Secret Trade Received!

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Seedseller1

Secret Trade Received!

Post by Seedseller1 »

Cheryl, I started this post earlier this afternoon but got interupted by visitors before I hit the submit button. doesn't matter who was first but sounds like we are both more than happy :D

Thought I'd start a new post for these. Am I the first?

I just received my trade from Linda P and couldn't be more pleased. Textbook packaged and they arrived in beautiful shape. I didn't expect anyone to send me half their garden :lol: :lol: but I recieved five (yes, count 'em, five) hostas that were not on my list. They included Little White Lines, Faithful Heart, Rosedale Golden Goose, Orange Marmalade, and High Kicker. Linda included a description of each along with a nice personal note and well wishes. She spanned the size range with these and I have an unfilled bed that will accomidate them all very nicely. There is no doubt that as I walk by them in the future I will alway think of Linda and the fine people here on Hallsons.

Thanks Linda from a very pleased Mike

I'm off to plant :beer: :beer:
maidofshade

Re: Secret Trade Received!

Post by maidofshade »

OK Mike
You won :lol: But right now Who Cares!! We are just the first couple of happy people who have gotten their boxes in the mail. Happy Planting :beer: Cheryl
maidofshade

Post by maidofshade »

PS You HAVE to read my post on the other secret trade post to see what beauties JaneG sent me. They are some AWESOME hostas! :wink:
Seedseller1

Post by Seedseller1 »

Cheryl, I wasn't tryiing to win! I read your other post before I edited mine and hit submit. Jane did a nice job for you also. Can't wait to hear what others receive and hope everybody is as happy as I/we are. I haven't participated in the trade the last couple of years even though I have met some very nice traders in the past by doing so. If you didn't get in, you don't know what you're missing!
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

That was fast work by the US Post Office! I brought them in to town at 3:00 yesterday afternoon! They weren't in the box even 24 hours!
Glad you like them, Mike. Grow them in good health!
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
steg
USDA Zone: 5

Post by steg »

THANKS WHAMADIDDLE!!!!! Package received in excellent condition. Ken sent 4 beautiful hostas (with some outstanding roots :eek: )

Lakeside Roy El
Azure Snow
Squire Rich
Minuteman

On top of that he included 4 awesome name plates - :D :D :D I usually let my kids open boxes so they helped a lot. My son picked one to open and be "his" - go figure he picked the biggest package and has now claimed Squire Rich to be his to take care of. My daughter picked Azure Snow because it had Snow in it and she likes Snow White, made sense to her (she's almost 3).

Thanks again Ken.

Mike
:beer:
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
whamadiddle

Post by whamadiddle »

Hi Mike -

Glad they made it there quickly and in one piece. The cool weather was my motivation to get them out quickly. It always seems to be hot this time of year.

It is nice to see that you have your kids involved. We need some more youth joining the ranks of hostaholic!

Enjoy!

Ken
Ken
FreakyCola

Post by FreakyCola »

Doing the Happy Happy Happy Hosta Dance! Wish you could see me, well, no I guess I really don't wish that! :oops:
First off I'm so happy I have such nice friends who made extra efforts to get me involved this year!

But then, I really lucked out & got Mikky as my secret trader. Mikky sent me 4 super duper hostas and a Sedum "Frosty Morn." It's very pretty, with white edges and will go great in my black & white bed. OK, so I know you've all been waiting with baited breath for the hosta part, so here goes!

Three of the 4 are ones I don't have. This was very hard for Mikky since I had not updated my list in a year. I thought I was hurrying & got it updated yesterday then today I received my box. I totally expected to get something I already had so I was very surprised. You did a great job Mikky!

First is Showboat. This is a very pretty hosta!

Next is Riptide, which has red petioles. It's pretty cool too!

Next Olympic Sunrise. I've never heard of this one. It's always fun to get one you've never heard of. They seem to be the best for me, since in the past they were ones I wouldn't have bought for myself, (well, how could I? I hadn't heard of them yet!) then as time went on I really began enjoying them. This one is really pretty and has 4 eyes!

Last is one of my favorites so I'm glad she sent this one-Ginsu Knife. This one is bigger than the one I have! I'll plant this right where I park so I'll see it every day!

All of the plants were wrapped nicely and have great roots. How did you get them so clean Mikky? There isn't a speck of dirt on any of them & they're all so white. Did you bleach them?

Thank you so much Mikky. I just love my new babies!
And I love your web site. Next time, how about sending me some of those ruffled babies you have? Hint hint hint!
Ellen
Thanks to Brian for organizing the trade.
grdnnkd

Post by grdnnkd »

I'm next, my box arrived last night, but I didn't see it until this morning. :o

I'd really like to know what Mike (seedseller1) does to grow such monsters. Two of the plants Mike sent were huge, taller than my 2.5 year old and the leaves about half of her body size!! The other thing that i am still trying to figure out is how they fit into the box.

