The Soil Toil... Clay for garden critters

Talk about hostas, hostas, and more hostas! Companion plant topics should be posted in the Shade Garden forum.

Moderators: ViolaAnn, redcrx, Chris_W

New Topic Post Reply
sis20001
USDA Zone: 5

The Soil Toil... Clay for garden critters

Post by sis20001 »

Actually, I did spend one sunny hour molding some garden critters from the heavy clay I was digging. What the heck, ya gotta have some fun while you're stuck in the mud.

Seriously I do have soil issues. We live in a wetland area. We have installed a couple french drains to help with drainage. When we had landscapers working, they simply dumped 3" of top soil and an inch or two of mulch on top of rocks and clay. Personally, I wouldn't call that preparing garden beds. In a couple large beds the soil is constantly damp to the point of squish. We have a slate pathway with landscape fabric and much between stones that never dries. It's pungent, unpleasant and it stinks too. Portions of the bed have the same odor. I could smell it when they were landscaping so it's not new.

My home remedy for the pathway kind of works. I dug down about 12" or so and took out the heavy hunks of clay that range in color from gray to orange. (Did you know that smooth stones that are imbedded in clay are the same exact color as the clay?) Fascinating stuff! Anyway, I back filled with top soil mixed with pearlite, heavy grit and stones. I laid cobblestones on top of that. In areas that were on a higher level I just removed the 3" of heavy mulch down to the fabric. With all the beautiful stones I've collected I'm making stone ‘mosaics’ where the mulch was. Now it drains better. Not great, but better. Plus it’s great therapy. I even found 3 Petoskey stones. Big ones.

Now, the big question. What, if anything, can I do about the stinky soil? Is that normal? Some is akin to ammonia, but most is just a sickly, pungent, malodorous and unpleasant. The deeper I dig the stinkier it gets.

On the other side of the path, where the large pines are located, it's pretty darn dry. If you tap the surface on the ground with a tool it sounds hollow. That’s an easier issue and I'm working on it. But I don’t know how to fight the aggressive pine tree roots.

Boy have I learned a lot in the last couple of years. Experience is a great teacher and so is Mother Nature. If you don't follow her rules, she isn't all that forgiving.

Thanks for any advice, sis
Attachments
The very beginning of my little stone project
The very beginning of my little stone project
09 AUGUST hostas, HVX emma cottage 043.jpg (31.39 KiB) Viewed 491 times
Last edited by sis20001 on Oct 03, 2009 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
DBoweMD

Re: The Soil Toil... Clay for garden critters

Post by DBoweMD »

Sounds like you would be best to build raised beds with railroad ties.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Thanks for sharing your story.

Yes, trying to work in really heavy, wet, mucky soil can be a challenge. Back when we did landscaping it seemed that almost every new home was backfilled around with that stinky stuff. All of the houses we did in these situations had raised beds put it. Most were at least 6" off the clay, but if there was room at the base of the house we would shoot for higher. Also, we often turned down the sprinkler systems. We installed gardens, but not sprinklers, and in every case the sprinklers were running too long and too often for the situation. The soil should only be watered to the point of runoff, then allowed to dry before the sprinkler runs again. I suppose, though, if you are in a wetland situation that you probably don't ever have to water there.

One thing that comes to mind is that you mention there is fabric down. If there is fabric in the garden beds I would get rid of it. The mulch on top will break down in time and should percolate into the clay below. If there is fabric, the mulch can't do its job of improving the soil. The fabric also can prevent the soil from breathing, which might keep it "yucky" longer. 3" of top soil and a couple inches of mulch, with regular fresh mulch annually can really help a garden over time, but not if there is weed fabric. Get rid of the fabric, let the soil breath better, and keep adding organic matter on top.

The only time I would recommend removing any soil is if there isn't room around the house foundation to add more on top. Just be careful when digging down into clay as it can create a pond where all the water collects.

There isn't much you can do about the pine roots. It just isn't going to be a spot for hostas. Experiment with other shade perennials that don't mind root competition.

Hope that helps a little.

Chris
R. Rock
USDA Zone: 3-4

Post by R. Rock »

Hello,
I believe your smelling carbon. In heavy wet situations it will be rancid and pungent. The carbon smell will also be at higher levels if vegatation has been covered up; such as grass, or other legumes.
It looks as if you have things under control.
I wish you had had a better experience w/ so called "landscaper". I am sorry to say that are many w/o much experience or few that really have the common sense to think things through. Parts of the "industry" are to concentrated on "monies" rather than the name on the job.
Should you need assistance again, find someone w/ their own gardens, previous projects, and evaluate their wisdom at that time.
All in all, all trades and titles are filled w/ this misrepresentation of what "they" are really capable and experienced with.
A vast majority of my work is fixing projects that are relatively new.
I put my name on every job. Yes, I still am learning, and will continue. Never had a call back in near 20 years. Business is thriving currently, and the future looks good also. I have worked diligently to acheive this, and am very proud of the name representation. Many in the community have brought to my attention about the work, creativity, and knowledge. "I can just drive around and tell instantly the work you have done" :D
Good Luck
Be part of the solution
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

We have installed a couple french drains to help with drainage
Do not know what french drains is, but my first thought was a sort of drainage.. if you have any area where you could let the water run to.
Other wise, did a huge hole in one of the lowest areas. let the drains go there and add a pump, may even let the warer go to the dry areas.
next possibillity is remove the good soil and add loads of stones or wood cuttings, dig it in the clay and add more- dig it in a bit too, then you refill with a lot of good soil.

Lots of hard work I know.
Chriss have a good point about the fabric, it will make the rainworms job impossible, there is no way they can penetrate the fabric, bringing humus to the clay and make channals of air down there.

Good luck

By the way I know exactly what you talk about when you talk about landscapers... yes the job here was a horror story too, ask around is a good advise, but as a newbee to an area... it is a bit difficult :(
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply