Sun-tolerant WHITE-EDGED hostas?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
Wheasie

Sun-tolerant WHITE-EDGED hostas?

Post by Wheasie »

OK - in reference to my prior email, I am still relocating hostas and also have a place that "needs" a ML white-edged hosta. I don't want the green to fade. I have the following that could be relocated:

not "Antioch" but a recent intr'd sport
Ebb Tide
Blue Ivory (the "blue" tells me not)
Lakeside Dragonfly
Patriot

Thanks again!
Louise
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Re: Sun-tolerant WHITE-EDGED hostas?

Post by Ginger »

Not sure about the ones you mentioned but maybe Patriot would be okay. I have found the dark green with white edge do okay in sun here in OK. I have Francee which has a small to medium edge and Bridal Veil which has a very thin edge and they both get quite a bit of afternoon sun and have not shown any burn. A few hours of OK sun in the afternoon equals twice that many hours up north, but I am not sure what Kentucy is like. Hopefully someone with a lot more knowledge than I will post.

Good luck!

Ginger
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
Noreaster

Post by Noreaster »

I would think the white in Blue Ivory would do that green misting thing that it's known for with more heat/sun. I don't care for that, so mine is in almost full shade and still looks pure white.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

From your list, if the not "Antioch" is related to antioch then it would probably be okay. I've had Antioch in a lot of sunlight and it does fine when kept watered. Patriot might do alright, though some tell me it burns. I agree, wouldn't put Blue Ivory in a hot spot as it will lose its white edge. Lakeside Dragonfly might burn, it seems a little tender at times, and I don't have any experience with Ebb Tide.
Wheasie

Post by Wheasie »

Thank you for your expertise. I think I'll put 'Patriot' to the test - it has never done great where its at - maybe it would like more sun. (The 'Antioch' relative is 'Ice Follies' - the brain just goes '"DUH" sometimes.)

L.
Rosenzobel

Post by Rosenzobel »

My Patriot grows in sun ( nearly 7 hours) and it is doing well :Image
I also got a few hostas in sun ( from early morning till midday-) and they seem to like it- ( less or more..;-) ): In this bed you see a sieboldiana ( in the back) -a chinese sunrise ( likes the sun) and a few unknown beautys ( the small one in the front on the left side could be golden tiara i guess???:Image

greetz mel
jobranch
USDA Zone: 7B

Post by jobranch »

I have both Francee and also several Patriots. I love both of them, but the Francee looks less ratty by the end of the season.
New Topic Post Reply