Can anyone identify? PART 2 Holy cow-WOW!

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Gardenitis
USDA Zone: 5b

Can anyone identify? PART 2 Holy cow-WOW!

Post by Gardenitis »

Well, thanks to everyone who has already replied to part 1 of this topic. If you remember, I was asking for the identity of this BGH which has lived at this house for quite some time. I, on the other hand, have only been here since Feb. 2008. To say the least it's been a crazy year.
Mystery hosta BGH
Mystery hosta BGH
IMG_2688.jpg (22.25 KiB) Viewed 872 times
Anyway, another member asked me about potential watermarks on the leaves. So I went looking for more photos. That's when I found photos my father took of this hosta earlier in the season. Here it is:
Early in the season
Early in the season
IMG_2502_2.jpg (35.43 KiB) Viewed 874 times
Early in the season closeup
Early in the season closeup
IMG_2502_2_2.jpg (29.23 KiB) Viewed 875 times
GOOD HEAVENS! :o How did I forget that this is what it looked like??? I dunno :oops: . My only excuse is that I am newly hosta addicted and didn't really pay much attention to them prior to addiction onset (it was very rapid onset ... only took 1 visit to a neighbor's hosta laden garden).

Given this new information - any thoughts on identity? And what can I do to keep it looking like this????
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Can anyone identify? PART 2 Holy cow-WOW!

Post by redcrx »

Hi Gardenitis, please take a look at my topic "Another green hosta?". I think you will find my first picture looks like your hosta early in the season.

Please check Fortunei Albopicta in the hosta library.

http://www.hostalibrary.org/f/f.html
Last edited by redcrx on Mar 08, 2009 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Too funny :lol:

On your other thread I was thinking that it looked like some kind of fortunei group plant, but didn't think it was quite right for Hosta Fortunei Hyacinthina, then thought maybe something like Hosta Elata. But I think it has been positively identified now that we see the early variegation on it: Hosta 'Fortunei Albopicta' :)
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Chris - that's exactly what I was going to suggest. so glad to know my instincts were correct. It's a lovely plant early in the season. I gave mine away because with my limited space it took more space than I wanted to devote to a plant which, for me, turned solid green fairly early.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
felco2
USDA Zone: 6

Post by felco2 »

Hi looks like hosta 'On Stage'
Attachments
OnstageL.jpg
OnstageL.jpg (19.59 KiB) Viewed 584 times
Felco2
The best views of the garden come from working on one's knees. The pause from working when you can drink it all in.
New Topic Post Reply