Some new plants

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
sugar

Some new plants

Post by sugar »

I've purchased quite some plants over the last weeks... I was going to stop adding plants to my collection but :bd:

All pictures are clickable thumbnails in order to get a larger image...

Ivory Necklace
This one caught my eye instantly. The pure white margin contrasts very well with the dark, green corrugated center

Goober
I wante to add a plant with lots of corrugation, but not too big ...

Eye Catcher
I also wanted a not to large yellow with corrugation and OK substance, to replace my Fried Bananas, that is too large
Last edited by sugar on Jun 06, 2009 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sugar

Re: Some new plants

Post by sugar »

Some more

Prairie Moon
Vivid yellow with reddish petioles and a pointed leaf shape, this one is a great plant

Pamela Lee

A 'Radiant-Edger' sport, it was a well-appreciated gift plant...

Funkey Monkey
Green leaf become yellowish green and yellow afterwards, leafs are held upright so the very dark petioles are really shown

sugar

Post by sugar »

Borocay
A very nice 'Captain Kirk' sport, with seasonal colour change (you see some variation on the different leafs) .

Awakening Angel...

A blue Mikawa-No-Yuki hybrid...

Half and Half...
A nice 'Lakeside Cupcake' sport

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Some nice leaf shots :)

Be warned, Ivory Necklace is a very vigorous grower that can get fairly wide, fairly quickly. I really like the corrugation plus how it stands upright.

Pamela Lee is pretty much the exact same sport that we got from Radiant Edger via Radiant Star. It hasn't been officially registered yet, but here is a very old picture of it along with Radiant Star:

That Captain Kirk sport is pretty wild, but I would be worried that it would burn with that light coloring. Hopefully it performs well for you.

Thanks for sharing!

Chris
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Some very nice new hostas there!! I hadn't heard of 1/2 of them. I sure liked the leaf shape of Awakening Angel. Does it stay that shape as it matures?
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
sugar

Post by sugar »

Chris_W wrote:Some nice leaf shots :)

Be warned, Ivory Necklace is a very vigorous grower that can get fairly wide, fairly quickly. I really like the corrugation plus how it stands upright.
It's in a container so that shouldnot be a problem . It is indeed the combination of corrugation, the upright mound and the long petioles that make this plant very nice.
Chris_W wrote:

That Captain Kirk sport is pretty wild, but I would be worried that it would burn with that light coloring. Hopefully it performs well for you.

Thanks for sharing!

Chris
It is standing in full sun over here (in a tray of water), no burn marks after a month . It should look like this later this year http://www.hostaworld.nl/Boracay.html
Last edited by sugar on Jun 07, 2009 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
sugar

Post by sugar »

renaldo75 wrote:Some very nice new hostas there!! I hadn't heard of 1/2 of them. I sure liked the leaf shape of Awakening Angel. Does it stay that shape as it matures?
Yup, it's a Mikawa-no-Yuki hybrid, and has the same wedge shaped leaf shape. That was the reason why I bought this plant
sugar

Post by sugar »

Small update
Borocay is taking a lot of sun over here. Instead of turning white it starts to colour up, becoming yellow, with a clearly visible 'watermark' in it.
No sun burn up to now...

thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Bad, bad boy

You know you do not have space left :???:

Eye Catcher and Goober are lovely, too lovely yo resist ... but looking up Goober at the HL I would never have bought it ... please add your pic, it is so cute :wink:

Better not tell whats is filling up my car right now... :oops:

You know in the dark winther times I ordered some lillies

So had to pick them up and the new heavy brick from Mark Zillis... NO vein pairs :( and my friends sell hostas.. no way I am going to tell you :lol:

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply