Careful What You Cull

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
scootersbear

Careful What You Cull

Post by scootersbear »

I kept this seedling because it had some wavy leaves but didn't expect much from it. Even last summer I thought about trashing it. Just wasn't impressed. Glad I didn't, it has good substance, size and nice waves, it just needed that jump year.
Attachments
hosta3 002.jpg
renaldo75

Re: Careful What You Cull

Post by renaldo75 »

Yes it did. Real nice. Do you know the parents?
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
jgh

Post by jgh »

nice plant...

and isn't that what makes culling seedlings such a crap shoot?! Some things just take years to show up. Example - I grew Reptillian from tc... if I didn't know better, it was a simple green hosta for several years, not showing that reptile-skin texture until about year five.
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

Very pretty hosta. I am glad that you didn't cull that one.
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

That is a nice-looking hosta. I have a bunch of seedlings that are 9 years old this year. Among them I've found a couple just this year that I wouldn't have looked at twice.
That's the tough thing about culling when you're growing solid colored hostas. YOu just never know what you're tossing into the garbage.
If I think about it too much, I end up going back down and hauling them out, so I just don't think about it!
On a similar note ,I have a couple trays leftover from last year. I pulled out the ones I wanted to keep, planted them, and then just left the trays sitting there, open to the cold winter. There are a huge number of the little darlings that made it through the winter, and some of them are growing like gangbusters...still in that original tray of seed starting mix. What do you want to bet I'll go out and pull a few more out of it before I compost them? :lol:
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
scootersbear

Post by scootersbear »

I didn't keep the parents info. I just didn't think much of it. It's just one of those hostas pic don't do justice to it. I didn't trash it because it was shading blue mouse ears (tree shade hadn't reached that area yet) It was going to be trashed this year but I'll keep it now.
fenceberry

Post by fenceberry »

That's a nice one, Scooter
New Topic Post Reply