Kind of nervous. I broke my golden rule.

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
HostaDesigner

Kind of nervous. I broke my golden rule.

Post by HostaDesigner »

I put my seedlings outside before May 15th. I made a small bedsheet-covered igloo for them until they can handle the sun, but the weather looks very moderate for at least another week and a half. Cloudy and storms tomorrow, so at least one day before the sun shines again...

(bites fingernails nervously)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Kind of nervous. I broke my golden rule.

Post by Chris_W »

This weather is making me kind of nervous too! It has been a couple weeks since we've had a frost which is very unusual. Hopefully your seedlings will be alright and harden off easily for you.
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

Yeah, fingers crossed Chris. It is very unusual to not have a frost for this long. :???: I'm usually setting the sprinklers to splash them with warm water, covering with buckets, sheets, and pots... but this year, not yet.
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

My neighbor and I were just talking about this yesterday. With the milder weather everyone is very anxious to start planting, but he and I both said it was too early to do that safely here in NE Ohio. We have ALWAYS had a May frost in the past. I'm beginning to think this year might be different, but we'll still wait to put stuff in the ground. :???:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

In Il mine have been out for about 3 weeks. They aren't that great this year anyway. I know that rule thou. I did buy 4 tomato plants this weekend and planted them up in pots.
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

I'm in zone 6, and this temperate weather is not typical for us either. We usually have frost up until mid-May. We did have a threat of below freezing temps two nights ago, but it didn't dip below 40 (yea!!).

Our swamp magnolia has been hit every year by frost as far back as I can remember, but this year the flowers were fabulous and the petals fell off once they were spent, not because they were frozen. My hostas are fully unfurled now and everything else in the yard is following suit too.

Here's to hoping we get through this period of uncertainty to warmer stable weather! :beer:
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
JoshS
USDA Zone: 4

Post by JoshS »

They are saying 37* here Saturday night...that's getting a little close for comfort... :???:
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Heads up as I'm sending these storms that we have had the past several days, your way!! We are now over 200% of rainfall that we got last year for this time.
Plus the temps are dipping down ward again, not to freezing but way to cool for this time of year. Hope it doesn't turn to snow like a month ago for everyone back
east.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Wow - considering it was in the 90's for several days last week, I am stunned to hear that some of you are still worrying about frost! I am more worried about the lovely rain we have had for the last several days coming to an end. After the droughts last year all my plants are smiling with the sodden ground now.

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
twoblackdogs
USDA Zone: 5

Post by twoblackdogs »

Frost advisory tonight - looking for a freeze north of Grand Rapids. :eek: Hopefully tonight & tomorrow will be it for the spring! There's no way that I can cover my big ones, so a good watering is in order this afternoon and then I'll get up a little extra early tomorrow and soak them again before I leave for school - especially the ones in the low frost prone area. At least the trees in my yard really came out this week, so that should help with the temp. At least I hadn't bought any annuals yet!!
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

So far so good. We're a bit covered from the trees, but tonight is a low of 37. I also have the seedlings in a sheet-covered igloo for a week now, and they've been doing great. I'm sure it's holding a bit of warmth too.

Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Cool igloo :)

Last night got down into the mid 30s but the dew point always remained above freezing so I wasn't worried. It was foggy all night with a very heavy dew, so no worries about temperature. Tonight the dew point is a little lower, and although there is a frost advisory they say it should stay a little breezy too, so again, although I'm watching closely, I think we will be in the clear. The trees have also started to leaf out so that helps a lot.

Good luck to those north of us. It is really supposed to get cold tonight :(
twoblackdogs

Post by twoblackdogs »

It was 37 at my house this morning. Moisture on my car roof was frozen, as was my windshield. I'm more worried about tonight - it seems colder, clear and no breeze, and like Chris said, less humidity. Right now it's 47. Ouch.
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

Joan, you had to say it...and sure enough we got frost last night! I did not cover, but it looks like the trees served us well. The side lot looks frosty, but not a bit where the hostas are.
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

There was frost on the car this morning, but not on the grass. I watered a lot of hostas last night before going to bed with the hopes the extra moisture would help. I covered the more sensitive plants, and so far things look fine.

Hopefully that is the last scare!

Chris
Wanda

Post by Wanda »

It is just plain UNNATURAL to not have regular freezes/frosts up here this time of year! Generally, I am out there at least every other evening frantically covering hosta until the second week of June...but not this year (so far). Just weird! Not that I am complaining, tho'! I had resigned myself to not covering this year - just don't have the time with MIL getting worse and worse. And I still have 6 out of 11 fruit trees, 7 blueberries, 11 blackberries, 6 red raspberries, 6 black raspberries, 3 purple raspberries, 3 yellow raspberries, 2 cranberries and 2 seedless green grapes to plant...along with all the usual veggies. Sigh...I am tired just thinking of it!

I have a feeling, tho', that the freezes will come after the hosta are completely leafed out...when they are really hard to get covered in a hurry (hehe).

wanda
New Topic Post Reply