Seeds - viable or not?

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
ViolaAnn
USDA Zone: 5a

Seeds - viable or not?

Post by ViolaAnn »

I've wondered for awhile now about some of my varieties which NEVER produce seeds and others that produce seeds but not viable plants. I've also seen comments that hostas in the Fortunei family rarely set see, but I've got a Fortunei Aureomarginata and a Francee which are both simply loaded with seed pods. Will those seed pods produce viable seeds?

So, I'm wondering from which varieties I should never expect to see seeds. How about Alleghan Fog and Fujibotan? So far, never a seed pod.

How about Cherry Berry? I've been told it will produce nothing but "fatal whites" and the year that I tried growing those seeds all the plants were indeed white and died quite soon. Is that always the case?

Are there others that never produce viable seeds or viable seedlings? What are your experiences?

Ann
Ann
Pictures of Ann's Hostas:
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
dmi188

Re: Seeds - viable or not?

Post by dmi188 »

I never believe reports of viability. Hyacinthina is supposedly infertile. It sets fewer pods than some, but I have some seedlings from it. A plant may produce 99.9% fatal whites, so grow them, and maybe one will be a spectacular plant. I like to play the odds, and work with plants that no one else is. Fertility reports may be based on one persons results for one season. Why not try, and see what you get, if you have the room to grow them.
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

I don't have room to grow them, but I don't let that stop me. LOL

I still wonder if anyone has ever gotten seeds from 'Alleghan Fog' or 'Fujibotan'.
Ann
http://violaann.smugmug.com/Garden/Host ... 361_qL3gHS (SmugMug gallery now updated for 2016)
HostaDesigner

Post by HostaDesigner »

I have grown seedlings from Night Before Christmas knowing that most are also lethal white. (that sounds scary :lol: )

Some of the white turned green, rather than dying. Some were even streaked and unstable.

NEVER say never when it comes to seeds. :beer:

Night Before Christmas seedlings... Seedling with green stripe (far right middle) became the hosta in the pic below.

NBC F1 seedling.
ViolaAnn

Post by ViolaAnn »

Nice looking hosta! :-)
Ann
R. Rock
USDA Zone: 3-4

Post by R. Rock »

Hello,
A simple way to tell if a seed has a chance/viable is too only keep the dark black ones. I crack the pod a little to see what is inside.
Good Luck
Be part of the solution
dmi188

Post by dmi188 »

I have grown Allegan Fog...not gotten anything special tho.
scootersbear

Post by scootersbear »

Glad nobody told me NBC grew whites because I've grown seedlings from it yearly for atleast 6 years, and have seed pods on it this year, nothing special out of it just plain jane greens but goes to show , never know what your gonna get.
New Topic Post Reply