Some small "blues"

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Some small "blues"

Post by redcrx »

Thought I would post some of my "blue" hosta and a Blue Striptease that's looking nice.
Attachments
Dry Ice 2009
Dry Ice 2009
Halcyon 2009
Halcyon 2009
Blue Diamond 2009
Blue Diamond 2009
Blue Mouse Ears 2009
Blue Mouse Ears 2009
Blue Striptease 2009
Blue Striptease 2009
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
newtohosta-no more

Re: Some small "blues"

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Nice ! I love the blue ones. :)
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

Good pics. I have not heard of dry ice. I will have to research that one.
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

I noticed it on the hosta sports page and then found pictures at 2 growers in Canada. Finally found a grower down here and ordered a couple. I have one of them sitting next to Blue Diamond.

I had a topic "Blue sports of Striptease" that talked about it late in the post.
http://www.perennialnursery.com/forums/ ... ce#p446301

I don't have many blues but they really stand out in the sea of various shades of green that I have.
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Got a few pictures of a few other "blues". Some are not that small. I didn't realize Elegans is considered blue, mine is more green.
Elegans 2009
Elegans 2009
Krossa Regal 2009 (some frost damage on the edge)
Krossa Regal 2009 (some frost damage on the edge)
Hadspen Blue 2009
Hadspen Blue 2009
I know it's not "blue" but it is sitting right next to Hadspen Blue and looking nice.
Sun Power 2009
Sun Power 2009
Blue Cadet 2009
Blue Cadet 2009
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Um.......... I'm not even sure I should mention this, but I don't think your Blue Mouse Ears is BME. It looks way too pointy, my BME has really round leaves. I am not sure your elegans is correct either - mine is more blue and more crinkley. Sunpower is definitely not a blue, but that is a lovely specimen regardeless. And Blue Cadet should be more blue even this time of year... I think.

I am not trying to be mean about this, but how sure sre you about the names?

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

No, you are correct - they don't look right. I'm going by the names on the pots when I bought them.
Sometimes I can tell an obvious mistake - a Fragrant Bouquet labeled Fragrant Blue is one I ran into. The Blue Cadet looks odd also. I have a second one that's smaller - I'll compare it (or else I messed up the label of the photo).

The Mouse Ears point is interesting. There is another thread where I was discussing pointy ears on many of the "Mouse" type. I have bought a bunch of them and many have pointed ears. I don't know the reason. I posted pictures of pointy Green Mouse Ears and just received another one that has rounded ears. I got a BME from Chris which has rounded ears.
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

I just got BME from Chris and have been wanting it for... well, forever it seems. One of the things I love about it is the rounded leaves, so similar in shape to mouse ears. It is cute as a bug's ear! Now, what shape would THAT be??
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Took some better pictures this morning of Elegans and Blue Cadet in my garden. It looks like mine lose the "blue" coloration in my environment. Some of the leaves still have a faint blue tinge but are mostly just green. Here are today's close-up of Elegans.
Elegans in the center 2009
Elegans in the center 2009
Elegans 2009 with remaining blue tinge
Elegans 2009 with remaining blue tinge
Elegans 2009
Elegans 2009
Elegans 2009 with crinkles
Elegans 2009 with crinkles
Interesting how Blue Diamonds holds the blue color while Elegans doesn't and they are near each other.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Here are some "better" pictures of Blue Cadet. Again, it does not hold its blue color. And here are both of mine. Another difference with the photos is the first set were taken with the leaves being wet. While this makes the streaky leaves look good, it blurs the blue coloration in this type.
Blue Cadet 2009 #1
Blue Cadet 2009 #1
Blue Cadet 2009 #1
Blue Cadet 2009 #1
Blue Cadet 2009 #2
Blue Cadet 2009 #2
Blue Cadet 2009 #2
Blue Cadet 2009 #2
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Ed, Elegans and Blue Cadet are a couple that don't keep the blue as long in my garden either. Some years Elegans stays blue much longer, other years it's more blue-green.
Blue Cadet is near Halcyon in the chickenyard, and there's no comparison...Halcyon is really blue, and Blue Cadet looks green next to it. If you cover Halcyon, and look across Blue Cadet to the Squash Casserole on the other side, BC looks blue again!
Right now, in a hosta garden loaded with blues, there is nothing as blue as Skylight.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Thanks, I may try to find some Skylight.
New Topic Post Reply