'Dust Devil' - how much sun?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Wheasie

'Dust Devil' - how much sun?

Post by Wheasie »

I planted my little, itty-bitty 'Dust Devil' in a protected place a couple of years ago. (Nearly lost it in the great move of 2005.) Well, it is getting bigger and if it goes to the size listed in the database on the Hostalibrary, it can't stay there. I have a great place for it where it's unique coloration can be appreciated up-close. But, it gets a lot of morning and early afternoon direct sun. Up until now it has been in shade with a little bit of filtered sun which sort of tells me that to keep its current coloration, I need a similar location.

Any experience or feedback that you can share with me regarding light for this hosta would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Louise
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: 'Dust Devil' - how much sun?

Post by Chris_W »

I've never tried it in that much sunlight, but it is certainly a thick enough leaf that it should be able to take it. Moving it now might be a bit of a shock, but next year it would adjust to its new lighting better. Just keep it well watered when you move it (water deeply about 3 times a week). The tri-color effect of the margin always shows up quicker when planted in more light, but I'm not sure what it would do with too much...
barbara

Re: 'Dust Devil' - how much sun?

Post by barbara »

Growing it in full sun for the past year, and its doing better than ever...keep watering, it will be happy as most hostas are :)
New Topic Post Reply