Date for the Hallson Summer Get Together!

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Does July 25th work for you for the Hallson Summer Get Together?

Poll ended at Jul 08, 2009 9:40 pm

Yes, that works great!
90%
No, I can't make it then and would prefer a different time.
10%

Total votes: 10

LucyGoose

Re: Date for the Hallson Summer Get Together!

Post by LucyGoose »

Lucy waving at Brian!!!

I can do the hosta leaves.....in fact, I can't wait for that!! Hugs my good old friend!!! :beer:
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

steg.. I have always stayed at the Claddagh B & B. It's a lovely place and very close to Hallsons, so it's convenient. They always did a fantastic breakfast on the weekends. I know the owner was planning on selling the B&B when I was there last year, but I don't know if that has taken place yet. Her name was Debbie. If she's still running the place , tell her that my daughter and I say hello. She knows we come up there once a year for this get-together at Hallsons...although last year my DD couldn't come with me , so DH came instead. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
morgansrgr8
USDA Zone: 5

Post by morgansrgr8 »

LucyGoose wrote:Pretty sure we will be going......looking at doggy day care now.... :lol: This next 2 months are killers.....With DH's DD getting married and all....so is there a list of who IS coming for sure?
I know what your going through. My DD is getting married on Sunday and the week after that I have the grandkids. Toms DD just had us another Grandson (Toms first). It was kind of touchy for awhile, she was having alot of problems but it all worked out ok. Then my garden just started busting at the seams. Canning season has officially started. LOL We should be able to make it if we find someone to take care of my critters. Now who in their right mind would take care of 100 bunnies and 2 dozen chickens for me. HMMMMMMMM. I suppose if I gave them the eggs for the day and help themselves to my garden they might. The corn might not be ready but there will be beans tomatoes squash lettuce radishes and possibly beets and onions. Think I might be able to tempt someone. LOL

Linda
Linda
I know I am past the point of no return but what a way to go.

My Hosta List
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

steg wrote:Any recommendations on places to stay nearby?

Anyone stay at the Claddagh B & B???
We stayed at the Claddagh last year. It was very nice, and VERY quiet! The owners daughter evidently was there over night, but we never saw her. We were the only guests for most of the time, so had the whole house to ourselves. The owner came over on Saturday morning to fix breakfast, but they no longer live there.
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

Hmmm....hadn't thought about camping! We may be able to make it after all.
Chris, do you know anything about the Irish Hills resort Kampground on US-12?
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Denise,

I really don't know much about the campgrounds around here. I know some are only open for race weekends, but a few operate all summer. You might try searching online and calling, and if you want me to check one out just let me know.

The B&Bs, I think, are a really good choice. There is the Brickhouse of Somerset just around the corner (less than 2 miles away - call (517)547-5885), and the Claddagh Inn is about 6 miles to the north.
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

Chris_W wrote:Hi Denise,

I really don't know much about the campgrounds around here. I know some are only open for race weekends, but a few operate all summer. You might try searching online and calling, and if you want me to check one out just let me know.

The B&Bs, I think, are a really good choice. There is the Brickhouse of Somerset just around the corner (less than 2 miles away - call (517)547-5885), and the Claddagh Inn is about 6 miles to the north.
The Claddagh was very nice last year, but DH is laid off, so things are a bit tighter this year. I think we are going to try to find a campground, and join the fun!
nmb

Post by nmb »

my only problem is fighting the mosquitos to get plants for the swap and auction.....

anybody know a good way to get rid of them, i have NO idea where they come from, no standing water etc

mary
spencer1400

Post by spencer1400 »

Brain,

My DH has says that he will come with me. I have never been to one of these summer get togethers, so am really excited about coming. I am already thinking of which hostas to bring for the trade and for the auction. I have been wanting some of the hosta leaves for my garden. I will be anxious to see how you made them, from a mold or free form around a leaf. Put us down for 2 and we will see you on the 25th.

