Hosta Visitors

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
SUEDIA

Hosta Visitors

Post by SUEDIA »

I had the pleasure of Connie, Marlys & Jackie N. stopping by on their road trip to see my hostas. It was great timing as I have been on vacation this week and the neighbor volunteered to help me weed my big hosta bed.This has been one of the best stay at home vacations. Being out in the hosta's and finding such big one's and the seedlings are really cute. I was so ashamed of it before because I had let it really become a weedy mess :eek: as I could not do much last year with my knees being so bad. So I am happy to say that I handled being out weeding & mulching with my younger neighbor pretty well. Boy it sure has been hot but the girls really thought my hosta's were doing very well. That is quite a honor coming from these 3 that have so many more hosta's than I do. Their yards are what hosta heaven would look like. Anyway it was perfect timing to see how big my old hosta's had become. I am sure Marlys will post some kind of picture. :lol:
Sue
renaldo75

Re: Hosta Visitors

Post by renaldo75 »

Sounds like a nice visit, Sue. I hope you kept Marlys in line!! ;)
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

The only problem with the garden visits is that they end all to soon.
Glad you had a good time...and also glad to hear that you were able to
handle the weeding!
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

It is so fun having visitors like that, but I agree, no matter how long they last they always seem to end too quickly :|
SUEDIA

Post by SUEDIA »

Yes, you sure are right about the visit ending too soon. I just love to learn what my NOID ones are so I can tag them. Then I want to get rid of the virused ones, and I have 2 for sure and 1 maybe. One is gone and rocks are used for the RIP. Will work on the big Captain Kirk on Sunday. It was a great learning experience. It just doesn't last long enough. Reldon, Marlys was tired and it was so hot & humid, so she was well behaved, but she did talk about a certain picture that Connie took :lol: We finished putting down mulch on the old bed so it is looking pretty good. I will try to get some pictures of it tomorrow and try to post them. We put down #50 3 cubic foot bags of cyprus mulch, sure hope it smothers the weeds and lamium that we missed.
Sue
ConnieD

Post by ConnieD »

Sue,
Your hostas were beautiful and I don't know why you think we have so many more as I thought you had a lot of hostas that I don't have. You have so many HUGE ones from that special fertilizer. :lol:
Thanks for taking the time out of your busy day to show us the gardens.
ConnieD
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Post by Marlys »

Sue -

Don't go telling people I'm well behaved :!: You'll ruin my reputation :roll:

So enjoyed our visit with you & your hostas. Connie & I had a good road trip. Got home before midnight but not much. We stopped on I-80 @ 'Iowa's Best Burger' restaurant about 9:30 PM. It certainly was not the best burger in the state but it was ok. Jackie wanted to feed us before we headed home but we were still stuffed from the 'little' lunch she fixed for us. Her little lunch was like a fancy banquet fit for royalty. Jackie is one talented lady.

Sue - your plants are wonderful. I bet it looks all beautiful with the new mulch. I can't seem to resize pictures to fit here on the forum any more. I'll send them to Reldon to post for us now that he's home from the national hosta convention.

No new hostas on a road trip :?: What's the deal :?: Still Connie had the van stuffed full of wonderful plants. I have no idea where she is going to find space for them all. Our first stop of the day was a greenhouse enroute to Jackie's. I picked up 2 cleamtis for Jackie and one for me that I have no idea where I can find space to plant it. :lol: Bought 2 Candy Corn plants that will go into a pot. There are way too many container grown plants around here now that it is not raining every day or every other day. I spent over an hour watering tonight.

Before Sue's house we 3 drove to Grinnell to check out a lady that sells hostas we had heard about. If any of you folks are ever near Grinnell, IA / out on the west end of town @ the end of 4th Avenue, a gal - Jodi Allen has a perfect little backyard nursery. I love back yard nurseries the best. She sells hostas & day lilies & a small assortment of other perennial plants & voodoo lilies. I bought a vodoo lily. It is so KOOL :wink: And I certainly did not have to pay 'Plant's Delight' prices. In fact her prices are so low I wanted to pay her extra. The asiatic lilies were in bloom & just perfect. All 3 of us ladies bought a red one named 'American Revolution'. It is really red and really perfect. The flowers are so huge & so perfect they don't even look real. Exciting!!! :P Connie pretty much filled up her van at this second stop. It sure smelled sweet in there. :D

Good Day :!: Would have been great if it the temperature & the humidity weren't both in the 90-s :eek: I took a long shower when I finally got home.

Thanx! Sue.

MM
SUEDIA

Post by SUEDIA »

Marlys, sounds like a nice place in Grinnell to visit for plants. I have not heard of her before. It was just to hot and humid for you to misbehave. At least you told a few good stories for us to laugh about. It was wonderful of you to stop by.
Take Care,
Sue
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Sounds like a good time was had by all of you. Whether Marlys mis-behaved or not. ;)

Marlys, I got the pics last evening. Haven't had time to do anything with them yet, but I will now that I know that I'm supposed to.

And you'll have to give me more info about the place in Grinnell. I was just by there Mon evening... And that's where our new hosta buddies are from too.
Do you have any way of contacting the Innises?? I didn't even get an email address for them when we were in Champaign.
Maybe we can get them over to Roxanne's if they're at the ROHS tour/auction the weekend before.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Marlys

Post by Marlys »

Yes, Reldon - please post the SUEDIA pictures.

Ricky & Teresa live just a few miles north of Grinnell in a tiny farm town that really doesn't exsist anymore - Newburg. I can look in the phone book for their number. You know Ricky & I were neighbors growing up & Teresa's younger sister was in my homeroom all through jr high / high school in Grinnell. Nice people. I hadn't seen Ricky for like 40 years and then we were reunited through hostas at a national hosta convention. :wink: What fun :!: Just proves again - "Hosta is the friendship plant".

MM
http://www.marlysgardens.com
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Well you hadn't said a word of all that to me when we were in Champaign. LOL Pretty neat though!! :)

I'll see if I can find them thru that. I know neither of them seemed to be online much from what they said.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

Here are the pics. Apparently Sue talks with her hands. I've met her several times, but honestly didn't realize that until I saw these pics. :wink:

And here are Sue's 3 visitors - Marlys, Connie, & Jackie.

GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
SUEDIA

Post by SUEDIA »

Reldon, yes I talk with my hands ALOT :lol: , I was really trying to get some air to move as it was so hot and humid that night. I sure like the last picture the best. Marlys, I didn't know you took so many pictures of ME :eek: I am surprised your camera still works after those pictures.
It was a great time.
Sue
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Sue, your hostas look great! You're looking good yourself..so glad you got that ordeal of the knee replacements over with.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
Marlys

Post by Marlys »

Thanx! Reldon for posting my pictures.
Sue is such a 'talker'. We talk - 'hosta'!!!
It is so fun to be with folks that all speak Hosta language.
And you do hear, "My Great Expectations is bigger than yours".
Hosta Friends are just the Best!!!

I am looking forward to seeing more hosta friends @ Roxanne's Hallson reunion real soon too.
I'm still hoping to be off work so I can be there.

And June 12th is our ROHS summer mtg / tour / plant auction too. I am off work for that for sure.

Thanx! again, Sue for a fun visit.
Come our way one of these days again too.

MM
New Topic Post Reply