All three that Mike sent are new to me. I received:

One Man's Treasure - It was on my wishlist, anything I don't have is really on my wish list :lol:
Lakeside Ring Master - beautiful plant.
Lakeside Surf Rider - This one looks like it'll be the real monster!!

I've got them soaking right now, hopefully they get in in the morning.

Thanks alot Mike.

Brian
grdnnkd's Hosta List
Latitude: 46° 78' N; Longitude: -92° 12' W
Seedseller1

Post by Seedseller1 »

Enjoy Brian!

Glad they arrived in one piece. I hope you found my enclosed note stating that the Lakesides may need to be staked until the roots take hold. I wouldn't have sent them if I didn't think there was enough roots but they looked small compared to the plants. I thought it may give you a chuckle to receive some that size since you just posted the day before I sent them on how slow things were emerging in your area :lol: :lol: Give that Surfrider plenty of room, it's one of the favorites here and really grows well once established.
Mikky
USDA Zone: 6

Post by Mikky »

Hi FreakyCola,

I am so glad that you were happy with my selection. No, it was not easy to decide which hosta would make you smile based a year old list. This is what I did. First, I chose hostas that I'd be able to share and you didn't have. Then I crossed off the names you might have acquired after you made your list (my guess work!), and came up with the hostas I sent to you. I saw the name 'Ginsu Knife' in your new and updated list yesterday, and I thought to myself, "Darn! I didn't hit 100%!" :lol: 'Ginsu Knife' is such a beautiful hosta and it's a "must" for a collector like you. I should have known! But 75% wasn't bad, was it?

Thanks for your nice words about my web site. I'd love to share some of my hosta seedlings if you or anyone are interested. Also I don't have names on any seedlings. Anybody, any nice names to recommend for my babies? :D

Mikky
My website: Giboshi arekore
SUEDIA

Post by SUEDIA »

Will I must be next in line for package received. Marjery made my day by sending me a couple that I didn't even know the names of and I do alot of reading hosta lists this time of year. Anyway they arrived in wonderful shape, packed so well and looking just great. The names are Blue Blush, Lakeside Blue Cherub, Paradise Sunset and Geisha which had died for me and I was thinking of trying it again. THANK YOU!!! MARGERY :cool: :D I am so happy. I put them in a vase and enjoyed them on my desk all day at work. Better than receiving flowers from DH, but don't tell him that. :lol: Anyway I am off to the hosta library to check them out. This is so much fun to be in the secret trades. Now I am going shopping this weekend to get some new ones for me and my secret tradee. I am really doing my homework to make this special for my name that I have to send to.
Thanks also to Brian for going to all the work of putting this together. Great Job!!
Take Care,
Sue
Margery

Post by Margery »

I'm so glad you like what i sent! Your wish list mentioned blues so I checked for a couple unusual ones to send. I hope they grow well for you!
steg

Post by steg »

off to the post office........ :D :D :D
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
BytheLake

Post by BytheLake »

Package sent out today - :cool:

Hope my secret trader likes what I sent them. I used an older hosta list I found posted. . .

Ann (BytheLake)
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

I am headed to the PO in 5 minutes! :lol: Package heading west!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
JJR

Post by JJR »

I've been quite busy and have not been online very much after I get home from work... I came home last Wednesday, not really paying attention as I opened the door and almost tripped over the box that was sitting inside the breezeway. I was quite excited to see six hosta inside that are all new to my garden. Lori (hostasandpapillons) sent me:

Cinnamon Sticks (I have wanted this one for a long time...)
Toy Soldier
Golden Gate
Lil Abner
Mountain FOg
Hacksaw

Thank you very much!!!

Jon
Willowy

Post by Willowy »

I want to thank John – my secret trader. He sent a wonderful package chock-a-block full of hosta. It was so much fun unwrapping the individually wrapped plants to discover which plants were inside. John most generously sent 6 hostas from my wish list, including Sea Wiggles, Radiant Edger, August Moon, Kikutii Kifukirin, St. Elmo's Fire and Lemon Drop. The hosta were all in beautiful condition and are already planted and settling in happily in their new home. Thank you John. I love the plants you chose and will enjoy each and every one of them!
a.k.a. hostabuff
My Hosta List & My Blog
John

Post by John »

Hi Willowy, so glad they arrived in good condition, and that you like them. I hope you will enjoy growing them. I was happy to find a few that were on your wish-list, as you have quite a nice collection! John
DBoweMD

Post by DBoweMD »

I'm taking my box to the post office today.
New Topic Post Reply