Jane Spencer :D
steg

Post by steg »

Chris_W wrote: The B&Bs, I think, are a really good choice. There is the Brickhouse of Somerset just around the corner (less than 2 miles away - call (517)547-5885), and the Claddagh Inn is about 6 miles to the north.
The Claddagh was booked when I called the other day, but the Brickhouse had rooms....
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

We are not coming :( , but for a good reason....
They are FINALLY starting to build DS's house next week .:bd: DH is doing all of the electrical, so he is going to be busy setting up temporary service.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Durn Denise...... :(

Chris.....what is the head count now?
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Sorry you can't make it Denise. Wayne and Barb called me and they can't make it either (they were here last year, and Barb pops in on the forum from time to time) because Wayne's Mom is having heart bypass surgery (please wish them well), and Lynn and Art said they can't make it this year :(

So it looks like maybe Mike and Stephanie (Steg), Lucygoose and Jay, Linda and Tom (we will clear a camping spot for you :) ), Wanda I think, Ladyblue (hope you can make it again Bonnie), Jane and DH :D . Who else is there? I'm sure I'm missing several others here. Are you able to come again Paul? How about Helen? And the ever quiet "Wantabegardener" Diana and her husband Garry? ;)

The hosta leaves are already made, so we are just going to paint them this time around. Maybe next summer we will also make them up, then have some to paint too :D
morgansrgr8

Post by morgansrgr8 »

I'm afraid we're not going to make it either. Our neighbor was going to watch our little farm but his wife has to have extensive surgery this week. Then to top it off my beans came on this week. I picked 2 bushel yesterday. The way things are going we are going to need those beans this winter. LOL Good news is Tom asked me to marry him. SHHHHHHHH I'm not suppost to tell anyone yet. If by some miracle we get to show up NOBODY SAY ANYTHING ABOUT IT. He will know I couldnt be quiet about it. LMAO OH Well I had to tell someone.
Have a great time. Next years garden and critters will be better planned for next year. If its going to be in July again I will plant accordingly. And 100 rabbits are to many for me to trust to someone else to take care of right now.
Linda
Linda
I know I am past the point of no return but what a way to go.

My Hosta List
ladyblue
USDA Zone: 5B

Post by ladyblue »

I will be there and bring my neighbor,Jeanne. I'll bring deviled eggs and brownies,and Jeanne will bring corn pudding.
Everything sounds like fun,Brian! I love Chris's baked spaghetti. It will be great to see everyone again!
Bonnie

pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

I'm still planning on being there too. :D
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Linda! .... :(

Bonnie!..... :cool:

Paul..... :beer: ......Love Paul!! :wink:
Wanda

Post by Wanda »

Linda (whispering...congratulations)!

Barring any last minute meltdowns, my sister Diana and I will be there! My husband is shaking in his shoes at the thought of being left alone ALL DAY and part of the night with MIL (hehehehehehe). Even though she is so nice now (and boy, does that creep us out since it is SO out of character), she can still drive you nuts in a matter of moments.

Jane: My offer of a ride still holds...PM me. We have to go right by there anyways, so its no trouble at all.

I am pretty sure Helen and Gary are coming - spoke to her a while ago.

What about Mike (Quela)? And hey, Dr. Dave...aren't you starting to exhibit symptoms of "icantworktoday-itis"? And what about John and his lady-friend?

I will bring some chocolate something...maybe cupcakes since they travel so well.

wanda
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

I'm sorry to hear that more people can't make it this year. But feel free to start planning for the last Saturday in July again for next year as that seems to always be available around the race schedule.

Are Mary and Brian able to make it?
Minnow
USDA Zone: 6
Location: Henderson County 35 19' 12.15" N 82 35' 40.40" W Elevation2143

Post by Minnow »

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl: I so miss being able to be there for this! The last 3 years it has been on a weekend that I work. August was always better. Oh Well! One of these years is will be on the right weekend again. Yáll have a ball! :beer: I will be thinking about ya!
Elizabeth

No man needs a vacation as bad as the man who has just had one.
New Topic Post Reply