About Outhouse Delight...

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

jgh

Re: About Outhouse Delight...

Post by jgh »

OMG... just thought of H. 'Sir Thomas Crapper' - the supposed inventor of the flush toilet, an urban myth so good that, though clearly false, continues to be repeated in print and media...
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

I've been chuckling at all the plays on words above. I DO think the idea of Outhouse Delight in the Chamber Pot is brilliant.
GrannyNanny above asked about Outhouse delight progeny and MyHostas database lists only 3 - 'Saw Mill' hybrid, 'Silver Mine' hybrid, and 'White Wall Tires' hybrid. Individual listings for each do not indicate a pollen parent so they are either OP or self pollinated.

I myself have an OD hybrid - a 2008 seedling. Last year it looked a bit streaky to me in July, but by August, it was just green. this spring, it emerged as white as OD and its leaves, at least at this stage are very similar. I suspect is was self pollinated as I don't believe I had any other hostas blooming at the same time or in the vicinity of OD.

These are what my plants looked like a week ago.

Ann
Outhouse Delight, June 29, 09.
Outhouse Delight, June 29, 09.
Outhouse_Delight-0629sx.jpg (116.84 KiB) Viewed 858 times
Outhouse Delight seedling, June 29, 09
Outhouse Delight seedling, June 29, 09
Outhouse_Delight-seedling-0629sx.jpg (116.37 KiB) Viewed 858 times
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Jim,

I have a Dremmel tool, but I'll probably put a small masonry bit in a drill, make a "dam" of clay on the surface (plumbers putty works well too), fill that dammed spot with water, and then drill through the bottom of the pot (the water keeping the bit wet). I'll have someone with a pitcher of water there to pour water into the dam as water is spewn out. I learned this trick when drilling through porcelain tile; DBF decided to retile his shower, I helped out and became "grinder girl". Hadn't heard the masking tape trick, will add that as well.

This chamber pot has no lid, and it's kind of gross to keep it sitting around. Much better to house something like Jim's H. 'Le Derrier' or perhaps H. 'Full Moon'? I like the idea of using my own hosta seedling. Don't know if there's a 'Full Moon' or not, I'll have to check. That would be soooo funny. :lol:
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
jgh

Post by jgh »

oh... the whole moon thing... yes... you have fertilized my imagination yet again...

Full Moon is taken - Lachman registration, 1991

but keep that imagination going... there is an endless supply of what it takes to fill a chamber pot...
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

'Full Moon' is a lovely small blue hosta. Might be a good choice.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:evil:

Here I was, serious thinking of Jims problem :hmm:

A mini Loosers Laine or

:lol: Can't be serious no more, Jim is just having great fun in his soapbox..and let us enjoy :D
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

What about "Crescent Moon", which is on the outhouse door?
~PIM~

Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

"Crescent Moon" makes me think of the plumber's smile (aka the sagging belt line) :eek: :lol: Perhaps a seedling with deep veins and rounded leaves. :lol: They cooked pork butt on TV this morning... :lol:
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

LOL!! Spider you are too much!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

There's also a "Waning Moon"...but I guess that's just another name for a crescent moon, just sounds funnier if thinking about a chamber pot.
~PIM~

jgh

Post by jgh »

oh, let's quit being so delicate... how about

H. 'Willie Makeit"
H. 'I. P. Daily'
H. 'Winnie Pooh'

I guess I could go with the real hosta, H. 'Pooh Bear'
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

God...I would so love to meet you!! You are intelligent, curious, a true seeker, fun AND so damn funny!! :lol:

I love your idea!
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
jgh

Post by jgh »

:blush: :blush: :blush:

thanks... I'm blushing...

and to think, much of this is the same behavior that got me in so much trouble with Sister Teresa in seventh grade!
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

LOL!!! Poor SisterTeresa!

What about a small round streaked seedling called 'streakin' moon'? Okay, I'll stop now. :lol:
~PIM~

rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

Now this has been a ' Delight'. I think I need an Out House Delight, just for a fun conversation piece! :lol:
Lovin' the great northwest!
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

Well, I thought about it and decided a hosta named Outhouse Delight would make Lew laugh, it made me laugh. 'Hornbaker' must have had a RUN on them, because they were sold out. so I went to 'Land of the Giants' and ordered one.NOw I have to find something to plant it in. I like Jim's idea, but 'Chamber Pots' are hard to come by. When I was a kid we drove across country and had to stay in what they called "Auto Courts", they were the forerunners of Motels and they all had a 'Chamber Pots' under the beds. Jeez, that tells you how old I am. :lol:
rosemarie

Post by rosemarie »

Well I recieved H. Outhouse Delight today. Pretty good service, I was able to get it into a pot(just a plain old 'garden variety pot'.) I figure by next spring I may have come up with something clever. I have 2 more Hosta ordered:Adorable and Warpaint, plus three heuchera. I want to get them in pots before winter sets in., maybe give them a good start, our winters are pretty mild(usually). :-? I lost so many plants I am trying to replace some of them and it's a good time to do it.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Yes Rosemary.. that's it, gardening have to be fun.

Do not think I have seen a chamber pot for years, but a sort of bucket may work too :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Post by Marlys »

Did I hear another party @ Jim & Sheila's??? Yippee!!! but this time please do something about the weather, especailly the hail. - MM
jgh

Post by jgh »

What fun to see this "chestnut" thread coming back from the old days. It just makes me smile to think of Lew getting Outhouse Delight in his garden! Thanks, Rosemarie.

and about the party - we'd love to have visitors - next year!

I was just writing an update post - but that should really go over on the Garden Bench... so I'll post it there!
New Topic Post Reply