strange blue hosta

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
dusky
USDA Zone: 5

strange blue hosta

Post by dusky »

Hi, I'm new to this board, I found it by looking for a answer to this problem hosta. I think it's blue boy,(big).This is a baby about 2 or 3 years old, from one I own,the mother is fine, in fact her other babys are fine. This year instead of having the usual big blue round leaves it has more lance shaped and twisted leathery thick leaves (all season). It's about to bloom, not sure how these will be. The coloring seems to be ok, just all small and misshapen plant. Also I bought all the wrong suspect types of hostas and from the wrong places this year for a new bed. S&S, June, Paitriot. Just learned about the virus too! This blue is not in the new bed.Thanks for a reply in advance. dusky
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: strange blue hosta

Post by Chris_W »

Welcome Dusky,

It sounds like maybe it was damaged over the winter or some time this spring. Is it possible that the crown and roots are exposed? If so, they might have been damaged or dried out over the winter, or might have been hit by frost this spring. If the eyes are exposed an early sprign freeze can make the outer parts of the eyes shrink and then bind up or damage all of the leaf layers inside before it unfurls. The same could happen if the eyes were stepped on before they opened up.

Another possibility is chemical/herbicide damage.

If it is managing to bloom I bet that it will recover later. If the roots are exposed I would topdress them with some soil now, then put some mulch around it in the fall.

It doesn't really sound like a virus problem, but be sure to review the HVX forum to learn more about it, what to watch for, and how to clean your hands and tools to prevent spreading it just in case you have it around.

Hope that helps a little.

Chris
New Topic Post Reply