Anyone else have a ruffled Blue Mouse Ears?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Re: Anyone else have a ruffled Blue Mouse Ears?

Post by redcrx »

Hi Chris, it looks like the leaf is thinner than a normal BME. Is that correct?

I posted a picture of Green Mouse Ears. Is that the way it should look? The library photos show a more flat leaf.

Oh, and when can we start ordering RBME (Ruffled BME)?
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I have both Baby Bunting and Cherish ....they have done great, and I have had the BB a number of years..... Cherish a few.....But Pandora's Box is gone. Don't have the others.

I still want RBME.... :lol:
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

This may be an odd question or remark but I thought the idea of the name "Mouse Ears" was because of the roundedness of the leaf. I'm seeing a lot of pointy little ears out there. I have noticed the first few leaves on BME are round but then it puts out pointed ones.
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Ed,

I'm sorry I forgot to talk about your green mouse ears. I wonder if it is just sending out a fast flush of foliage but will round out later. It just might be too young or early in the season to judge yet, but will probably normalize later. If not then you might have an oddity there too.

Most of my mouse ears are rounded, and my oldest clump definitely has some very round leaves. But a couple in this same batch where I found the ruffled ones are getting larger with more elongated, pointed leaves. These must also be mutants, so I have the feeling that BME is a very unstable plant.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Hmmm, maybe Vulcan Mouse ears? Or Elfin Mouse Ears.
Diana

Post by Diana »

Very intriging! Not just ruffling, but also those margins. Guard those carefully!

-Diana
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I picked up another Green Mouse Ears and it does have some rounded leaves - so lots of variations.
Attachments
Green Mouse Ears 09
Green Mouse Ears 09
Green Mouse Ears 09
Green Mouse Ears 09
Nata
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by Nata »

Very interesting find, Chris_W! :o
Especially blue with green edge ... I would like to have this in my garden. Looks like 'dancing mouse ears'. :)
GibbsCorner
USDA Zone: 3-4

Post by GibbsCorner »

Chris,

My BME has the pointy elongated leaves too. Last year I thought it had gotten confused by a late frost, but this year it is the same thing. When I got it (from you!) it looked perfectly normal. Is it possible the leaf shape in this case is affected by the growing conditions? It probably gets m ore sun than it would like (hot afternoon sun). I seem the recall hearing that hostas in more shade have rounder leaves, hostas in more sun get pointier leaves.

Matt
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Matt,

Yes, sometimes the amount of light can affect the leaf shape. I used to grow Fair Maiden in a lot of light and the leaves were smaller and more pointed. When I moved them into the shade they are definitely more rounded. I would try finding a little more shade for it, however, if you think the plant might be a little bit of a dud let me know and I can send another one.

And I'll have an update on the ruffled mouse ears very soon. ONE of them has done something totally unexpected that has thrown me off. Might even deserve a thread of its own :wow:
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Get out Chris..... :lol: ......and I didn't get to see them the other day, and I didn't get eggs and see the chickens..... :x
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Check out the latest twist on these sports. ONE of the 3 has purple striped flowers instead of lighter lavender. So when I thought that I had 3 of the same ruffled blue mouse ears sports, one of them turns out to not only have the ruffled edge genes but darker flower genes :wow:

Check it out here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51808
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

Hmmm, Chris ...
What ya planning on naming it ... Mouse Ruffled Pantaloons? ;)
Helen
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Helen,

Hey, we missed you last Saturday!

To be honest, we haven't decided what to name them yet as I'm still not sure if I have the same plants or possibly 2 different ones that look similar. If the one with the darker flower repeats that trait next year I will then consider naming that particular one. I have some ideas, but don't want to say them as I'm sure all of the mouse names will be snatched up quickly - there are tons of new sports coming out of Blue Mouse Ears in tissue culture :wow:

Lucygoose now has one of them - she won it at last Saturday's get together auction :)
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Chris_W wrote:Check out the latest twist on these sports. ONE of the 3 has purple striped flowers instead of lighter lavender. So when I thought that I had 3 of the same ruffled blue mouse ears sports, one of them turns out to not only have the ruffled edge genes but darker flower genes :wow:

Check it out here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51808
The one I won isn't this one, is it?? I do not think so..... :lol: I just stuck the tag you had in it in the ground! :beer: I love it! :wink: It is planted, but I have not loaded it here yet!
New Topic Post Reply