Hosta sports, registration, etc.

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Wheasie

Hosta sports, registration, etc.

Post by Wheasie »

My 'Paradigm' has sported (I think that is what is it termed) a beautiful green off-shoot. I've nursed it along and it has turned into a very nice, shiney, corrugated, malichite green hosta. I usually give away green shoots that come off of my hybrids - they're usually not very impressive. But this one is quite striking (for a green).

What is the process of naming and registering a sport? I don't have visions of fame and glory, I just want to give it an "official" name. (I am a snob I guess and canNOT have any unamed hostas in my garden.)

Thanks!
Wheasie
HostaDesigner

Re: Hosta sports, registration, etc.

Post by HostaDesigner »

I did a little googling and apparently it is a common thing for 'Paradigm' to throw a green off shoot. That said, I wouldn't doubt if it has already been (or is in the process of being) registered. Usually green offshoots are just thrown away as reversions, but I guess technically a green form of 'Paradigm' is a sport, not a reversion.

If you feel it is worthy of registering, the info is here:

http://www.americanhostasociety.org/Reg ... Hosta.html

:beer:
jgh

Post by jgh »

We talked about this recently

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51889

I named mine "Ten Cents" - because it is half a Paradigm... I don't intend to register it, just named it for my garden...

Ken told us there is a green sport called "Green Glitter" and I think its correct registered name 'Glitter' - but that is the green sport from Abiqua Recluse, which is the gold parent of Paradigm, so I would be inclined to say this is, at least theoretically, a different sport... Chris noted he was surprised nobody had named what is a common sport... and I have grown accustomed to checking the very good database
http://myhostas.net/db/view/paradigm
and was surprised to see there is only one registered sport of Paradigm... Epiphany - a narrow centered, possibly tetraploid, sport.
Wheasie

Post by Wheasie »

The pic of "Green Glitter" on the Hostalibrary site is dead-on! I thought I might dub it "Ten-Cents" - funny that someone else did the same. Is there a picture you can share so that I can decide if my green sport is a sibling?

Wheasie
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

You could always name it 'Paronnicles' ---pair of nickles instead of a pair of dimes---- :lol:
Pieter

"Never trust anyone who doesn't have dog hair on their clothes."

Pieter's Hosta List
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Funny how you two had the same idea about naming it Ten Cents :)

Paradigm definitely sports a lot, and I got wondering about its parent plant, Abiqua Recluse, so checked it on the myhostas database myself, and it seems to sport quite a bit too.

I have several clumps with the solid green sport (need to take these off some day), clumps of solid yellow plants (likely reversions back to Abiqua Recluse) but then I also have clumps of a sport that comes up chartreuse and then develops a yellow edge. It is very subtle, but I like it. I found that sport in 2004, but it then sported to solid yellow and I almost lost track of the part that was different. After chopping out the solid yellow portions I have been waiting for it to grow up more to register it, but haven't a clue what to name it...
Wheasie

Post by Wheasie »

Pieter - THAT is a great name - I love it! I'd like to use it (with your permission).

Louise
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Gopherit girl! :lol: That's the main reason I made the suggestion.....
Pieter

Pieter's Hosta List
Wheasie

Post by Wheasie »

'Paronnicles' - accent on the 'o' or second 'n'?

L.
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Well, fair question I suppose... it's derived from 'pair-o-nickles' so perhaps it should be just the single 'n'-- as in 'Paronicles'. The trick is to get the emPHAsis correct I guess.... :D ultimately that'll be your choice, I simply wanted to give an example and I'm thrilled to hear you like the suggestion. When all's said and done though it'll only be your garden name for it. For a while at least that is, unless you decide to pursue this and actually register it, which for this type of sport doesn't sound as if it'll be worthwhile.... It's all kinda like me calling the green sports I see out of the 'Revolution's I have, 'Green Revolution', it's just a garden name.... there's plenty of folks out there with the same thing by the sounds of it.
Pieter

Pieter's Hosta List
Don Rawson

Post by Don Rawson »

I beg to differ with everyone on this. Actually, an all-green Paradigm would have TWICE as much green as the original plant and should therefore be called something like 'Forty Cents', 'Four Dimes', or 'Paraparadigm'. Or perhaps you could name it after the bird, 'Peregrine' (pair-of-green), since it has twice as much green.
Wheasie

Post by Wheasie »

Oh, this is fun and I'm completely entertaining! WOW - so many choices and I like the "twice" concept as well!

L.
Don Rawson

Post by Don Rawson »

Okay, let me get this straight. You had a 20 cent hosta that now is only worth half as much because it turned all-green. Wouldn't that be a 'Lime Dime'?
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Don Rawson wrote:Okay, let me get this straight. You had a 20 cent hosta that now is only worth half as much because it turned all-green.
....which is why I suggested 'Par-o-nicles'......
Pieter

Pieter's Hosta List
New Topic Post Reply