As requested: The seedling vault July 2009 (LOTS of pics)

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

HostaDesigner

As requested: The seedling vault July 2009 (LOTS of pics)

Post by HostaDesigner »

I'm glad people enjoy the pics of "the vault" :lol: There are a LOT of pics in this thread, so I apologize to dial-up users. :oops:

Here's an update for July. You'll notice that a lot of the hostas are spotted and dirty. The tulip poplars are dripping TERRIBLE this year!

First just to start out, here is 'Continental Divide' this year. It's coloring up for its late summer show quite well.

Yeah...love tulips trees over hostas. :roll:

'Chickenhearted' is about to flower and huge this year. Can't wait to start using the pollen. Oh yeah, tulip trees again...

Seedlings in the vault when you first walk in. Most directly in front were planted last year, but crossed in 2007. (man, time flies when growing hostas)

Looking across the older seedlings. The original, still-streaked 'Continental Divide' division is the hosta leaf in the lower right.

This spring's little hosta babies.

Some of the big ones. 2004-5 seedlings. 'Fragrant Blue' seedlings midway up left side. Streaked 'Gold Standard' seedlings bottom half.

The main breeders this year.

The unnamed giant from Olga Petryszyn is center-back at about 40" tall. There is actualy a 55lb husky walking underneath it in this picture. You can see her white feet just under the gold leaves. In fact all these hostas originated from Olga (clockwise from left): Unnamed gold seedling, huge green unnamed, 'Great Plains', streaked 'Mardi Gras', 'Dorothy Benedict' x 'Elatior'.

Big. Green. Few flowers this year.

Leaf...

Hybridizing with 'Siberian Eyes', a new breeder I moved last year.

Few more streaker-breeders I'm using and/or waiting to stabilize.

Loving this one. 'Marbled Cream' x OP. It's july and it's still as fresh looking as it was in Late May.

2004 seedling, 'Delta Pride' x OP

HUGE hopes for this one. Large, and still VERY blue in July with fragrant flowers. Just began using the pollen this morning. 'Fragrant Blue' seedling. Spotting is from the tulip trees again.

Seedlings of 'Outrageous' center. Breeding with it is hard for some reason.

Just one I'm watching.

This is interesting to me. Suddenly, open pollinated flowers are no longer setting pods. This directly echoes my breeding success the past couple weeks. I bet 90% of my crosses have failed. Weird. The weather has been very good too.

My prized breeder this year. 'MPG-02' in my numbering system.

Some more tags. Fingers crossed if they're successful.

'Hatsushimo' F2 seedlings. S L O W but very beautiful. Grown in 2005, most are still single eye.

Nice little thing. Hope it stabilizes to a gold margin. About 2.5 - 3 feet across.

Incredible, vigorous, HUGE green seedling from the same 'Hatsushimo' F2 bunch in the previous pic. Been breeding with this one. The leaves are fantastic.

I used 10ft posts buried 3ft to make a 7'ft fence. Deer fencing is 7.5 feet, so I flared the bottom outward to help keep out rabbits. I ran a tension wire along the bottom to zip-tie the fence to for added tightness.

Top of the posts show the lag bolt and the tension wire also ran across the top.

Zip ties hold the fence tight.

One long side. The tension wire at the top also helps with falling limbs to prevent them from ripping the fence. The wire stops the branches and protects the fence.

Lastly, a simple door.

Whew, long post! Happy gardening!
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Re: As requested: The seedling vault July 2009 (LOTS of pics)

Post by thy »

Loved 'Hatsushimo' F2 seedlings untill I saw its brother... jummie
No comments at all... just tell me when you move the collection to the other side of the Pond... way easier for me to use the black dress......

Thanks for the apetite :lol:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
twoblackdogs
USDA Zone: 5

Post by twoblackdogs »

WOW!! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait for my teeny tiny Continental Divide from Olga's last year to get big in a couple or more years.
The fence detail was very helpful too!
govgirl75

Post by govgirl75 »

Amazing. Thanks for sharing your beautiful hosta collection and fortress fencing.
Glo
Trudy

Post by Trudy »

'Continental Divide' is a beauty. Great flowing form, color markings and color contrast.

