Which are holding up well - which are going down early?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Which are holding up well - which are going down early?

Post by Chris_W »

Hi there!

On another thread people started talking about this already, but I was wondering if we could make it an "official" discussion of its own.

Which plants are still holding up really well in your garden?

Which plants are going down early?

I'm going to take a walk around tomorrow to check everything out and hopefully get some pictures, but I do know that I have some Pandora's Box that are WAY too wet right now, actually there is some moss growing on the soil where they are planted, and they are going down way too soon. On the other hand I have another group of Pandora's Box up on the hill in a different spot with good drainage which are sending out a new flush of foliage!

English Sunrise was in a spot with way too much sunlight and they fried... Now they are potted up, in the shade, and new leaves are coming out.

American Halo is sort of holding its own. Hasn't grown at all after flowering, as expected with the sieboldiana plants which only have one flush of foliage per season, and now that the dormant buds are starting to POP the older leaves are starting to go down (the dormant buds swell and damage the base of the petioles).

Hanky Panky is starting to send out a new flush of leaves, but otherwise they are in their holding pattern between that great spring look and the reverse coloration that looks so nice in the fall.

Blue Haired Lady is sending out some attractive flowers and is really glossy. Grows like a weed too :D I'll share a picture of that one for now.
Attachments
hostabluehairedlady.jpg
newtohosta-no more

Re: Which are holding up well - which are going down early?

Post by newtohosta-no more »

I'll have to take a walk around my yard and see what ones look like they are going down, but historically my Nigrescens is one of the last to go down.
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
redcrx
USDA Zone: 7

Post by redcrx »

Some of my Red Cardinal Flower are looking messy. These normally can withstand frost and go well into November. But they may have been hit with "weed and feed".
Ed McHugh, Sicklerville NJ
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
steg
USDA Zone: 5

Post by steg »

Here are some that are doing well....
Dream Queen
Dream Queen
Dream Queen_small.JPG (104.34 KiB) Viewed 1392 times
Prairie Magic - in a fair amount of direct sun in the middle of the day
Prairie Magic - in a fair amount of direct sun in the middle of the day
Prarie Magic_small.JPG (108.95 KiB) Viewed 1392 times
Lakeside Shore Master
Lakeside Shore Master
L Shoremaster_small.JPG (116.75 KiB) Viewed 1392 times
Not pictured but doing well -
Old Glory
Touch of Class
Last edited by steg on Aug 25, 2009 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
steg
USDA Zone: 5

Post by steg »

Got picture of Rainforest Sunrise too....
Rainforest Sunrise_small.JPG
Rainforest Sunrise_small.JPG (111.84 KiB) Viewed 1392 times
Like Prairie Magic, this one is in a lot of direct sun during the middle of the day.
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

My Fragrant Bouquet family is doing well with lots of big flowers.
Attachments
Gaucamole 2009
Gaucamole 2009
Sweet Innocence 2009
Sweet Innocence 2009
Group - The Shining(2), Cathedral Windows, Fragrant Bouquet
Group - The Shining(2), Cathedral Windows, Fragrant Bouquet
Fragrant Bouquet 2009  3rd season
Fragrant Bouquet 2009 3rd season
Stained Glass (two of them with Sum and Substance between them)
Stained Glass (two of them with Sum and Substance between them)
ImageMockingbird feeding juvenile yellow raisons - never leave home without them.
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Doing well in Oklahoma

Gucamole
Halcyon
Bridal Veil
Fire Island (it is dark green but looking fine, and I love the red of the stalks against the dark green)
Majesty
June (dark dark green but doing well)

The rest of mine are hanging in there, but they are being slowly eaten by grasshoppers :eek:
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

In the same area as my Fragrant Bouquet family I have Zounds that looks like it's cooking and I have Unforgettable with has disentgrated the same way it did last year - time to move both of these to more shade.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Royal Standard looks great and is full of flowers - the number of flowers open at the same time make it standout.
Ed_B
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by Ed_B »

I had a very dry cool summer lasted until mid August before we had any real rain.
I do not water

I have pictures from two different beds, the "road bed" that gets morning sun then filtered shade, and the "rock bed" that is all day shade.

My Thunderbolt in the "road bed" was badly sunscald, while the one in full shaded "rock bed" stayed clean

Liberty, Alex Summers, Touch of Class all in the "road bed" handled the sun with ease
Attachments
Hosta road bed Alex Summers.JPG
Hosta road bed Alex Summers.JPG (59.25 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
Hosta road bed Liberty.JPG
Hosta road bed Liberty.JPG (59.76 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
Hosta road bed Thunderbolt.JPG
Hosta road bed Thunderbolt.JPG (52.53 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
Hosta road bed Touch of Class.JPG
Hosta road bed Touch of Class.JPG (54.59 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
Ed_B
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by Ed_B »

Rock bed
Attachments
Hosta rock bed Don Quixote.JPG
Hosta rock bed Don Quixote.JPG (58.77 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
Hosta rock bed Thunderbolt.JPG
Hosta rock bed Thunderbolt.JPG (53.96 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
Hosta rock bed, name in question blue.JPG
Hosta rock bed, name in question blue.JPG (49.81 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by ViolaAnn »

I'm home from Vancouver and had a look at mine today. MOST are still doing quite well with the exception of more slug damage than I usually get because of our WET summer. The biggest exception is Invincible which has many brown leaves although it's blooming madly.

Venus as EIGHT flower scapes - not quite open, but almost. I'll try to get some pics in the yard tomorrow.

Ann
Last edited by ViolaAnn on Sep 02, 2009 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
sugar

Post by sugar »

With our milder climate (both winter and summer), plants are not only emerging earlier, but they keep on going quite long : most of my hosta are still looking really good (except for the minor slug and vine weevil damage, and the flower stalks that start to be a bit messy)
I expect them to keep on going like this until somewehere in october
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

I've been spending a lot of time in the garden digging recently. There's one that has always looked like crap every year long before Sept 1st - Abiqua Trumpet. But the way the light situation is now for it [virtually none] and the very moist, unusually cool summer we've had here in SW Iowa has it still looking like its spring. Usually by late June it looks like it's been painted with dots of rust.. So I'd only advise growing this one in almost total shade & normal Pacific Northwest temps/moisture. Which is where this one originated... It was a very pleasant surprise when I dug it the other day.

Others still looking good include most of the fragrant ones: Guacamole, Fried Green Tomatoes, Fried Bananas, plantagenia, Stained Glass, Fragrant Dream. Emily Dickinson always looks her best at this time of year. The newer leaves put out before she flowers are just gorgeous to look at w/a much wider margin & more subtle color variations in the center. I need to get some pics of the leaves.

Others still looking good: Silk Kimono, Squash Casserole, Paradigm, Potomac Pride, Venetian Blue, Permanent Wave, Ebb Tide, montana Aureomarginata, Jade Cascade, Komodo Dragon, Regal Splendor, Sun Power, June, English Sunrise, Halcyon, Remember Me, Dark Star, Abiqua Moonbeam, September Sun, and a new one to me from last year is Mourning Dove. Absolutely gorgeous coloring on this one & it still looks just as fresh as it did in spring!! I highly recomend it.
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

I see I promised you some Venus pics. I've taken some, but don't yet have them downloaded.

I see Invincible, Paul's Glory, Stained Glass and Rickrack showing definite signs of decline. Rickrack is severe enough that I may get rid of it. PG doesn't usually decline quite so early, but it was lifted and divided in the spring. Has also suffered from squirrels jumping into it from the oak tree above. The Baby Bunting family declined a long time ago, but I think it was too wet in their container from all the rains we've had.

Mack the Knife has really ragged edges. It's another which has failed to thrill me over the years - what are your experiences with it?

Ann
Ann
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

Doing well - Venus. Pictures taken yesterday and today.
The whole plant.
The whole plant.
Venus-flower-0903-6sx.jpg (116.73 KiB) Viewed 1219 times
Close-up of the bloom.
Close-up of the bloom.
Ann
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Just noticed that Paul's Glory and Sun Power are doing well.
redcrx

Post by redcrx »

Just noticed Remember Me has gone down. I have 3 that went in last season - 2 are totally gone while the other has a few leaves left. I thought they would hold up better because I remember last season the June siblings were the last to go. Touch of Class and Olympic Sunrise were around in November.
rosey_posey
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by rosey_posey »

High Society, Squash Casserole, Gunther's Prize and Blaze of Glory still look very pretty. Potomac Pride and Wolverine are among many of mine that look sad! :cool:

Rose
digs57

Post by digs57 »

Believe it or not, my whole garden is still looking darn good. I took a spin round it yesterday, and it seems that the shutting down is much postponed in comparison with previous years, probably thanks to our very wet and relatively cool July. Raspberry Sorbet & Plantaginea are still in bloom, as is (of course!) Red October and a few of the other laties. I'm projecting another 3 weeks of garden joy ahead of us this season, at a minimum.
...greening up the Great White North!!!

Digs' hosta list
45° 22' N 75° 43' W, 114 metres (374 ') above sea level.
New Topic Post Reply