Hallson's Get-Together 2009

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Re: Hallson's Get-Together 2009

Post by Marlys »

OK! - Who was it that actually named H 'Boomerang'? I need to give credit due when it is registered.
There is a 'Valley Boomerang' hosta named for the shape of it leaves I think. Does anyone know of another hosta named Boomerang? Wish I had a space in my gardens to put my 'Boomerang' back in the ground.

My daughter moved last summer and is now creating new gardens. I'm thinking alot of my surplus plants will be moving over there real soon. I'd like to clean out my shade house completely so I can grow more sdlgs. I have some Sally & Bob sdlgs that look promising.

Trudy - the Hallson Reunion day would have even been more fun if you & Connie could have been there. Everyone asked for Connie.

Jo - Emmy was so cute. I'll make sure Reldon has a teddy bear @ the garden next year so when it's nap time Emmy will be set. Made me miss my sweet grand daughter, Marlee. She's 12 now and so grown up. My grandson is 16 and still has his stuffed 'Doggie'. He would not go to bed without it for like forever.

Sue D - Hope you do get to come visit yet this summer / fall. I love garden visitors.

Whitewater we really enjoyed visiting your gardens. I will enjoy the Angel Trumpet plant so much. Thank you so much for your kindness & generosity. I really love the hosta leaf stepping stone. I can't wait to get it out in the garden.

Thanx! everyone for a great time.
And thanx! again Reldon for letting me ride along.
And Roxanne you are a great hosta friend.

MM
dhaven

Post by dhaven »

Marlys--I'm the one who gave you the name. I've been saving it for one of my seedlings, but it was so perfect for your plant (given the situation) that I just had to suggest it. I'm tickled that you liked it enough to use it.

For those of you who weren't there, Marlys brought a beautiful, large multiple division blue seedling for the swap, one of her favorite Rascal seedlings as I recall. She got a bad case of sellers remorse after she potted it up, but brought it anyway, since she had promised that she would. Everyone drooled over it, and Marlys got more and more fidgety as the day wore on. By the time the swap finally started, she was practically having hosta withdrawal, and was nervous that someone else would take the plant. She had good cause to be nervous, too, since pretty much everyone there kept coming back to study the seedling. Fortunately, Marlys drew a low number and got one of the very early picks. When her number was called, she ran over to her seedling, got down and hugged it, then hauled it out of the line up. You should have seen the grin on her face! So her hosta went back home with her, and somehow the name seemed like a perfect fit.

For those of you who couldn't attend, you missed a real treat. Roxie's gardens are simply gorgeous, and it was such a pleasure to see many varieties that I've only seen in pictures. Her plants are very well grown and also well displayed, making it easy to appreciate their true beauty. She has well over 1000 different varieties, with lots of mature streakers and many hostas that are only rarely seen even in the largest collections. I added quite a number of varieties to my wish list, and there were plenty of other people walking around with paper and pencil, busily adding names to their lists too.
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Marlys - you could always call it 'Marlys' Boomerang' and if you don't have any room for it now, you could always have it be a guest plant in my new gardens. I'd make sure you got it back!!
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
jgh

Post by jgh »

My thought exactly, Reldon... I think it should be sent to Minnesota for a season, then boomerang back to Iowa... :wink:
Marlys

Post by Marlys »

Hey! Do you all remember that song "My Boomerang Won't Come Back"? :lol: I don't want to be singing it.

dhaven - Thanx! so much for all the fun and for telling the story so kindly and most of all for the giving the plant its name.

'Boomerang' is in that big pot Reldon so it would be easy for it to be a guest plant in your garden next year during the 2010 MWRC. I'll keep it over winter tho. I can put it in the ground somewhere in its pot for winter or put it in the potting shed. Mice seem to dig in the pots in there tho. jgh - are your gardens on the MN tour next summer during the AHS National Convention? I could bring it along for a guest appearance in your garden too. Oh - my I better get a bigger / better pot for traveling and such. :roll:

My daughter is coming over this evening to 'shop' for some hostas & free up some space around here.

Thanx! Everyone. You all are the best! Reldon & I were talking on the way home (he let me talk just a little). We are in agreement that even tho Roxanne's hostas were wonderful & the sun garden was so pretty- perfect (especially that red bee balm) it was the people that made the day such fun and such a good time.

MM
SUEDIA

Post by SUEDIA »

Marlys, I am so glad that you got to take Boomerang back home with you. I think it would be homesick if someone else had picked it in the swap. I just loved seeing that beautiful Rascal Seedling. It should make you very proud to be its owner. I am still in awe of your Rascal, I don't think mine will ever be that big.
Reldon, glad you are having the get-together next year, I just wanted to make sure you were NOT having it where you live now. :eek: Your neighbor doesn't sound hosta friendly. :lol:
I am still thinking of all the wonderful hosta's that Roxanne has.
Sue
SUEDIA

Post by SUEDIA »

I am a little late with my pictures, but it took me awhile to figure out how to load them. Again I want to thank Roxanne for such a wonderful day that will bring smiles to me for a long time.
Here is Marlys checking out one of Roxannes newest seedlings. It sure has character for such a young hosta.
Attachments
Marlys checking out seedling
Marlys checking out seedling
MARLYS.jpg (68.06 KiB) Viewed 730 times
Rod, Reldon, & Gary talking it over with Lois listening in
Rod, Reldon, & Gary talking it over with Lois listening in
Rod,Reldon & Gary.jpg (77.28 KiB) Viewed 730 times
SUEDIA

Post by SUEDIA »

A couple more pictures of Roxanne's wonderful hosta's.
Attachments
Hosta's only 4 years old.
Hosta's only 4 years old.
Roxanne's hosta's.jpg (81.54 KiB) Viewed 728 times
More hosta's and lots of hosta talking
More hosta's and lots of hosta talking
Goup Pic.jpg (83.34 KiB) Viewed 728 times
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Thanks for the nice pics, Sue. Mine are still on my camera. I noticed that Rod & Gary & I all have the same folded-arms-across-belly stance. :wink: :lol: :lol: That sure was a cool seedling Rox had that Marlys was cking out. Tons of corrugation on such a young, small-leaved plant.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Marlys

Post by Marlys »

Oh! - Sue what a good time we had!!!

Thanx!

That sdlg of Roxanne's is "sweet" / good enough to be named / registered / & in the trade. I really like it.

Reldon finally returned my camera, umbrella, & red hat today. I guess that listing I saw on Craig's List "Marlys' Stuff" didn't have any takers. LOL!!! It was hard being without my camera as the lilies have been beautiful and it was county fair week here. Lots of perfect picture opportunities.

MM
New Topic Post Reply