Montana Aureomarginata & friends '03 - '08

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
tsbccowboy
Location: Apple Valley, Minnesota 44°43'39.50"N 93°14'52.40"W

Montana Aureomarginata & friends '03 - '08

Post by tsbccowboy »

Montana Aureomarginata was among the first Hostas planted when we got the bug in the Fall of '03.

I think Joe Namath may have been referring to Hostas when he said "I Can't Wait Until Tomorrow ... 'Cause I Get Better-Looking Every Day".

Grouping
September, 2003 - Montana Aureomarginata is half way up and about 1/4 of the way over from the left.

Grouping
June, 2004 - Montana Aureomarginata just to the left and a little above center

Montana Aureomarginata
6/13/05

Grouping
6/1/06

Grouping
7/2/06

Grouping
6/7/07

Grouping
6/27/07

Grouping
6/4/08

Montana Aureomarginata
6/12/08

Montana Aureomarginata
6/15/08 - Recently split from the plant in the other photos. This is in more shade & is quite a bit darker.

Grouping
6/26/08
Hosta-Haven

Re: Montana Aureomarginata & friends '03 - '08

Post by Hosta-Haven »

Before I saw this hosta, I thought all there was in the hosta kingdom was "green & whites" and "solid green!" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is the hosta that started me out in my addiction....[Image
Char
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Wow, that grouping sure has come a long way in 5 years. That is fantastic.

Montana Aureomarginata was a tough one for me to grow at first. For years it would always be the first to come up, get destroyed by late frosts, then take the rest of the summer to recuperate. But when I moved here I found a spot with more of a northern exposure, planted it in an area that gets no early spring sunlight, and cover them with a little mulch in the fall to keep them dormant longer in the spring. Now it is no longer the first to come up here (I think Wolverine is the first up now) and does much better :D
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

Chris, I have had great luck with a northernly exposure here for Montana Aureo as well...but I got lucky. It's where I planted it to begin with. It does get some afternoon sun, but not so much to fry it. Earliest Hosta here is 'Chinese Sunrise'

Cowboy....great progress on your plant, and I about died laughing at your Joe Namath comment. I must have read that book 3 times in the early 70's!! I bet Mom still has it somewhere.

I dug around for pictures of my MA. Best one is from 2005. I really need to start taking pictures again. This one was taken at dusk with a flash. Planted in 1997 I think, with it's friend Krossa Regal planted at the same time. :P
Attachments
Krossa regal, Montana Aureo 2005.jpg
hummingbird
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by hummingbird »

Beautiful transition...well worth the wait! :P
"Friends are as elusive as rainbows"
tsbccowboy
Location: Apple Valley, Minnesota 44°43'39.50"N 93°14'52.40"W

Post by tsbccowboy »

hummingbird,

It is really getting fun to see the growth on the Hostas. 2004 was my first big year of planting Hostas.

Here is a photo from 2004 with Montana Aureomarginata on the left side. Thought it was fun to have the fox in there. The gold Hosta on the right was given to me by my Mother in the Fall of 2003 (I couldn't believe there were gold plants).

cowboy

Fox
6/29/04
New Topic Post Reply