Hallson Get Together!

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Locked Locked

Which weekend works better for you to attend the Hallson Summer Get Together?

Saturday, July 18th
13%
Saturday, July 25th
55%
Saturday, August 1st
32%

Total votes: 31

LucyGoose

Hallson Get Together!

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi Everyone!

Okay, when can everyone come? :lol: My step-daughter is getting married the first week in august, so that is totally out for us.....We have done it in the past the last weekend in July because of the races.....Chris, you will have to let us know on the dates for those again......The only weekend that we could come would be the 25th & 26th of July......Jay and I have said this might be my first year of not being able to come..... :cry: .....So, I am throwing this out there to see how many are free for what weekend...... :wink:

EDIT: I created a poll to pick your top TWO weekend choices. In one week I will then narrow it down to just 2 weekends and we will vote on the best day.
WaterlooLily

Re: Hallson Get Together!

Post by WaterlooLily »

I think my friends and I was out there last year when this was going on. What is it all about?
steg
USDA Zone: 5

Post by steg »

Steph and I haven't made it there yet. We're hoping this year will be the year. We'll see when a date gets settled.

WaterlooLily - I'll let some others who have made it explain/talk about it. I just know everyone has a blast!
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

There are races going on right now (this weekend) and the only other race weekend is Aug. 14th, 15th, 16th. So options would include the last Saturday in July (July 25th) or the first Saturday in August (August 1st). We would also consider the 2nd to last Saturday in July (July 18th).

And Waterloolily, the get together is a chance for everyone here on the forum to put a face to the name, and we really do have a fun time. Many arrive the night before, then on Saturday we gather in the morning around 10am, we serve lunch around noon to 1, followed by a hosta trade and plant auction, and sometimes there are slide shows. This year I want to get together pictures of all the past get togethers. Was the first one in 2002 or 2003? - to put together a slide show of the events.

Usually there is so much food and drink left over that we then have dinner Saturday night, and the party keeps going into the night.

It really is a fun time, and as they say, the more the merrier :bd:

I will start a poll to let people vote on which weekend is better. Then I'll take the top 2 picks and we will choose between those two.
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Hey everyone,

I created a poll at the top. Please pick your top TWO weekend choices. If you can only make it to one of them, then just pick one. We'll have a runoff vote later to choose the favorite.

Let's get this thing going :D

Chris
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:beer:
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

The Iowa and Illinois folks have a get-together planned at Roxanne's on the 18th, so that is out for those of us attending that gathering.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Wanda

Post by Wanda »

OK, Kathleen...I voted for the 25th, since I can't imagine the get together without you! I am really, really hoping I can make it this year. I haven't missed one yet, but MIL is taking pretty much all my time now. We finally got her condo in Plymouth up for sale last month (anybody want to buy a real nice condo at a fire sale price?). As soon as it sells, she will have to go into a nursing home...I am plain worn out.

Sure hope I can make it - I need a break. My hosta are finally BIG but I don't even have them all weeded yet...just not enough hours in the day. Won't even get to plant some veggies until next weekend...been busy planting an orchard and a berry patch. With the economy looking so grim long-term, bought 5 apple trees, 2 pears, 2 sweet cherries, 2 peaches, 6 red raspberry, 6 black raspberry, 3 purple raspberry, 11 blackberry, 7 blueberry, 2 cranberry and 3 seedless green grapes. Just about have that project done.

Looking forward to seeing all the regulars and meeting some new friends...

We are going to have the baked spaghetti again, aren't we? I love that stuff...and its tradition, now!

wanda
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Well, I swear, as we get older, more stuff is on the calendar! :lol: Those other 2 dates are our weekends to work.....and with the way the mill is now a days, well, we work.... :lol: And with the weeding, which is up in Michigan, in Troy, that is the only date that will work for us. I did say to Jay that this might be the first for us to miss.....You all would do fine without me.... :lol: ....Think I will bring the carrot dish for Brian..... :roll: ... :o ... :lol:
Lessadragon
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by Lessadragon »

I'm sitting here in denial. I wanted to go to the convention this year. Took the time off and everything. Now I can't go. :( Looks like we won't be able to go to Hallson's this year either. :( I sure hope another Canadian will be able to take our place. I am so bummed! Anyone who can make it that hasn't gone before should go. It is a lot of fun. Chris and Brian are the best hosts ever! And Hallson members are the nicest folks. It's so nice to meet up with people that you talk to here.

Lynn
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

I sure would like to come If I can figure out how to get up there! I could drive, but I would rather fly, much faster!

Ginger
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
ladyblue
USDA Zone: 5B

Post by ladyblue »

I voted for July 25th as we can't meet without LucyGoose!!
I'm looking forward to seeing everyone.
I'm sorry Lynn can't make it. Lynn we will miss you!
Wanda we need you too! Hope you can make it.
Anyone nearby,come and meet other Hosta lovers and have a fun day!
If you haven't been to Hallson Gardens you need to see it and also meet Chris and Brian.
See you at Hallson"s!
Bonnie
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Sounds like soooooo much fun!!!! I hope I get to come someday.

Hope everyone has a safe trip and a great time!!!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Anyone else care to add their input to which day to have this?

Or if there are better days to do this, like closer to Labor Day, please chime in. We are pretty flexible around the race schedule.

It really is a fun day here. :)
steg

Post by steg »

Any more thoughts on a date? I know everyone is busy these days, I'm just curious as I'd really like to make it up there this time.
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

July 25 for Gary and I
...Helen
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

From the responses it looks to be fairly overwhelming that July 25th should be the day. I'll start a new topic/new poll to see if that is agreeable.

Thanks for the input!

Chris
Locked Locked