Anyone else have a ruffled Blue Mouse Ears?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Anyone else have a ruffled Blue Mouse Ears?

Post by Chris_W »

Okay, I don't have pictures yet, but out of over 200 Blue Mouse Ears I have now found 3 with ruffled/wavy edges. They all have a lighter green edge and the oldest one is showing some corrugation along the margin.

Since I've now found 3 of these in 3 different batches from 2 different seasons I have a feeling that it is not that uncommon.

Anyone else find one of these yet?
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Re: Anyone else have a ruffled Blue Mouse Ears?

Post by caliloo »

I haven;t seen one yet, but I would LOVE to see a pic of yours! Also - are you selling them? I would LOVE to add that one to my collection.
Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
jgh

Post by jgh »

I've had 75 pass through my hands... haven't seen that - but haven't been looking for it. i'll be watching more closely in the future. Please, pics when you have a chance...
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

I'd also love to see yours and to add it to my collection. BTW, have I shown you the smug cat that is overlooking my mouse collection (and a couple others)?
Mouse_Garden-2sx.jpg
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Wow, Chris.....I would love one, too..... :lol: :lol: .....it's little and I always look at my BME's here and adore it!! Sounds like a good one! :cool:
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

How different is it from Green Mouse Ears?
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Hi ViolaAnn, what is that gold ruffled item the cat is looking at? Also, what is on the far right in the container?
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

I didn't have quite enough mice to fill the container (yet). I'll remedy that next year, I hope. So, I added a Dragon - Dragon Tails - that's the gold one and on the far right is Country Mouse. Different family, I know, but still a mouse.

I have one other in that planter that doesn't really belong there - a new Rainbow's End that's too small to fend for itself anywhere else.

Chris, I'm still looking forward to seeing that RUFFLED Blue Mouse Ears. Oh, you're probably celebrating the holiday. We had our Canadian holiday last week and I sometimes forget about Memorial Day.

Ann
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
thy

Post by thy »

No, never heard about one...
But would love to have one :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

redcrx wrote:How different is it from Green Mouse Ears?
It is very different - Green Mouse Ears doesn't have a ruffled edge, nor variegation. So I have to wonder, do you have a Green Mouse Ears with ruffling too Ed? If so, you have a sport of that one as well.

Sorry, still haven't had a chance to get pictures. Yes, it is Memorial Day weekend, our busiest weekend of the year. Our last customer just left and we are now starting on this week's orders, so will be working well past midnight tonight. We are open until 9pm tonight, but probably won't see too much business now.

I potted these ruffled mouse ears up so I'll bring them up to my office and get a picture tonight.
caliloo

Post by caliloo »

Um.. Chris? Is there any way I can reserve one? If you are selling them, I would love to be on the list to get one since I was the 1st one to respond to this post! 8-) I can place my order online or call you tomorrow in the AM with my shipping info.

Alexa - the sport hound
- Henry D. Thoreau
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Alexa,

Sorry, I won't be selling them any time soon. I want to wait and see what each of them do, but wonder if this is a common occurrence. And about a dozen people already asked here at the nursery.

I might auction one off this summer at our summer get together (which reminds me we need to set a date!).
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Eagerly awaiting a photo!! Keep all the ones you can Chris, you can register and market them yourself when you get enough of them to keep going. I'd rather see them propigated than sold off to oblivion. :) (not that anyone here would let them die... ;) )
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
caliloo

Post by caliloo »

Can you maybe reserve 2? One to auction off at the get together and 1 for an online auction for those of us that can't make it to Michigan this summer?

Alexa
- Henry D. Thoreau
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I don't know if you would call it ruffled but the edge is not flat like other mouse versions.
Green Mouse Ears
Green Mouse Ears
Green Mouse Ears 090415b.JPG (37.19 KiB) Viewed 1870 times
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Chris - did you ever get a picture?
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the reminder!

Here are pictures of them. You can see how the margin is lighter than the center, plus the margin is getting some texture/quilting to it.

I'm pretty excited to see what they will do over time, however I have a feeling this is a very common mutation. But since ruffled edges don't often show up for a few years most nurseries probably don't notice it when they sell it.
Attachments
ruffledmouseears1.jpg
ruffledmouseears2.jpg
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I love it!!!!!!! :cool:
jgh

Post by jgh »

Having experienced a lot of disappointment when Baby Bunting went to Pandora's Box and then we got Hope and Cherish and Cameo... and I thought we'd gotten just a great family, but found that most of them don't grow worth a darn and I have little patches of struggling babies, year after year...

So although BME is growing well, I have held off on investing emotionally and monetarily in all the sports until I know they are also good growers... I will watch with interest to see how this develops... thanks!
sugar

Post by sugar »

jgh wrote:Having experienced a lot of disappointment when Baby Bunting went to Pandora's Box and then we got Hope and Cherish and Cameo... and I thought we'd gotten just a great family, but found that most of them don't grow worth a darn and I have little patches of struggling babies, year after year...
I think I found out how to grow them properly, except for my Hope which seems really hopeless. The others (Cherish, Cameo, Pandora's Box) have shown significant growth last year after changing caerfully their position. But I would never consider getting them out of a container, they lack the substance for the real world...
So although BME is growing well, I have held off on investing emotionally and monetarily in all the sports until I know they are also good growers... I will watch with interest to see how this develops... thanks!
I'm not sure the BME sports beat the original ( I have FME, RME, HME and C&M), but I guess they have more substance then the Baby Bunting sports. Only time will tell
New Topic Post Reply