainbows"
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Put them in pots! No worry about dry soil, no critters, easy to water, easy to move around in your garden.

Ginger
New Topic Post Reply