Hosta and Wisteria

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Myro

Hosta and Wisteria

Post by Myro »

Hi,
I have one small bed with hostas. Because its in full sun almost whole day I have planted wisteria floribunda rosea in that bed to make trellis for shade. Now it looks like hostas in vicinity of wisteria not progress like hostas few feet further. I presume that roots of hostas can't compete with very strong and invasive roots of wisteria. I have drip irrigation system but it seems not helping too much. Is anybody have experience like it by planting hostas under wisteria?
Attachments
Hostas-Wisteria-2.jpg
...Spring flowers,autumn moon,
summer breeze,winter snow
-
When the MIND is free
From unnecessary thoughts
Every season is just PERFECT
DBoweMD

Re: Hosta and Wisteria

Post by DBoweMD »

I have done it, I think the roots are not a problem. The Wisteria roots are really deep. when you dig up a hosta, you can tell if there is root invasion.
I had root invasion from euonymus (Burning bush) but not from Wisteria, as far as I could tell. I never got the wisteria to bloom though.
It may be that the ones away from it get more sun so they grow faster.
Seedseller1

Re: Hosta and Wisteria

Post by Seedseller1 »

I agree with Dave, although I don't have any experience with growing the two together. I would think that the drip irrigation would minimize the effects of root competition regardless of the source.

Your idea sounds and looks appealing, Myro.
New Topic Post Reply