unstable Razor's Edge

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
jgh

unstable Razor's Edge

Post by jgh »

Anybody know what the heritage of Razor's Edge is... and if anybody has seen a "centered" sport? I've got some white centering/striping going on in one of mine...

(Kent - I guess you'd be the one to ask!)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: unstable Razor's Edge

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Jim,

You can view the info here: http://www.perennialnursery.com/catalog ... -edge.html

When I was at Walters last summer we found a streaked plant in the batch, which they kept of course, and I have one that came up this spring with a cream margin on half, which hopefully will produce a stable cream edged plant for me in the future. It seems to be a bit of an unstable little fellow.

Since it is a hybrid these are true sports. Not sure if Kent has these yet himself, as I'm sure Walters would give him first choice at any they find in culture (though obviously they missed yours ;) )
jgh

Post by jgh »

thanks, Chris - that's a nice catalog entry... should have started with your listing!

mine comes from a 2008 batch from a different source (not Walters) so it really is an unstable little bugger...

just checked it out... 2 of six eyes are showing white... one is tending toward centered, with one leaf mostly white center, the other has two leaves with streaks near the edge.
Kent

Post by Kent »

Hey.......Thanks for the info on 'The Razor's Edge' sporting. I haven't seen it sport and Walter's hasn't shared this bit of info with me :hmm:
Jim, good luck with your sport, it would be great to see a white centered version of this plant.

Kent
New Topic Post Reply