The 'Marbled Cream' OP seedling is interesting. I dont always grow my seeds from MC, as they usually turn out with thin substance. Yours looks like it has lots of substance. 'Delta Pride' seedling has a unique color. Enjoy looking across and seeing the sea of seedlings.
Good job on getting this years seedlings planted out. Most of mine are still in pots.

Where does time go. It is fun to look out across the seedlings, and remember what year they were planted. Some change a lot over the years, some dont turn out like you expected at all.

Thanks for talking the time to show how your 'seed vault' was made. You did a wonderful job, and I am sure it took some time, and sore muscles to build the vault. Really appreciate seeing your fence photos...thanks again for taking the time to post the photos!

Questions....how do you keep all your weeds out? In the photos there is a lot of bare soil. Do you mulch?

Our neighbor has deer fence around their veggie garden, this year the rabbits have done a lot of damage by chewing through the bottom. Have you had any problems with rabbits chewing your fence? He had to get some hardware cloth or something in that order and put it around the bottom of the fence.

Also what kind of tags are you using to mark your crosses? Tried the small jewelry tags last year, and they would get wet and come off.
flowerchild59

Post by flowerchild59 »

Wow, what fab seedlings. Plus I really enjoyed the fencing pictures. Lots of practical ideas.
On the keyboard of life always keep one finger on the escape key.
Cheryl
My Hosta List
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

Thanks so much for showing us that. I'm drooling at the prospect of having enough space to do that.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I always enjoy seeing your gardens & the inhabitants of the vault. You've sure got a lot of nice seedlings to work with!!
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
jgh

Post by jgh »

mighty impressive!!!
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

Trudy wrote:Questions....how do you keep all your weeds out? In the photos there is a lot of bare soil. Do you mulch?
Hi Trudy, I do not mulch in the back yard or in the seedlings. In the spring I use Snapshot pre-emergent to keep the bulk of the early ones down. After that, I generally just pull em. I spread compost on the other beds in the backyard.
Trudy wrote:Our neighbor has deer fence around their veggie garden, this year the rabbits have done a lot of damage by chewing through the bottom. Have you had any problems with rabbits chewing your fence?
I have had holes chewed but they were from squirrels. I just repatch them with more fence. Not too big of a problem.
Trudy wrote:Also what kind of tags are you using to mark your crosses? Tried the small jewelry tags last year, and they would get wet and come off.
I actually do use jewelry tags, they are the adhesive that holds on my plastic tags made from cut up blinds. For a couple bucks from Walmart, you can buy a set of white blinds and have years worth of tags.

:beer:
jerry_br

Post by jerry_br »

Very very nice. I really appreicate you taking the time to post them.

Regards
Jerry
steg

Post by steg »

awesome..... :cool: :cool:
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

That is an excellent labelling idea!! :cool: I wasn't sure what I was seeing when I looked last nite.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Thanks for posting your pics, what great stock you have to work with. I love your labeling idea too, just great!
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

What a fantastic setup and some really beautiful hostas! Thanks for sharing all the pics. :D
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Trudy

Post by Trudy »

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. Will try your tag idea :)
Willowy

Post by Willowy »

Very nice seedlings. Continental Divide is lovely. I am curious...why is the vault so high - what are you keeping out?
a.k.a. hostabuff
My Hosta List & My Blog
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

Willowy wrote:Very nice seedlings. Continental Divide is lovely. I am curious...why is the vault so high - what are you keeping out?
Deer! We have lots of deer in the area. I would be offering a free salad bar if I didn't fence it off.
Willowy

Post by Willowy »

Where did you get the nice tags to mark your crosses. The last time I was crossing, I was using a colored string system and it was a nightmare to tie ...never mind keep track of...
a.k.a. hostabuff
My Hosta List & My Blog
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Thanks..I enjoyed seeing those great seedlings.
Love those tags..do you cut the blinds up during the winter in order to have enough of them ready to go?
I've used the blinds for years to mark plants, but had never thought of using them to mark crosses.
But then, I don't mark crosses anyway. Anyway, that's a super idea. How long do the jewelry tags
hold on? Do they hold up to a lot of rain and heat?
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply